Red water by the volleyball courts at manly today??

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

rae
Local

Red water by the volleyball courts at manly today??

Post by rae » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:03 am

Out for a little surf and one of the strangest things ive ever seen. Random red clumps of water, and so you had waves breaking with patchest of red and green. WIERD!!!!

Anyone else see it and have any ideas of what was up?? its got me curious!

Felix
Local

Post by Felix » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:31 am

20 or so years ago much of the northern beaches had red algae that coloured the water. Maybe it is returning?

Eski
regular

Post by Eski » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:37 am

Last year I was in port maq, and some beaches were absolutly covered in this red algae. Really discusting stuff, fingers crossed it doesn't come over here.

Freshie Boy
regular

Post by Freshie Boy » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:23 am

try not to accidentally swallow any of it. you will get sick.

its algae. caused by too many nutrients and pollution in urban runoff and stormwater, which isnt surprising after the rain.

Holy Smoke
regular

Post by Holy Smoke » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:28 pm

stoive
barnacle

Post by stoive » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:29 pm

it was up the coast during last summer

Hound
Grommet

Post by Hound » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:02 pm

Lovely the red algae's here!!

Spent a few months living in Port Mac last summer, it was so bad around there that days on Town Beach had red waves rolling thru and times when you couldn't see your board whilst you were sat on it. the whole region was like it, up to Crescent and down past Camden Haven....not nice.

really hope we don't get it here in Sydney....it stinks, and i live too close to the beach (did i just say that?)

Eski
regular

Post by Eski » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:27 pm

Hound wrote:Lovely the red algae's here!!

Spent a few months living in Port Mac last summer, it was so bad around there that days on Town Beach had red waves rolling thru and times when you couldn't see your board whilst you were sat on it. the whole region was like it, up to Crescent and down past Camden Haven....not nice.

really hope we don't get it here in Sydney....it stinks, and i live too close to the beach (did i just say that?)
Yeah I have a few photos of red waves rolling in...
beaches that were usually jam packed didn't even have one person in between the flags.

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:46 pm

Always used to encounter this on the north coast at certain times of the year.

brownhornet
Grommet

Red algae

Post by brownhornet » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:40 pm

There are multiple species of red algae which live between the inter tidal zone and the continental shelf located approximately 18 kilometres off the mid north coast. Alagae are the basis of the marine food chain and the warm summer currents bring nutrients which enables the algae to multiply. Port Mac has suffered the red weed forever. Kicks in Dec to Feb really bad. Makes you wonder why tourists visit the town. I have seen it so bad that the entire stretch of coast is a thick red mess. It actually hangs around PM most of the year to some extent.

Having seen Manly beach this is different. This is very much an algae bloom that is not based around the same weed on the mid-north coast. Pollution?

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:14 pm

i hate the weed with all my might....horriable smellie itchy yucky weedie stuff :!:

but i'll prefer it over pollution run off.....which i guess is wat u got in manly :?:

no wonder sea eagle supporters have 2 heads.....18 toes.....4 thumbs
:lol:

shit /grot/waste and sewerage.....sydney...your surfin in it :shock:

xe
regular

Post by xe » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:23 pm

algae bloom was off manly yesterday doing a charter massive pools of this red algae hope we don't get a south easter!!!!!!!! all the way to 8 nm out.

saw heaps of blue bottles too

here is a interesting link

http://www.cmar.csiro.au/remotesensing/ ... t.html[url][/url]

One Mile Point
Snowy McAllister

Post by One Mile Point » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:06 pm

Birubi beack AKA Stockten regualry gets the red algae when a south swell is running

macgreggor
regular

Post by macgreggor » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:03 pm

Interesting

South coast, particularly JB is infested with it at the moment, which may diffuse the pollution theory. Looking at current sea surface temps at the moment there is a distinct temp change just south and wide of Sydney which may be producing an upwelling effect. Did a visual inspection from the inside of about 20 4ft A frame barrels today and didn't see any red, or people, people are the biggest parasites... lol.

The Oracle
regular

Post by The Oracle » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:49 am

ha Has anyone mentioned Port Macquarie yet...? Love the place and head up every December but yeah, the beaches are usually thick with it. I've usually found Flynns to be the worst, with Lighthouse the best chance of avoiding it (just a tip for the summer travellers...)

sparky_12
regular

Post by sparky_12 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:07 am

on sunday i checked out manly, it was out to queensie bombie so yeah, looks pretty wierd