Coal Ship runs aground in Newy

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:37 pm

Larry wrote:who's going to be the 1st out there surfing on the lee side of that boat ?

Booger or Board ?
larry, im leaving work right now, gunna give it a shot.
the only problem is, this is one of the spots i have been in trouble with the cops in the past.
when that helicopter was called a few years ago, and the police rescue squad, the police boat, ambulance and the cops.

for a surf craft this size they prob call in the navy, ses and those agents from independance day:wink:

austeve
regular

Post by austeve » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:41 pm

Could get nasty now -

Fears are mounting that the grounded bulk carrier Pasha Bulker could break up as traces of fuel begin washing up on a Newcastle beach.

Two creases on each side of the ship can be seen as engineers begin efforts to assess the damage.

The Newcastle Port Corporation said there is a possibility of the ship breaking up, ABC radio reported.

Mrs Kreepy
Local

Post by Mrs Kreepy » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:42 pm

I think i'm gunna have to burn down for this one. there'd have to be a sweet wedge startin once the wind dies down a bit. boooyah.

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:45 pm

Has anyone see the MHL bouy readings?
Hsig 6m and rising
Hmax 12m and still going up
10sec from SE

Biggest I can remember sydney bouy going for ages

stinky_wes
regular

Post by stinky_wes » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:47 pm

I was watching some smokers go through at The Harbour this morning, off its nuts. Then my brother asks me if i have seen the tanker off Nobby's yet. I jump over the other side of the breakwall and fair enough there is a ship going right through the reefs at the northern end of the beach (mainly the one between the rocks and nobbys reef). Don't know how it didn't topple over while broadsiding the shallow reef.

When I left it was sitting at a nice 45 degree angle to the beach, and was making a sandbank in record time. Latest reports are of the ship cracking due to the strains.

The other two ships are getting beaten onto Stockton beach as well, with both expected to be aground in a few hours. Maybe we will get some new wrecks to surf over there (as well as the Sygna).

Dunno about getting a wave off it just yet. The cops were stopping surfers from walking around to the harbour. They are letting them through now though, and there are plenty more barrels to be had. Get out there Marcus, i might see you out there (yellow surfboard).

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:59 pm

stinky_wes wrote:I was watching some smokers go through at The Harbour this morning, off its nuts. Then my brother asks me if i have seen the tanker off Nobby's yet. I jump over the other side of the breakwall and fair enough there is a ship going right through the reefs at the northern end of the beach (mainly the one between the rocks and nobbys reef). Don't know how it didn't topple over while broadsiding the shallow reef.

When I left it was sitting at a nice 45 degree angle to the beach, and was making a sandbank in record time. Latest reports are of the ship cracking due to the strains.

The other two ships are getting beaten onto Stockton beach as well, with both expected to be aground in a few hours. Maybe we will get some new wrecks to surf over there (as well as the Sygna).

Dunno about getting a wave off it just yet. The cops were stopping surfers from walking around to the harbour. They are letting them through now though, and there are plenty more barrels to be had. Get out there Marcus, i might see you out there (yellow surfboard).
ill be wearing a helmet with a torch duct taped on with yellow sticky tape.

robzig
Local

Post by robzig » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:21 pm

:|
Last edited by robzig on Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

surfin39
charger

Post by surfin39 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:26 pm

barstardos wrote:Has anyone see the MHL bouy readings?
Hsig 6m and rising
Hmax 12m and still going up
10sec from SE

Biggest I can remember sydney bouy going for ages
there was a news break just on and they interviewed the Newcastle harbour master about the new tourist attraction :wink: and he said they recorded a 17.9m :shock: swell through one of the bouys this afternoon ... that is "kn BIG" my friends ...

Larry
barnacle

Post by Larry » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:54 pm

' How did the ship manage to be pushed ashore? ' I hear you ask ..

A combination of massive seas and onshore gale-force winds caught the boat midships and it was unable to come around and head into the weather.

' Why didn't the ship head for deeper water last night? ' I hear you cry..

Not all of the ships off Newcastle have enough fuel in their bunkers to do that, some have just enough to get them into the coal terminal.

andycumo
Local
Location: anywhere thats shallow and hollow and uncrowded. ie; not sydney

Post by andycumo » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:06 pm

not to mention the storm surge which is basically just a fucken massive tide pushing in thats causing havoc

AZ
regular

Post by AZ » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:07 pm

Larry wrote:' How did the ship manage to be pushed ashore? ' I hear you ask ..

A combination of massive seas and onshore gale-force winds caught the boat midships and it was unable to come around and head into the weather.
Really? I thought they were just lost and drove onto the beach. It suprises me that the 55kt onshore wind gusts and reulting large seas had something to do with it.....

Larry
barnacle

Post by Larry » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:10 pm

Some are saying that the skipper of the grounded ship was trying to make port on dwindling fuel supplies - not enough to get out of trouble so he went for it .. Memories of all those wrecks on the old Oyster Bar

Beets
regular

Post by Beets » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:27 pm

Looks like there's a nice wedge forming on the southern side of the ship...
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/20 ... 946306.htm
(Video Link on right hand side of page)

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:34 pm

amazing image

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:38 pm

and another coal mine opening means more ships!

I counted 38 just before xmas.

cheesey101
regular

Post by cheesey101 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:38 pm

robzig wrote:that's what happens when you try and go left on a righthander

:D
haha now thats just fu.kn funny

austeve
regular

Post by austeve » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:41 pm

Maybe they are just drug runners who came in close to meet up with a fleet of rubber duckies & got caught out :shock:

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:52 pm

Most ships will carry extra fuel to be used as ballast so I'm not sure if fuel was the issue. It looks high and dry now though and will be a while before the tugs can get a line on it. There is a real possibility of it breaking up and you can bet there will be shit everywhere from heavy fuel oil that is toxic black waxy shit that sticks as well as hydraulic oil, waste oil / sludge and possibly ruptured sewerage tank. Does anyone remember the one that went aground at Wanda? Difference here is sand bottom as opposed to rocky bottom.