Exercise besides surfing?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Nick-W
barnacle

Post by Nick-W » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:01 pm

Not if you want to effectively build muscle. It decreases the blood flow to your freshly torn muscles. Which you need.

snakes
barnacle

Post by snakes » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:06 pm

Steroids will fix that :oops:

dammit__01
Owl status

Post by dammit__01 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:31 pm

C'ress, seems like your over working your body, that can have a reverse effect ... is it a self developed program or did a trainer help you with it )he/she wud no more than me)

But it seems your doing a shit load ... body will most likely burn out.

Seems alot on here go to the GYM, whats your membership??? How often do you go??? Price??? I did it for a bit just lost motivation, no fun = no do.

Nick-W
barnacle

Post by Nick-W » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:33 pm

My steroid dealer is out of town, I miss vortex.

If you want a good, legal, very effective, and safe method try,

Tribulus, protein and zinc. Itll work very quick. And make you horny as hell with plenty of energy. Good for dammit's minute of glory.

Nick-W
barnacle

Post by Nick-W » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:37 pm

Fitness first and UNSW gym. Im there about 3-4 days.
I'll be slammed for this, but mum and dad pay the fitness first membership and the other was free, I KNOW PEOPLE.

dammit__01
Owl status

Post by dammit__01 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:57 pm

if you want a good cheap way use creatine (spelling??)

Only problem is testrone levels get a bit un easy ... meaning you could become a '%@!' to your mates.

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:34 am

Walking from the paddock in the "BEER GARDEN" to the house for another beer and changing hands while drinking it .............. :wink: :lol:

bro
Local

Post by bro » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:46 am

surf up to 10 times a week (surf permitting), run a bit (4 lengths of Manly beach), throw in a 100 press ups every now and then and swim a bit.

But I am still not paddle fit and I have no idea why. Any clues people?

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:31 am

I play Dodge Ball on Monday nights (also called Poison Ball)

It's a really good workout, lots of quick bursts running around and plenty of upper-body stuff with the throwing.

I also go to the gym once a week, usually do 20 min run on the treadmill and about 50 mins of weights. I don't do big weights either, just smaller ones with more reps focused on biceps, triceps, lats, shoulders etc...

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:33 am

Rockin' Ron wrote:
bro wrote: But I am still not paddle fit and I have no idea why. Any clues people?
Yep, you need consistent swell that warrants more than a twenty yard paddle after every wave.
Either that or try and muscle a longboard through a rip infested close-out happy break like most on the Vic East Coast. Paddling through that kind of punishment gets you paddle-fit pretty quickly!

Purple
Grommet

Post by Purple » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:16 am

re: Tribulus terrestris
SupplementWatch does not consider that there is any scientific evidence for effectiveness in muscle building. It suggests that it may be beneficial for those whose testosterone is below normal, such as dieters and overtrained athletes.
http://www.supplementwatch.com/suplib/s ... lateId=100

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:32 am

bro wrote:surf up to 10 times a week (surf permitting), run a bit (4 lengths of Manly beach), throw in a 100 press ups every now and then and swim a bit.

But I am still not paddle fit and I have no idea why. Any clues people?
poor bro! Try my patented 17-week Molokai-to-Oahu paddleboard race training schedule (see below). This will cause you to become a stronger paddler...if it doesn't kill you in the process.

WEEKLY SETS PHASE ONE TRAINING (AEROBIC)
Four sessions weekly accompanied by long muscle/short muscle stretching and Swiss ball core strengthening. Sessions to be done in full sunlight wherever possible. Goal: to build aerobic base and general feel for distance.

Wk One:
3x3s, board/swim/board to set buoy at 250m, plus core strength work between sets; even pace around 60% with short bursts at higher rate. (80 minutes)

single distance, 65% smooth to 80% short efforts, six kilometres (further if downwind) (45-50 minutes)

one kilometre breaks/65% with 1 min at 80%/warm-cool times 6 (45-50 minutes)

timed effort x10: 3-min sets off the beach/back to beach, plus core strength work in breaks (70 minutes)

Wk Two:
3x3 board/swim/board, plus core strength work between sets; even pace around 60% with short bursts to 85%. (80 minutes)

Stroke pace (65 stroke per min) sets x 12/I.F. overtakes-drafts (50 minutes)

Single distance 65% smooth to 80% short efforts, six kilometres (further if downwind) (45-50 minutes)

Skills (prone to knee to prone, style, runs/stroke count efforts to 100 strokes x 10 (70 minutes)

Done X 4 (eight weeks). Stand by in last two weeks of aerobic phase for opportunistic longer downwind runs as replacement sessions.

Finish with Quik race on Gold Coast in mid-late May (if applicable)

WEEKLY SETS PHASE TWO TRAINING (RACE PACE)
Three to four sessions per week, intensive effort geared toward race speeds; diet change (protein load increase); monitor health closely; continue core strengthening/balance and stretching; massage advised following boat support sets and single distance major efforts. Long sessions to be done in full sunlight where possible. Goal: to reach maximum preparedness for distance race pace in Molokai conditions.

Wk One:
Diamond course: 4 x 15 min 80% effort sets, 4 min rests (75 minutes)

Hard and hold: 10 x timed 500m efforts, counting stroke pace, 4 min rests (50 minutes)

Single distance significant effort, 8-10 kilometres downwind or part downwind (ie Long Reef to Newport, Bayview to inside Palmy in a southerly) (60 minutes)

Skills (prone to knee to prone etc)/I.F. overtakes to 90% effort

Wk Two:
One kilometre breaks, 75% with one-min 90% efforts/warm-cool times six (45-50 minutes)

Team distance with boat support, 4 x 30min sets/swaps (two hours) OR team off-beach sets 6 x 15min sets/swaps (90 minutes) (off-beach to be done during sunlight hours)

Skills (style, stroke count, knee to prone); 10 x 50-stroke efforts; 5 x 100-stroke efforts

Optional “play” training set with broader crew on weekend.

Wk Three:
Hard and hold: 5 x timed one kilometre efforts, counting stroke pace, 4 min rests (50-60 minutes)

Diamond course set 4 x 15 min, done in I/F, single leader swapped at each break, drafters to pressure (75 minutes)

Skills: board swaps, knees-to-prone, stroke stretch

Single distance major effort, 12-20+ kilometres, downwind (ie Manly to Newport or Long Reef to Palmy in a southerly) (90 minutes to three hours)

Done X 3 (nine weeks)

Finish with two week taper prior to leaving for Hawaii; continue core strength/stretch work; keep paddle sessions to “play” training sets or shorter single distance downwind tune-ups

Butts

Post by Butts » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:58 am

Johnno wrote:Walking from the paddock in the "BEER GARDEN" to the house for another beer and changing hands while drinking it .............. :wink: :lol:
Ahhh, now thats "TRUE" training :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:59 am

^ At what point in this do you injure yourself young Nicholas? Hate to think what you do for fun. :shock:

cs
regular

Post by cs » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:23 am

Hey bro, if Nick's paddle board torture is too much, try getting on a rowing machine instead.
Its worked really well in keeping up paddle fitness for me during flat spells.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:26 pm

ric_vidal wrote:^ At what point in this do you injure yourself young Nicholas? Hate to think what you do for fun. :shock:
Well it does say "monitor health closely" :lol:

I'm gonna do this year for charity so youse all get a chance to chip in for some cause or other -- at which point you can also make fun of me all youse like.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Re: Exercise besides surfing?

Post by oldman » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:28 pm

Carpark King wrote:Do youuussee reckon surfing is enough to keep you adequately fit and healty?
Much fitter than the average lard-arse, IIIIssssee reckons.

As long as you aren't the sort of person who drives to the shop 50 metres down the road, and avoids stairs and walking generally, 3 or 4 surfs a week would be enough to keep you reasonably, and adequately, fit.

The fitness schedules that others are mentioning here are really about a level way beyond average fitness. If you want to be superman you need to do a lot more than surf, but if your question is about general fitness then you are probably doing quite well.

If the surf is pumping for days on end, 3 or 4 good surfs will provide pretty high levels of aerobic and muscle tone fitness. Most days are not that taxing and you can probably surf without much effort.

But adequately fit? Shit yeah.

If you are fit enough to get out the back on a healthy swell and really enjoy yourself then you are way ahead of the general population.

My exercise regime involves lawn mowing, raking up the leaves, moving boxes and household appliances, picking up after the kids, washing up, vacuuming, some carpentry, occasional game of golf and surfing. I'd bet I'm fitter than most, but not the people posting here.

dammit__01
Owl status

Post by dammit__01 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:21 pm

bro wrote:But I am still not paddle fit and I have no idea why. Any clues people?
What helped me out was when surfing, no matter what the size, no matter how far the distance, paddle as hard as you can. If you just got a short ride, paddle 100% back to where you were. This worked like interval training, and really helps your paddling as its direct onto what you use for paddling.

So when ever you paddle, dont 50% it, gun it at 100%.