Just general surfing stuff

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:27 pm

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:32 pm

BA wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:22 pm
I guess he’s cash in the bank for the WSL. He’s probably the only surfer most people know.
Exactly, and an 11 times world champion ... of course he gets the wildcard.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:33 pm

BA wrote:
I guess he’s cash in the bank for the WSL. He’s probably the only surfer most people know.
Correct.

They will roll their most bankable asset out until they no longer can, no matter how ridiculous it makes them look, or how much they trash the integrity of the "sport".
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:38 pm

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:45 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:33 pm
BA wrote:
Correct.

They will roll their most bankable asset out until they no longer can, no matter how ridiculous it makes them look, or how much they trash the integrity of the "sport".
Haha integrity in sport ... you funny guy hey.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:51 pm

I wonder if viewer numbers still go up when Kelly surfs. Not much I reckon, particularly as the chances of Kelly being in the later heats are now not great. Kelly still has a name recognition value but I suspect his friendship with fellow Floridian Dirk Ziff might be a pretty strong factor in him getting the wildcard.

I assume the WSL is still running at a significant loss. It won’t ever run at a profit. The problem is not the integrity of the comp. The problem is that pro surfing is inherently boring to most people. It’s inherently boring to most surfers. The WSL is a bit of a charity project really and I reckon Dirk can spend his surfing dollar how he wants. It’s not like the fans are chipping in to help with costs.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:56 pm

Here’s a laser sharp insight into surf comps using Slater as an obvious example. If he does something amazing and surfs brilliantly people will be engaged. If he just duds out people will lose interest quickly.
If everyone keeps waiting out the heats with priority the comp will lose viewers.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Pants
Local

Post by Pants » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:36 pm

Makes a mockery of every rule they’ve set.
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:05 pm
Just got another bindie out of my heel when I had a shower.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:46 pm

If there was a strict set of rules determining the recipient, it would not be a wildcard.

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:58 pm

They need a Eddie the eagle type character that would get viewers in
Erase.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:00 am

I nominate Croissant.

Does he have the bus fare to get there?
Will he make it out the back?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:44 am

foamy wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:51 pm
I wonder if viewer numbers still go up when Kelly surfs. Not much I reckon, particularly as the chances of Kelly being in the later heats are now not great. Kelly still has a name recognition value but I suspect his friendship with fellow Floridian Dirk Ziff might be a pretty strong factor in him getting the wildcard.

I assume the WSL is still running at a significant loss. It won’t ever run at a profit. The problem is not the integrity of the comp. The problem is that pro surfing is inherently boring to most people. It’s inherently boring to most surfers. The WSL is a bit of a charity project really and I reckon Dirk can spend his surfing dollar how he wants. It’s not like the fans are chipping in to help with costs.
You've almost got it Foamy.

Pro surfing's chief function is to serve as a loss leader for the Tourism industry.

In that game, and for the suits who run it, Kelly Slater is the only bankable name and is crack cocaine for the decision makers who keep the lights on at the World Tour.

They want him there and the WSL will rewite whatever "rules' they need to to keep him there.

The big game now, is getting Kelly Into the Olympics.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:08 am

steve shearer wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:44 am

Pro surfing's chief function is to serve as a loss leader for the Tourism industry.

In that game, and for the suits who run it, Kelly Slater is the only bankable name and is crack cocaine for the decision makers who keep the lights on at the World Tour.

They want him there and the WSL will rewite whatever "rules' they need to to keep him there.

The big game now, is getting Kelly Into the Olympics.
I'm not so sure about a lot of that, Steve.

There's a lot of bankable names in the industry, with the new crop of Australian surfers on the mens side, along with the top 3-4 Brazilians having enormous followings. Yeah, Kelly is the biggest name in professional surfing, but he's not the Kelly of old. I can't see the issue with giving Slater the wild card for 23-24. The WSL did the same for Sally last year ... and speaking of the women, they've got a massive following (Hi Tyler) and are extremely bankable.

As for the big game being to get old baldy to the Olympics ... I doubt that the WSL could give a fuck about that. Kelly wants Kelly to go, and maybe some of his bigger followers, but the vast majority of surf fans probably don't care all that much.

It'll be interesting to see how Kelly goes at the pool and at Chopes ... his abilities have been talked up at those venues, especially Tahiti.

Anyway, I'm liking the new Kelly, he seems happier than he's ever been. Maybe knowing that he's probably not a title contender any more has softened him somewhat.

I'll be Yeeewing for Ewing !

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:39 am

I guess my views on this have been shaped by actually researching the funding streams for Pro Surfing and being told directly by Tourism agencies how vital Kelly Slater is to the metrics which determine that funding.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:07 am

steve shearer wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:39 am
I guess my views on this have been shaped by actually researching the funding streams for Pro Surfing and being told directly by Tourism agencies how vital Kelly Slater is to the metrics which determine that funding.
Which tourism agencies have you been in contact with ?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:44 am

QLD and WA.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:15 am

steve shearer wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:44 am
QLD and WA.
What about other locations on the tour, surely you'd need to look into Kelly's influence on those too.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:27 am

Look at the marketing and who are the major partners for the events.

It's mostly Tourism funding.

This is all very well documented by now.