FFW - Wingnut's Backyard Boards

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Re: FFW - Wingnut's Backyard Boards

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:06 pm

Looking good, W-nut.

My advice, first and subsequent glass jobs, use UV for laminates, then move onto MEKP-based for filler coats. Will allow you more time and quite possibly a stronger job.

If you want better still use a good epoxy, but you might not enjoy the sanding.

Measure twice, cut once. :wink:

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:32 pm

Matticus, I had to ring dave (?) byrne and organise a time to grab the stuff. I don't think he was intending to sell to guys like us, but he was cool with it. I don't have his number anymore but if you ring byrne and ask about them they should sort you out. I still haven't glassed mine :(.

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:08 pm

was at byrne a couple of days ago. he is out of RR and very low on blanks untill the next shipment comes in in around a month.

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:15 pm

and wingnut, I wanna know how you are doing a board including a machine cut for $180.

My breakdown for a short board thruster is:
Blank: $85
Cloth: $36
Resin: $50 (epoxy so thats a little more expensive)
Fin Boxes/Plugs: $20
Leash Cup: $1
Sanding Disks and sheets: $4
Tape: $2
Gloves: $2
Brushes: $5

So thats at $205 with no cut. I could save a few bucks buying cloth by the roll, using cheap plugs, and polyester resin, but I stil reckon it would be around $180 without the machine cut.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:59 am

Matticus Finch wrote:I finally timed it right at Byrne and saw Phill. Yep happy to sell me a blank or two etc, but same as Pirate Agenda said, low on blanks. So I think I'm going to head to Brookvale and just do poly with UV resin. A bit of a bastard having to drive that far though, does anyone know if Surfblanks is open on weekends?

Pirate A, I read somewhere that a machine cut was only $30. I thought it would be more than that.
No, Surfblanks not open weekends.

Dion have EPS blanks (2 sizes), also not open weekends that I am aware.

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:11 pm

matticus, king surfboards at kirrawee do good PU blanks and are open most saturday mornings. ring before you travel up though.

Wingnut, so you're trying to set up for low cost, but buying 10 boards worth of gear?? might be best just to spend a little more and buy by the metre to start with if you're trying to cut costs. it might cost more in the long run, but on the other hand if you lose interest, 80 metres of glass and 15L of resin isn't going to be much good to you.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:52 pm

guys, got a idea for side lights, i bought two sets of poles from tip shop, a solid bit of wood to drill them into, then bought two 4 foot lights and one 8 foot bit of wood and attached the lights to it. The next step was to buy some u clamps so I could slide the lights to the right height for the shadow, then got a thin bit of wood as a shade thingabob to stick above the lights to throw the shadow, only had room for one set of lights :oops: but it was better than nothing and just turned the board to get same shadow, found this really helped.

I also got a 4 foot double lights for a down light and this worked a treat also.

Best of luck lads, please take pics of your temp shaping bay, love to see the stoke. Im now thinking of how to make folding stands so I can take them when I travel, havent worked this one out yet.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:39 am

matticus, was just thinking, i'm going to order a slab of 1.7lb eps soon. can hotwire you off a blank if you like. Should work out around 50-60 per blank. Thats if you want to go down the eps path still.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:47 pm

ahh wingnut, without the fup fairy visiting you during the process you would not learn enough I reckon :lol: My shaping bay was also outside like yours and I had to deal with the weather factor. I reckon the reason you felt that the uv resin was going off was that you did not mix it well enough. I found this once and on advice from my mentor I mixed it 10 to 15 minutes, but before I mixed it I also warmed the resin up outside as well, it made it beatiful to work and easy, so think on how you mixed it and wait for someone more experienced than myself to explain why. There is another method I have seen on youtube where a glasser folded the laps to the top of the deck and just wet them out there, I tried it and it worked a treat, so easy to do and no dry spots.

Next learning experience is off course pick your day to glass, check weather maps for wind and stuff like that, unless of course you want to build the fup fairy her own bedroom right next to your bay, as she will stay there forever :D, plus always remember there is no rush because we are backyarders and we can relax and drink beer if the weather aint right :D

Ive been with my mate all day trying to work out how to attach a shaping bay to the bus and we have almost nailed it. We will store the shaping bay under the bus and we have been trying to work out also folding stands and we are getting closer to the end product.

I used seperate stands and glassing stands, its easy to just roll out the glassing stands and roll out the shaping stands when needed.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:07 am

Yeah Matticus.

Hope things improve for you and your Dad.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:05 pm

photos mate, wanna see photos

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:43 pm

open 'windows picture manager'-click 'edit pictures'-click 'compress picture'-choose 'web pages'. Done. Your welcome. By the way, you guys are really doing it tough with this shaping/glassing lark, but how much fun are you having!
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:51 pm

spork wrote:open 'windows picture manager'-click 'edit pictures'-click 'compress picture'-choose 'web pages'. Done. Your welcome. By the way, you guys are really doing it tough with this shaping/glassing lark, but how much fun are you having!
:lol: :lol:
Yep. It has to be infinitely easier to post a couple of pics on here than shaping/ glassing a surfboard.
And take a heck of a lot less time.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:16 am

wingnut2443 wrote:
diggerdickson wrote:photos mate, wanna see photos
I hear ya digger ... :idea:

I'm over having to 'edit' every photo so this site will accept it :evil:

Gotta be a better way :?:

wingnut, its why my bus build aint on here :(

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:46 pm

I've sometimes wanted to post pics straight from the web. Way too many times I've got the message

"Unable to determine the size of the image"

Just once I posted a paint image (my own) successfully. Stuffed if I know how I did it as it seems pics already have to be in the public domain. It's painful and I've pretty much given up

Even spork's instruction doesn't extend to actually getting the pic posted

Trev, how about a step by step guide that always stays at the top of Tangents? We're missing out on some good stuff
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:43 pm

swvic wrote:I've sometimes wanted to post pics straight from the web. Way too many times I've got the message

Just once I posted a paint image (my own) successfully. Stuffed if I know how I did it as it seems pics already have to be in the public domain. It's painful and I've pretty much given up

Trev, how about a step by step guide that always stays at the top of Tangents? We're missing out on some good stuff
Yeah OK, sw, I'll put something together but give me a few days. The house is full of my son's family from Canada and it's a bit hectic here.
There are directions somewhere in the archives but I'll start from scratch rather than go looking for them.
I've also asked Don to talk to sone of our resident photographers about improving the overall situation, but I don't think he's (Don) done anything about it yet.
Beanpole

Skipper

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:50 pm

Trev wrote:
swvic wrote:I've sometimes wanted to post pics straight from the web. Way too many times I've got the message

Yeah OK, sw, I'll put something together but give me a few days. The house is full of my son's family from Canada and it's a bit hectic here.
There are directions somewhere in the archives but I'll start from scratch rather than go looking for them.
I've also asked Don to talk to sone of our resident photographers about improving the overall situation, but I don't think he's (Don) done anything about it yet.
Trev, I know you do your best mate, but as a internet dummy here its just so easy on sways and wish it could be that way on realsurf, I just want to be able to take it straight off my computer without the mucking about and past it here without resizing or crap like that, just two clicks and done, but thats just me mate :oops:

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:50 pm

wingnut2443 wrote:
diggerdickson wrote: ... I just want to be able to take it straight off my computer without the mucking about and past it here without resizing or crap like that, just two clicks and done, but that's just me mate :oops:
That's it in a nutshell ...

Trev, yes, maybe easier than trying to glass and sand a board, but, after doing that, coming on here to share (I like to give back, having found info on here to help me) it needs to be easy ... the 'compress' edit with "picture manager" is how I've been doing it, but, it's just too much mucking around ... :cry:

I've got a heap of pic's to share, but having to edit each one is a pain, and time consuming process ...

Like digger said, over on swaylocks, it's just a process of uploading the image, no edit required ...

Trev, not sure of the reason why it is set so low, but the file upload size limit is the issue, and simple solution is to increase that, which should be a 'set up' "parameter" or "function" within the phpbb software ... I found this https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=1626605 doing a quick search ...

Seems this file size limit has been an issue for a while on here ... I wonder how many other users have decided to just move on and not provide the feedback like we (me and digger) have?
Nah mate, plenty of feedback. It's been an issue for a while (since the ads down the right hand side).
But the real issue is space that the site pays for. I don't know how Swaylocks does it but there is a major increase in cost to the site's owner when you have lots of photos downloaded directly. As Don still makes up the shortfall out of his own pocket, it ain't gonna change any time soon.
There has been plenty of discussion before but it has always hinged around the loss of a third of the page, thereby reducing the impact of a good pic.
There's not been anyone else as far as I can remember who had issues with uploading via a third party site like photobucket.
And as far as I can discover, the use of a third party hosting site is the more normal practice on web forums. (not that my experience in this area is wide but I did go digging a while back and apart from Swaylocks, everyone I looked at did it this way.
I have suggested to Don how he can make allowance for large pics to be displayed on here without upsetting the current page layout but he is dependent on a friend to do some coding.
Beanpole

Skipper