Another macking E swell

What surfer doesn't care about the weather? Who hasn't predicted the arrival of a new swell? Do all of it here!

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

barstardos
charger

Another macking E swell

Post by barstardos » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:19 am

Todays run of the models are in broad agreement, looks like we are going to get somthing out of the east from next weekend (5/6 Aug) on.
A trough coming down from the Coral sea looks like it will cradle up against a large high creating a tasman-wide fetch aimed squarely at the NSW coast. Probabaly strong onshores to go with it initially. The most exciting development looks aroun early next week when the trough deepens in to a low off NE of N Island NZ while a High brings light winds to the whole E coast. Its going to start off big and ugly on Sat/ Sun and just get better and better (and possibly bigger too) in to next week.

What a winter - what a year - it just dont stop!!

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:35 pm

F**K -- I've gotta go to California on Saturday for a week.

gonna get a lot of v good sth swell there ... but it's not the same as a crazy bombing 10' e groundswell now is it. No.

One Mile Point
Snowy McAllister

Post by One Mile Point » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:04 pm

Had my pupil free day today and im greeted by 0.5ft reef and 1ft high tide boxy. Next weekend i cant go :(

andycumo
Local
Location: anywhere thats shallow and hollow and uncrowded. ie; not sydney

Post by andycumo » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:39 pm

lucky i am on exams at the moment. weekdays free to surf. looks like the winds will be fairly dicey for the first few days but eventually we should get some solid waves with nice winds. awesome.

chris_010
Local

Post by chris_010 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:46 pm

Man. Nothing like an east swell with the tides coming into alignment for a reef in the middle of sydney to be empty and all to yourself :D.

cant fn wait.

fong

nth coast fakecast

Post by fong » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:06 am

ok....spent last hour rollin weather dice....and yes....friday onwards look the goods BUT theres something sniffin around on wenesday and thursday with winds that should b good :idea:

rest up guys/girls.....serevice the jet ski mobile :wink:

it's ( hopefully) on again :!:

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:04 am

This is starting to look serious. Its now looking like this system will be one of the biggest of the year - but its going to get really ugly on the North Coast. In fact its looking damaging for the mid north coast to the Qld Border. You know - gale force winds, flooding rains and massive unrelenting east swell leading to major coastal erosion.
As far as surfing goes, your are proabaly better off further North or South (ie Sunny Coast or NSW South Coast) where the winds will be agreeable and the swell ridable

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:02 pm

The closer it gets the more it looks like this is going to be a major swell event. The charts aren't toning it down so we may well see the sort of size the long range v buoys are currently predicting.

Winds dont look crash hot, but with a straight east swell it could be a good time to seek out those, once-a-year novelty breaks. Interesting to see what Ben & Alex say.

thermalben
charger

Post by thermalben » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:14 pm

Yes, yes and yes! It's the length of the projected fetch from Sun thru' Mon that is impressing me the most at the moment. Just a bummer winds won't be good - but I can think of a ton of spots that won't be complaining at all. N/NSW and SE QLD are likely to pick up the most size.

Now, to re-arrange that diary (couldn't come at a busier time for me!).

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:20 pm

I can think of some really fun novelty breaks that love a big E swell and SE wind. Think long peeling sand bottom rights that are better known as a navigational hazard than a wave!

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:28 pm

[quote="Nick Carroll"]F**K -- I've gotta go to California on Saturday for a week.

gonna get a lot of v good sth swell there ... but it's not the same as a crazy bombing 10' e groundswell now is it. No.[/quote]

We are doing a trade Nick. The last big swell that you got in Sydney, I was stuck in Calafornia with small junky waves (got one good day at Blacks though). So while I feel for you all I can say is bring on that friggin swell. Ill take your spot out at the reef. :lol:

Da Duke
regular

Post by Da Duke » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:06 pm

Did a container load of disco bickies go down in the Great Southern Ocean around April or what! Ol' Huey has been a mightly generous bastard...aaagh, I mean Omnipotent Surf Lord, this year!

Time to go thru the little black book of excuses to see what I'll be inflicted with next Wednesday.

Scurvy - done it;
Dysentry - too fresh;
Pneumonia - too cliche';
Denghy - too severe;
Ross River - possibilty!;
Dead Relo - perfect - two birds with the one stone! ... give me a lid vid for Xmas will you Aunty ****!! well now its redemption time!!

thermalben
charger

Post by thermalben » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:19 pm

barstardos wrote:Think long peeling sand bottom rights that are better known as a navigational hazard than a wave!
Ahh.. the Superbank! Got it.

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:36 pm

looking like biggest thing since Wati, maybe bigger
The whole East coast is going to be thumped for days. Tue next week could be all-time.
Yes everybody listen to Ben, he know these things - go to the Superbank!

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:02 pm

C'mon Ben, crack the f*ckin whip. It's 4:02 and Alex hasn't put todays forecast up yet!!

I need details....

chris_010
Local

Post by chris_010 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:08 pm

haha look at the froth

thermalben
charger

Post by thermalben » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:11 pm

Alex has the flu today and is therefore running a little behind schedule (we don't have a bevvy of backup forecasters to pick and choose from in these circumstances). His NSW forecast will be up shortly, but Qld has been updated if you're interested, as it discusses the same system.

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:21 pm

Ben,

You've got a bevvy of back-up forecasters right here on this forum! Come on down Barstardos, NC and the many others that throw their hat in from time to time. That their forecasts are sometimes based on 3rd hand info, superstition or tea-leaf reading shouldn't matter should it?

Was only joking anyway. Always appreciate the work you fellas do.