Another East Coast Low from Mon 28 Nov

What surfer doesn't care about the weather? Who hasn't predicted the arrival of a new swell? Do all of it here!

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

barstardos
charger

Another East Coast Low from Mon 28 Nov

Post by barstardos » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:51 pm

The great run of troughs crossing the country and dumping rain is continuing. The upside for surfers is that many spin up in to east Coast Lows when they hit the Tasman Sea.
It looks like some time early next week its going to happen again. The trajectory and orientation of the ECL cant really be picked yet, but expect that by next Tue the East Coast will be copping another wet, wild and woolly blow from the SE along with a macking lump of swell.
Initial indication place the low off the far south coast, a much more favorable location for Sydney than last weeks.

Bear
barnacle

Post by Bear » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:21 pm

I LOVE SWELL.. SWELLY SWELLY SWELL!!!

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:47 am

Todays run of the models is a bit less certain for this system. GFS still likes it, but the ECMWF has gone cold on it. The EC shows a ridge over bass strait that would not produce any swell for Sydney.
However its the leadup that interests me - I am going to Tassie where I am going to score some pretty good waves this weekend. NE swell meets W winds = woohoo!

mad
charger

Post by mad » Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:30 pm

Look at FNMOC and others for next week
http://facs.scripps.edu/surf/images/ausanim.gif
I am going to Tassie where I am going to score some pretty good waves this weekend. NE swell meets W winds = woohoo!
Bastardos, pack your gun :shock: (and a camera!), Can you wrangle a few days into next week as well? Bung an extra head on like Zaphod Beeblebrox.

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:48 pm

Have already worked it so I can make full advantage of both swells. Saturday looks the best but there are so many coves and islands on the Tas east coast I am sure I can find somewhere out of the wind when that low cooks up early next week.

thermalben
charger

Post by thermalben » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:51 pm

Looking pretty wet for your trip bastardos (aside from Sat AM which, as you said, is potentially looking very nice for the NE Coast). I'd personally be thinking about some refuge in Bass Strait Tues/Wed - there are a lot of interesting spots along the North Coast that require rare E'ly groundswells, and this system is suggesting something promising in that region at the moment. Could luck into something very special.

Therefore, I must re-affirm Mad's point above - take some pics!

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:00 am

Just got back from Tassie to enjoy a fantastic early at queensie.
Scored some amazing 4'6' NE surf on the Tas East Coast last Saturday however the east swell did not deliver anything special Tue/Wed on the protected east coast pointbreaks as i was hoping. The wind did not cooperate with the North coast so unfortunately did not score the something special that ben mentioned. I will post pics later

One Mile Point
Snowy McAllister

Post by One Mile Point » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:03 pm

you still had fun :!:

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:57 pm

barstardos wrote:Just got back from Tassie to enjoy a fantastic early at queensie.
Scored some amazing 4'6' NE surf on the Tas East Coast last Saturday however the east swell did not deliver anything special Tue/Wed on the protected east coast pointbreaks as i was hoping. The wind did not cooperate with the North coast so unfortunately did not score the something special that ben mentioned. I will post pics later
yeah this morning was unexpectadly good up the beach a bit at dy. neat lines, very light winds, sunshine, what more could you want (other than a few extra feet :P )
interestingly, i had a look at curly and it was garbage. sometimes i don't understand why curly does that, just fat lumpy peaks all over the place....

and yeah, looking forward to your pics :D

marty
barnacle

Post by marty » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:13 pm

just got out from a largo. still wrapped in the towel an everything.

was pretty fun. bit full thou...morning should be okay..

mad
charger

Post by mad » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:42 am

Looking forward to the pics. Were you up the Bicheno end or Port Arthur end of the coast?

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:45 am

I finally have sorted out the technology to post the tassie pics.
These shots are ledging reef that was throwing out short and chunky barrels - i was only one out - about 6'
spooky - but rewarding!

thermalben
charger

Post by thermalben » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:58 am

Awesome stuff Bastardos. I reckon that part of the country is one of Australia's more interesting frontiers for uncrowded waves - look forward to sniffing around there myself in the future.

One Mile Point
Snowy McAllister

Post by One Mile Point » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:51 pm

barstardos wrote:I finally have sorted out the technology to post the tassie pics.
These shots are ledging reef that was throwing out short and chunky barrels - i was only one out - about 6'
spooky - but rewarding!

that would have been so much fun

mad
charger

Post by mad » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:21 pm

Very noice, imagine how crowded that'd be on the mainland.

Couldn't possibly do a demtel after whetting our appetites bastardos, "but wait there's more"?

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:55 pm

whats the water temp?

and is that good for a left or a right?

and was anyone with you incase you got knocked out or something?