Huey is a Legend

What surfer doesn't care about the weather? Who hasn't predicted the arrival of a new swell? Do all of it here!

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Re: Huey is a Legend

Post by Donweather » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:04 pm

Shhhhh, just between you and me, GFS now also starting to come on board.....Mmmmmm!!!! Perhaps Spring has not yet sprung!!! :P

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:11 am

I'm really starting to like the looks of the long range charts now!!! :P :lol:

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:48 am

Well the models have downgraded tomorrow's/Friday's swell :(

The weekend's swell is looking better now...

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:19 am

SAsurfa wrote:Well the models have downgraded tomorrow's/Friday's swell :(

The weekend's swell is looking better now...
Role reversal time SAS. You talk it down now while I talk it up.

I was going to post that the forecasts seem to be showing this system heading south further before east, which should downgrade the first spike in swell, but the following systems are now looking pretty serious, with a few lining up much better than before and for longer periods. Early to mid next week is lining up with a huge fetch and substantial energy 'in an already agitated sea'.

And donw's northern event seems much more likely now, in fact seriously interesting for the qld folk. It's not in the bag yet, but how often do you get what looks like a tropical low developing off the qld coast in August. Is it just my lack of knowledge, or is this really out of season. Looks like an autumn system.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:40 am

SAsurfa wrote:Let us know how you'll go.
Just got out from my fav SC beachie. Absolute corker of a winters morning. Clean 2ft with the odd 2ft+/3ft set. A bit inconsistent but when the sets rolled through they had some power for their size that's for sure. Me and a mate had a wedgey bank all to ourselves. Fecking shame I'm at work now though!!

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:37 pm

Good to hear Don,

This south swell has come up solidly across Sydney and further north today! Looking for a slightly bigger pulse tomorrow morning! I'm heading south :D

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:17 pm

Donweather wrote:
SAsurfa wrote:Let us know how you'll go.
Just got out from my fav SC beachie. Absolute corker of a winters morning. Clean 2ft with the odd 2ft+/3ft set. A bit inconsistent but when the sets rolled through they had some power for their size that's for sure. Me and a mate had a wedgey bank all to ourselves. Fecking shame I'm at work now though!!
You called it perfectly Don, as per your pm.
Super long period swell wrapping around the island point and delivering long, long, long lines to my local. Apparently started late yesterday afternoon. Must have been some fabulous unridden stuff overnight. Still happening now but filling in with the tide.
At 7am there were 15 in the water but 6 school teachers and 3 school students had to get out to go to school. 8)
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:53 pm

So many possibilities last week, but looks like only the Thursday to Saturday swell delivered.

Prognostics seem to have blown further south swell to dust for the moment, and the jury is out as to whether the lowforms off qld/ north of NZ to produce something for the punters.

Still seems far off on the distance donw. Is this one of those systems that keeps retreating into the distance as the days go by? :twisted:
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:21 pm

^^ Yeah the run from Thursday arvo until Sunday morning was pretty good, today's swell has failed to register much unfortunately but we have one last pulse for tomorrow Oldman, looks like the best option for a surf in the short to medium term so try and fit in an early if you can :wink:

Did you get good waves over the weekend Oldman BTW?

I headed south and it looked as if I was too south to see the bulk of the swell but got some epic waves on a well known beachie with only me, my two mates and one other on this unbelievable bank, so stoked :mrgreen:

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:37 pm

Got out Thursday and Friday, too busy Saturday, and still decided on a midday paddle around on Sunday, 'cause the weather was too nice not to go in. Could have used a quiet little beach somewhere.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:41 pm

oldman wrote:and the jury is out as to whether the lowforms off qld/ north of NZ to produce something for the punters.

Still seems far off on the distance donw. Is this one of those systems that keeps retreating into the distance as the days go by? :twisted:
I'm losing faith by the minute old man. Models are downgrading this system in each run with the bulk of the fetch looking at being aimed at locations south of us (perhaps down your way oldman?).

I'm not getting any real high hopes up for this one, so who knows I could be pleasently surprised?

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:36 pm

Donweather wrote:Models are downgrading this system in each run with the bulk of the fetch looking at being aimed at locations south of us (perhaps down your way oldman?).
It is isn't it, but it's a long way for a swell to travel if it isn't that big at the start.

A lot of changes in the latest runs, making a substantial difference to prospects.

Not getting my hopes up either but there are possibilities. Keep us posted on what you are seeing.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:22 am

The fetch on the backside of the low is looking pretty damn good at the moment (courtesy of a semi-stationary high east of NZ) later this week, even for us folk up here. Early-mid next week looks on for sure......just need the local winds to behave now too and she could be damn fine indeed!!!

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:56 am

Could somebody move NZ for us?

Another 2000 km east should just about do it. May as well move it a bit north to while you're at it.

Some fine swell won't be hitting the east coast because of that stationary obstacle otherwise known as New Zealand. :twisted:

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:01 pm

oldman wrote:Could somebody move NZ for us?

Another 2000 km east should just about do it. May as well move it a bit north to while you're at it.

Some fine swell won't be hitting the east coast because of that stationary obstacle otherwise known as New Zealand. :twisted:
Roy 'll be pissed :lol:
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:58 pm

oldman wrote:May as well move it a bit north to while you're at it.
Piss-off!!! I vote we drag it southwards....to the arse end of the earth, better known as Antarctica......where NZ belongs!!

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:19 pm

hey how much better is this swell than forecast. fcuken thing's bombing Sydney today.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:25 pm

Seems pretty much what was being predicted on these pages, Nick.

What were other people predicting? :mrgreen: