ECL?

What surfer doesn't care about the weather? Who hasn't predicted the arrival of a new swell? Do all of it here!

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Re: ECL?

Post by daryl » Fri May 22, 2009 11:53 am

steve shearer wrote: Winds light W here now....
:)

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Fri May 22, 2009 12:32 pm

Donweather wrote:Mmmmmm, I'm liking the look of mid next week, particularly if the GFS model pans out early next week as forecast....and so far it's been on the money so let's hope it's predictions continue to come to fruition!!!!
Are you talking about this system heading east and providing some ongoing waves for your part of the world?

'cause it also looks like a nice little low pressure sytem angling nicely for a south burst later next week. Any comment on that one DonW (7 days out)
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Fri May 22, 2009 1:25 pm

I'm talking about our E/SE swell window opening up courtesy of some low pressure developments out near the north island of NZ early next week, hence pushing in some fun (nothing huge) E/SE groundswell, probably slightly more so for us SE Qlders than you southern folk.

I very rarely get excited by S'ly groundswells in SE Qld, hence I don't even really look out for them on the charts. For me, if it doesn't have some component of easterly in it, then I don't get interested in them.

Although in saying that I'm still rather excited about the long range charts showing a damn good SW fetch setting up camp south of NZ in about 9-10days time. The fetch looks to extend from the SE coast of NZ right down close to the antarctic shelf for several days, thus pushing up some VERY solid SW groundswell straight towards Chopes me thinks!!!

Freshie Boy
regular

Post by Freshie Boy » Fri May 22, 2009 1:57 pm

I'm in Coffs harbour at the moment and we've been getting absolutely battered the last few days.

Waves are breaking over all sections of the North and South harbour breakwall, its pretty out of control. Went to Arrawarra for a look but the swell is way too east for anything to happen there, its just soup.

Currently working at the National Marine Science Centre, we were supposed to head out to South and Split Solitary Islands to do some rocky reef surveys over the last couple of days, glad we didnt :!:

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri May 22, 2009 2:21 pm

well Sydney is being struck by 10-15' of ENE groundswell right now, under a lot of windswell and sea state crap. 35knot easterly winds making it unsurfable.

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Fri May 22, 2009 3:08 pm

Donweather wrote:I'm talking about our E/SE swell window opening up courtesy of some low pressure developments out near the north island of NZ early next week, hence pushing in some fun (nothing huge) E/SE groundswell, probably slightly more so for us SE Qlders than you southern folk.
Yeah i've been watching that fetch. GFS had predicted it earlier in the week but I ignored it as EC wasn't really coming to play. But now both have the low developing above NZ's NI and it should produce a good little burst of ESE groundswell for mid next week. We'll see how the models develop it over the weekend.

You been getting anywaves up a little further north Don?

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Fri May 22, 2009 7:35 pm

SAsurfa wrote:Yeah i've been watching that fetch. GFS had predicted it earlier in the week but I ignored it as EC wasn't really coming to play. But now both have the low developing above NZ's NI and it should produce a good little burst of ESE groundswell for mid next week.
No disrespect to EC, but generally it's struggled of late when compared to GFS, and in fact it seems to lag GSF by a couple of days with respect to what it's forecasting for say 5-7 days out. For instance, GFS is now downplaying a touch the system out near NZ early next week, whilst EC is ramping it up from it's previous forecasts to be something similar to what GFS was outputting yesterday?.
SAsurfa wrote:You been getting anywaves up a little further north Don?
I was going to hit up my fav SC beachie on Thursday, but with the Bruce Highway cut southbound on Wed I figured the drive back to work on Thurs would be a joke.

And I wont be getting any over the weekend as my wife kindly jumped on a 6am flight to Melb this morning for a girls weekend so I'm Mr Mum until Monday night now....hence my eagerness to get wet mid next week. A mate of mine hit up a particular SC point break this morning and reckons it was damn hot. And looking at Karll Angells pics of yesterday....bugger me that point break did look good.

What about yourself Craig?

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Sat May 23, 2009 12:22 am

steve shearer wrote:That was the most radical weather I've ever experienced on the Northern Rivers.
Winds increased to storm force late arvo into the night and then backed off for a bit.
Bout 11.30 we were smote by a severe storm cell with thunder/lightning and winds from the north.
Just screaming ,cyclonic gusts, shitt smashing,debris flying, trees coming down everywhere.
Ballina AWS recorded gusts in the high 50's but their over the hill and down in a gully...I'd estimate gusts to be over 70 knots.
Big old man banksia tree came crashing down and missed my henhouse by a foot, all fruit trees damaged and veggie garden ripped to shitt :(
Ocean sounds incredibly loud with a dull persistent roar...not sure if that data from the Byron Buoy can be trusted.
Winds light W here now....can't wait for first light to survey the scene.
just got back from lennox
was fkin huge outa control there like breaking ks out 15 foot ++ closeouts
was thinking about paddling out, did a poo on the rocks then thought, nah if i lose my board im fcked.
ballina just crazy messy.
angourie and yamba a brown mess, breaking a k or two out from the river mouth all the way in mess.
just got through flood waters at a few places on the highway before they closed the road.
eerily empty pacific highway, went for ages without a sole passing in the other direction.
get to newy and the rain catches up.
off tomorrow to get nulla. whoot
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat May 23, 2009 8:28 am

Grafton was evacuated and Ulmara too, apparently Yamba is ok for now but we dont want any more rain...Winds are crazy, so strong in some gusts...Heard the highway is cut off at Wardell and Deadmans Creek north of Ballina, wild weather and I think we have had enough now...although the next weeks forecast is for rain and showers...the missus is up the Sunny Coast delivering boards and picking stuff up for me on her way home but not sure she will be getting back thru for a few days....

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Sun May 24, 2009 1:48 pm

Ta iggs.

--++sunstroke++--
Owl status

Post by --++sunstroke++-- » Sun May 24, 2009 2:04 pm

dinosaur wrote:on the piss then on the rocks.

Shaken & stirred :lol:
What's the difference between Elizabeth Warren & Kamala Harris?

One's pretending to be an Indian & the others pretending she isn't!

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Sun May 24, 2009 2:37 pm

Don, I had a place in mind that I headed to back in the large east swell that hit at the start of April. Car has other ideas and overheated only about 10 minutes down the road :(

So no surf for me, just heading out now to find somewhere to give a crack :)

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Sun May 24, 2009 2:42 pm

SAsurfa wrote:Car has other ideas and overheated only about 10 minutes down the road :(
Sounds like you and Ben buy your cars from the same dealer!!! :lol: