Global Warming

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Global Warming

Post by daryl » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:33 am

Damage wrote:As stated by Dr. Nathan Lewis, Professor of Chemistry, California Institute of Technology:

“You see the Earth has a 35 year thermal inertia and so what we’re doing now is only the beginning because we’re waiting 35 years even to see the effects of what we did 35 years ago. So it would be another 30 years until we started to really see, even at the only 380 parts per million level [of C02-e atmospheric concentration] that we’re doing now, what those effects are. And we’ll be at 550 [parts per million of C02-e concentration] by then — or more — and it’s never been above 300. So there’s a serious debate over whether that will be very bad or not, very bad, but all we know is no matter what we do when we get there there’s no turning back.”

:|
it's sadly easy to compare Earth to a turning *cough cough* oil tanker

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:14 pm

2010 The equal warmest on record

Don't worry, there's probably nothing to it. :?

boogaloo
Local

Post by boogaloo » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:19 pm

Climate Forcing From Cosmic Rays Much Higher Than IPCC Estimate
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
In a paper that has been accepted for publication in the Indian science journal Current Science, physicist Dr U R Rao argues that decreasing cosmic ray activity accounts for almost 40 % of global warming. This is much higher than the cosmic ray contribution in the IPCC model.

Below is an extract from the January 21 article on Rao's paper in The Hindu:

"According to the latest report by the IPCC, all human activity, including carbon dioxide emissions, contribute 1.6 watts/sq.m to global warming, while other factors such as solar irradiance contribute just 0.12 watts/sq.m.

However, Dr Rao's paper calculates that the effect of cosmic rays contributes 1.1 watts/sq.m, taking the total contribution of non-human activity factors to 1.22 watts/sq.m.

This means that increased carbon dioxide emissions in the atmosphere are not as significant as the IPCC claims. Of the total observed global warming of 0.75 degrees Celsius, only 0.42 degrees would be caused by increased carbon dioxide. The rest would be caused by the long term decrease in primary cosmic ray intensity and its effect on low level cloud cover.

This means that predicting future global warming and sea level rise is not as simple as the IPCC makes it to be, since it depends not only on human activity, but also significantly on the unpredictability of cosmic ray intensity.

“We conclude that the contribution to climate change due to the change in galactic cosmic ray intensity is quite significant and needs to be factored into the prediction of global warming and its effect on sea level raise and weather prediction,” says the paper."

The full article is here: http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp ... 107174.ece

If you want to see some snazzy graphs related to Rao's report, look here: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/01/21 ... e_forcing/

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:00 pm

So what happens when Betelgeuse goes super-nova? Are we doomed?

:D

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:45 pm

(One of my favourite topics!)

re the Rao discussion paper
Here it is.

http://moef.nic.in/downloads/public-inf ... CA-1-2.pdf

I commend the response at the end by V. Ramanathan of Scripps Institute. I thought this was interesting for instance:
Trends in GCRs and Global Mean
Temperatures: Observations of global average
temperatures during the twentieth century, reveal 3 basic
periods: A) Warming trend from 1900 to 1940; B) followed
by a slight cooling trend from 1940 to 1970; C) which
terminated in the current rapid warming trend which is
continuing unabated until now. Keeping this pattern in
mind, if we examine Figure 1 of Rao
we note that GCRs
(top two panels) underwent a monotonic decrease in
intensity from 1900 to about 1970 and then leveled off
from 1970 onwards (revealed more clearly in the middle
panel). Clearly, the variations in GCRs can not account for
the large warming trend from 1970 to 2010.[my emphasis]
And note: even if Rao's hypothesis proved to be correct, it merely underlines the urgency of stopping the addition of more radiative forcing to the system via the injection of billions of tonnes of CO2, methane, etc. There's no get out of jail free card.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:33 pm

It's interesting that cosmic ray proton ionization causes cloud condensation. My old boss used to say as we discussed shit over our liquid lunch before he went back to give afternoon lectures, that when there's a buildup of escaped radon, which is normally inert, that some ions must be negatively charged and that there's a sudden atmospheric inversion causing abrupt wet weather :shock:

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:28 pm

Shaunm wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:24 pm
I'm posting here from reading front page poll and the amazing amount of responses claiming climate change is man made LMFAO does it not occur as part of natural weather patterns?

Boogs that's true, recent survey are showing a lot more polar ice and (health) state of the Barrier Reef is far better than has been promoted. Media were badgered into not reporting the polar assessment until a response from certain groups could be formulated.

I also saw a docu about how roaring 20's and polar summers have been causing ozone depletion round here for eons, not since 1950's. Our impact, whilst is something that can be controlled & reduced and doesn't help the situation, it is minimal in comparison.

To me the last 2 or 3 summers are a fair bit cooler than the previous 4, and for me no summer has reached the temperature heights and length that '78 offered us, not even close.
So my theory is we are now suffering form global cooling in Sydney ;-)

I believe it is our responsibility not to trash where we live and would be good if we could respect the land as it's original custodians did.

Weather cycles however have been occurring here for a lot more than 200 years round here so is not made man.
I thought he was retarded back then and so it has proved to be.

Damage
Owl status

Re:

Post by Damage » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:29 pm

boogaloo wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:07 am
Global warming is a wank.

It's a sideshow and a distraction from the real problem: there are far too many humans.

We are a plague. Almost everything we do destroys the environment and wipes out other species.

The only thing that will make a real difference is massive culling of humans -- a big enough reduction in the population to allow the planet to recover.
same

Damage
Owl status

Re:

Post by Damage » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:36 pm

--++sunstroke++-- wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:28 am
http://www.truthnews.us/?p=820

High Cost of Paying for a Hoax

Phil Brennan
Ether Zone
November 13, 2007

It is the greatest scam in history. I am amazed, appalled and highly offended by it. Global Warming; It is a SCAM. Some dastardly scientists with environmental and political motives manipulated long term scientific data to create in (sic) allusion of rapid global warming. Other scientists of the same environment whacko type jumped into the circle to support and broaden the ?research? to further enhance the totally slanted, bogus global warming claims. Their friends in government steered huge research grants their way to keep the movement going. Soon, they claimed to be a consensus?

—John Coleman, meteorologist and founder of the Weather Channel.

Coleman goes on to describe what has taken place regarding what he calls the global warming scam.

So, when are you bunch of whining communists gonna wake up & realize that you've had the wool pulled over your eyes haha!

Damage
Owl status

Re:

Post by Damage » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:38 pm

Damage wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:19 am
I just rate the fact that all these posts will be immortalised for eternity in cyber-space and so Sunstroke's grand-children can come here in 50yrs and look up this thread and learn just how 'unsound' of mind ole gramps was.

ps And hello to my own grandkids! Rest assured that your poppy tried to fight the good fight. :D
:lol:

Damage
Owl status

Re:

Post by Damage » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:41 pm

--++sunstroke++-- wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:11 pm

My only bug-bear is that human beings are NOT responsible for global warming via man-made CO2 being released into the atmosphere.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:29 pm

“John Coleman, meteorologist and founder of the Weather Channel.”

And when John Coleman says meteorologist, what he means to say is that he has absolutely zero tertiary educational qualifications in meteorology or any other field of science. He means to say that he was just a TV weatherman, the stuffed suit who reads the teleprompter while gesticulating vaguely in front of a green screen each night before the funny dog story.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:25 pm

What's scary for me is the number of otherwise intelligent and successful people I know who still fervently believe it's all a hoax and renewable energy will never amount to anything.
The number isn't many, really. Maybe 4 or 5. Fortunately most of my friends and acquaintances are more enlightened.
It's just that, having achieved so much with their lives, they seem completely blinkered to what's going on around them.
One guy, in his 80s, was an Australian rally champion and senior executive with two car companies.
He gets really vitriolic about it. Loves quoting internet stuff from dubious sources. Hey. Maybe he's really sunstroke.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:27 pm

Another one loves this guy and is convinced the world is out to get him.

https://climatefeedback.org/evaluation/ ... an-plimer/
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.