Bodyboard Repair

Tribal discussions for bodyboarders only.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, sandonpoint, Forum Moderators

kookmachine
Local

Bodyboard Repair

Post by kookmachine » Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:28 pm

What does everyone think the best method of repair for a board is?? im talking delamination (rails, slick, nose) coming off.... its happened to me a few times now and ive tried silicon, and that failed.... i got it repaired down at BSC with Blob and that failed too.... and today i discovered about 10cm of my new boards rail has decided to depart from the rest of the board.... i reckon superglue with a sealant is the go???

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:05 am

dont use superglue unless you know what you are doing.
it may burn the core
what sort of board is it? a manta type polypropylene core or a morey type polyethylene core?
go for some contact glue.. it works and is very similar to what they use(used to use, when i was there) at manta for heat laminating rails etc.
ive used contact glue to keep my boards together, the most important thing with contact glue is to use it properly, dont just blob it on and stick the parts together straight away, it will come appart instantly.

ok, you get the delaminated rail/slick or whatever and thinly spread contact glue on the side to be stuck.
then the same with the core, and let it go tacky for 15-30 min.
(put some tooth picks or something to hold it open in there to stop the two parts touching).
then when its tacky like sticky tape, press the two parts together(with out tooth pick in there) and bobs your auntie.
i find silicon is ok for filling fin cuts in PE boards but thats about it, just to keep the holes waterproof.
any probs give me a hoy and ill help you out.
cheers
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

Lidder
charger

Post by Lidder » Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:51 am

i used sticky tape :D

Dicco
Grommet

Bodyboard Repair

Post by Dicco » Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:55 am

If you do decide to use 'superglue ' I reccomend that you use a good brand such as Loctite . I know they have a grade which when used with a suitable primer - also supplied by them,will bond quite well to polypropylene or polyethylene .Youi have to use the primer or no sticker whatever.Since this grade was developed with Polyprop and Poly ethylene in mind it probably wont hurt the core - but...
Dicco

Lidder
charger

Post by Lidder » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:07 am

just dont use that blob crap, doesnt work.

kookmachine
Local

Post by kookmachine » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:53 am

its a custom x beaded polypro board and the delam is about 10cm long...

marcus, what type of contact glue are we talking?? is there a specific brand name or type i can pick up from the local hardware or am i going to have to trek around to find some??

and Dicco, can i find Loctite at most hardware stores and does anyone else know if this glue will damage the board??

Dicco
Grommet

Bodyboard Repair

Post by Dicco » Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:48 am

With Loctite the best thing to do ( I think ) is to go onto their website or ring them and ask about the stuff but remember to tell them you are gluing to polyethylene or polypropylene .These are around the hardest plastics to glue to as they are so chemically inert. our local hardwre store should be able to get the grade in or you ca go to one of their main distibutors which are usally ball bearing/bearing suppliers . The warning about taking care with these superglues is quite right in that you can easily stick things together that you would never want stuck - lik efingers !
Good luck

Dicco
Grommet

Post by Dicco » Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:22 pm

I remeber now that i used Loctite 480 with Activator 178013 to glue polyethylene and Loctite 406 was good as well, with the Activator 178013
Remeber no activator , SFA bond !

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:26 pm

good advice dicco, i might try it myself.
the contact glue ive been using is any selleys brand or even the one from the petrol station, have used superglue in an emergency (south coast was pumping and my manta slick was peeling off).
loctite have so many superglues its not funny, make sure its the right one.
dont know what they used at manta, tho it looked and acted like contact glue, it was that browney orange stuff.
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

kookmachine
Local

Post by kookmachine » Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:27 pm

ok now worries
cheers

Southozzie
regular

Post by Southozzie » Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:35 pm

theres a guide to repair your board at bodyboardshop.com. But it looks like you know what you are doing with the advice given.

I've got no worries with repairing a board, but i'm fed up with having to re attach my bicep leash. The thing just keeps coming off.

kookmachine
Local

Post by kookmachine » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:26 pm

patched her up today with selleys contact glue... looks like its working welll but i think ill silicon the seams up tomorrow to keep it nice and dry

amsay00
Grommet

Post by amsay00 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:20 pm

hey my board got a little plug tear 2day the plug must of shifted in a whipeout and it tore the top deck but not too deep does anyone know if this will do much effect to my board its a science if that helps cheers

I_BOOGER
Grommet

Post by I_BOOGER » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:06 am

my rail came off my old board and i just smuthered it with with sponge res..

6 bucks at bsc its like silicon glue shit but it works

rex
regular

Post by rex » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:45 am

amsay00 wrote:hey my board got a little plug tear 2day the plug must of shifted in a whipeout and it tore the top deck but not too deep does anyone know if this will do much effect to my board its a science if that helps cheers
tighten you board plug that use to happen on one of my old boards
if you want to make it waterproof let the board dry out for a few days and put some glue (loctite or contact glue) in the hole and tighten the board plug

nbbooger
Grommet

Post by nbbooger » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:53 pm

on the topic of repairs... i got some gouges in the deck of my 4Play RH PP from when i stacked it on some rocks... seems to get a tiny bit of water in it... wonderin if this is a problem n if it is what i should do

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:41 pm

nbbooger wrote:on the topic of repairs... i got some gouges in the deck of my 4Play RH PP from when i stacked it on some rocks... seems to get a tiny bit of water in it... wonderin if this is a problem n if it is what i should do
fill them with sponge resin, you can get from bodyboarders surf co or most surf stores for about 5 bucks, works a treat.

amsay00
Grommet

Post by amsay00 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:59 pm

yeah i got a tear in ma deck too i just used sealys hot glue has worked fine soo far