Pre-workout supplements

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Grooter
Duke Status

Pre-workout supplements

Post by Grooter » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:34 pm

Okay let me start by saying I'd never heard anything good about these. Usually you go great on them for a while and then you either get immune to them or they have nasty side-effects.

So anyway I was lamenting to a relative that as the only time I get to go to the gym is in the early hours of the day before work and as such I always struggle after half an hour because my energy levels are so low. I tried taking protein powder 30 minutes beforehand and it did some good but ultimately I was still spent and exhausted by the end.

He asked if I tried the pre-workout stuff to which I replied no so he gave me stuff called Mesomorph and told me to try it.

So I did

And fcuk me :shock:

No energy loss, did more than I usually did and went to work feeling pretty good. Slight bit of a crash mid-morning but a piece of fruit and a muesli bar took care of that.

So

For the health and fitness freaks out there what is your opinion on taking this shit? Should you take it all the time? Do it for a month, go off it then go back etc....
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Pre-workout supplements

Post by PeepeelaPew » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:34 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:45 pm

Legion wrote:Subscribing to this epic thread. Shouldn't this be in the Flamer's Dungeon?

APS Mesomorph
• Alpha-Male aggression.
• Most comprehensive Thermo-energy matrix ever put in a pre-workout powder.
• Skin-splitting vascularity and insane pumps!
Yeah it makes some pretty ghey claims, I just want to know whether anyone out there uses them and what (if any) advice they have
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:57 pm

Pre-Workout and Fat Burning Supplements

Pre-workout supplements and fat burners are common allies in the quest to build muscle. However, they often carry large doses of caffeine and other stimulants. Examples include pre-workout supplements, such as NO-Xplode and fat burners like Lipo 6.

The Mayo Clinic reports that stimulant side effects can include nervousness, irritability, insomnia, addiction and dependency, heart palpitations and rhythm abnormalities, weight loss, tremors, mild hypertension, hallucinations, convulsions and heart attack.

Sounds like a normal day in the life of a grooter. :P
Or anyone on Realsurf forums.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:48 pm

Grooter, it depends on what you are trying to get out of your workout. If you are trying to shed weight then training first thing in the morning before you eat or take anything is not a bad thing.That way you are using your body fat stores for energy.
If training for another purpose then some simple carbs such as fruit before a workout can be as good ( and cheaper) than many supplements. Protein powder would be better taken after a workout, though taking it before won't hurt you. It will be more the sugar than the protein that you will be getting energy from in such a short space of time.
Many supplements have limited benefit and are a wate of money IMO. The supplement industry has plenty to answer for with the claims they make. Notice the claims often say ' may' assist with this or that? That is because in many cases they also may not do anything. Much of the research is often also done by so called 'experts' who just happen to be hired by the supplement company.
Fat burners...well I would just concentrate on training hard and eating well.Some of them can have pretty horrid side effects and others are just a complete con.

A protein supplement can be good if you are not getting enough protein in your normal diet. Per workout is easily fixed with natural foods containing simple carbs and sugars that can be quickly absorbed. Or just buy a cheap glucose powder.

Creatine can also help but be very careful taking it for extended periods. It's only now that the truth is coming out about the side effects of long term use. I myself would not even worry about taking it and just stick to a good clean diet.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:50 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:43 pm

nuffink ngo wrote:just take speed .
poor mans coke...

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:15 pm

Grooter.

You have fallen for Marketing.

Continue to take that stuff over a two or three month period and you will notice a steady decline in effectiveness, until it does fcuk all for you other than possibly clog your arteries and cause your kidneys to overwork.

There is no, repeat, no way around a long term goal driven commitment to peak physical performance under a regime of focused training and good clean non-supplemented diet.

There is nothing a protein supplement or vitamin pill can do for you that actual food can't do better.

There is nothing any of it can do for your brain chemistry that packs anything like the serotonin-triggering energy of an actual training goal.

What do you want?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:22 pm

Later this week at Grooter's place.

(The image is from google searching for 'pre work out supplement retarded', it came up on a bodybuilding site. The spelling mistake was an added bonus)

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:28 pm

I'd've suggested a couple of extra weetbix, a few bananas, a double ristretto and a shot of Jameson.
But damn, Nick's slammed that one out of the ball park.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:03 am

Just another hilarious episode of that new hit tv show GROOTER!
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:08 am

reginald wrote:Grooter you dont seem to be trying that hard to heal that massive vagina between your legs.

maybe rubbing some of that powder on it would close it up. eventually.
tune in next week to see what insane hi jinx Grooter! gets himself into ..
will he apply some of his wife's estrogen cream by mistake?
Eight o'clock Thursdays on ABC.
GROOTER!
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:31 am

Cool thanks Natho and Nick I think you guys have convinced me not to get it.

In regards to simple carbs and sugars maybe I'll eat some fruit next time.
Nick Carroll wrote:
What do you want?
Just not to get so exhausted that's all Nick, I've never eaten/taken anything before I go the gym in the mornings before so I was trying to work out if I should and what should I have to hopefully ward a bit of it off.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:39 am

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:51 am

Legion wrote:If you're getting exhausted to the point that you can't finish your program, maybe it's your training regime that needs altering, not your diet. I don't ever get exhausted, although I did when I first started and did ridiculous overtraining programs.
Yeah that is a distinct possibility as well.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:53 am

So your problem is that you get tired and hungry after exercise?

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:58 am

I think Legion has a point.

How long are you training for? If you are training hard for say an hour or more, then yes you are going to get tired/ exhausted. In some ways it may not be a bad thing. As you keep training and get fitter, you won't get as tired. Possibly your training is working, or you are over training. Depends what you mean by exhaustion.

You should be able to get a good workout done in half an hour to 40min.

Try a Cross Fit workout, that will smash you in about 20min and you are done.

My own workouts currently only take 30min (or 40min if I add other exercises after Brad Gaul comes in and I realise Im not as fit as him). I do circuits with minimal rest using heaps of core and functional movements. By the end of it Im tired but I would not say to the point of total exhaustion (which would probably indicate overtraining). I reckon anything I do after that is probably a waste of time given my body has been put through its paces within 30min.

Avoid the old body building type workouts that were designed by and for guys on a heavy load of the gear. They are a quick way to overtraining.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:05 am