are surftech boards any good??

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Re: are surftech boards any good??

Post by Beanpole » Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:22 am

Plenty in Bondi. Plus all the derivatives. There’s a girl who rides a tuflite Fat Wombat….not very well. Another mid thirties guy has a brand new tuflite Gerry Lopez pintail. He seems a bit of a loose unit. There’s an Arrow I see regularly. A few Waldens. McCoys, McTavishes, Tolhursts. That’s plus AQSS boards, Sunova, Aloha, FireWire, Harries has his own signature wood veneer model. Then heaps and heaps of Softlite boards, Mick Fanning foamies, O&E Foamies.

Our resident Gentleman Scientist knows Fcuk all about material science. He can’t even repair his own Poly boards. The simple fact the other boards are painted makes them last longer. Unless you treat poly boards with kid gloves and keep them away from direct sunlight they will deteriorate quickly. The thicker the glass job the longer they will last. Most old poly boards are yellow, rotting and brittle with deck dents and sunken foam if exposed to regular sunlight. That’s why they paint boats.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Pants
Local

Post by Pants » Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:36 am

Dude, you’re getting a bit hot under the collar because someone is speculating on materials.

I think the hypotheses is PU boards are now much more popular than the alternative construction. This is because ultimately PU boards are better in every way.
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:05 pm
Just got another bindie out of my heel when I had a shower.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:46 am

Pretty much correct.

The Market has spoken loudly and clearly and a few old kooks were not sufficient to keep Tuflites a viable concern.

Don't tell me beanpole is giving himself another conniption trying to headbutt reality.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:29 am

I'm quite happy with epoxy boards, I can't remember the last time I bought a regular construction board, maybe the mid ninety's, they damage just way too easily.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:33 am

Beanpole wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:22 am

Our resident Gentleman Scientist knows Fcuk all about material science. He can’t even repair his own Poly boards. The simple fact the other boards are painted makes them last longer. Unless you treat poly boards with kid gloves and keep them away from direct sunlight they will deteriorate quickly. The thicker the glass job the longer they will last. Most old poly boards are yellow, rotting and brittle with deck dents and sunken foam if exposed to regular sunlight. That’s why they paint boats.
Okay kids, let this be a warning about what happens when you try to think without using your brain.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:38 am

jeezuz christ, vintage gobbledegook.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:39 am

Cranked wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:29 am
I'm quite happy with epoxy boards, I can't remember the last time I bought a regular construction board, maybe the mid ninety's, they damage just way too easily.
You told us you bought poly McCoy's not that long ago, yeah?

From 2021: I don't have any Surftech McCoys, three are poly and one is epoxy with a double stringer. The set waves had 10' faces, with chop and huge steps. The steps had me airborne half a dozen times at least over a 200m ride - it was crazy stuff, I can't believe that I managed to stay on my board (it was a 7'4)

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:05 am

Oh shit, lol, you're right. I had three poly McCoys: 6'8" 7', 7'4 and and an epoxy 8'.

I think they all just stayed in my mind as McCoys.

The regular construction ones were really heavy. I though they were bullet proof and was very disappointed when the 7'4" broke. Got rid of them all then. Back to strong, lightweight epoxy.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:11 am

I just dashed off for a pleasant surf before the tide got too high.

Back to sunshine and offshores. I'll catch the lower tide at 12pm

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:45 am

Yuke Hunt wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:33 am
Beanpole wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:22 am

Okay kids, let this be a warning about what happens when you try to think without using your brain.
Prove me wrong.
Most collectables have been reglassed.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Pants
Local

Post by Pants » Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:46 pm

You’d have to say epoxy boards are stronger. No argument from me there. But, it makes for a stiffer ride with the board on top of the water rather than working with it. Takes away the surfing experience in a huge way IMHO. More like riding skateboards.
Beanpole wrote:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:51 pm

It’s a different feel. More surface planing that’s for sure. That’s why sophisticated bottom contours and rails are so important.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Pants
Local

Post by Pants » Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:56 pm

I get that. But, don’t think they can emulate the feeling of PU. Just a personal thing.
Beanpole wrote:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:05 pm

No, fair enough.Tend to be a bit corky in hollow waves. Although the last stand up dredging barrel I got was on a tuflite fish.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:17 pm

I just sold my epoxy on the Gumtree. I just don't like them. Bloke I sold it to was excited to give it a go in the Melbourne tub.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:48 pm

I still have a JD. Epoxy, but timber railed. It's a small step up (6'2"), but goes well from 4'. Has twang

Only other poxy board I've ridden was one of Hayden's on loan at Lord Howe. Not a Hypto, but it was fcuked for paddling in. Seemed to just want to cork at the top. JD's nothing like that
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:37 pm

Polyester resin is also more water permeable than epoxy and more prone to micro cracking.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:01 pm

Epoxy on PU is pretty good.