Liddle Hulls

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

mad max booger

Post by mad max booger » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:31 pm

ye id have to agree

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:19 am

mad max booger wrote:ye id have to agree
do u make boogies max?

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:39 am

ric_vidal wrote:
collnarra wrote:I wonder why Liddle attaches the wet and dry, rather than having it done at the factory - thoughts anyone?

col
Only guessing col but I think it would give owners a real sense of being involved in the whole experience and really feeling the contours. Surfing is nothing but a sensation and boards are the vehicle. Probably not the right words, but I ain’t ni©kna©k so it will have to do!

I must admit from a shaping point-of-view I like to have a lot of contact with a board. Shaping is a very tactile experience, so when I am at it I like to keep in contact with the board. You could say it is just a ‘feel’ thing but I think it is more of an energy (intentions) transfer. Make of that what you will. :wink:
I would like to say, WRONG WRONG WRONG (and just did ;) ) but I'm not sure :?
My guess would be they have polished it up nice and glossy which is easier and faster (if youse are a sander-dude) with electric machines and though that may look good, it doesn't ride so well, so they get youse to un-gloss it yourself ...

Board looks interesting, wish we had a wave pool some where to test/swap /enjoy different boards.
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:37 am

munch wrote:
ric_vidal wrote:
collnarra wrote:I wonder why Liddle attaches the wet and dry, rather than having it done at the factory - thoughts anyone?

col
Only guessing col but I think it would give owners a real sense of being involved in the whole experience and really feeling the contours. Surfing is nothing but a sensation and boards are the vehicle. Probably not the right words, but I ain’t ni©kna©k so it will have to do!

I must admit from a shaping point-of-view I like to have a lot of contact with a board. Shaping is a very tactile experience, so when I am at it I like to keep in contact with the board. You could say it is just a ‘feel’ thing but I think it is more of an energy (intentions) transfer. Make of that what you will. :wink:
I would like to say, WRONG WRONG WRONG (and just did ;) ) but I'm not sure :?
My guess would be they have polished it up nice and glossy which is easier and faster (if youse are a sander-dude) with electric machines and though that may look good, it doesn't ride so well, so they get youse to un-gloss it yourself ...

Board looks interesting, wish we had a wave pool some where to test/swap /enjoy different boards.
True Mu[n]ch, but it don’t take long with a bit of sandpaper to take the gloss off and they ain’t given them away. Boards LOOK better gloss polished and I suspect most of the dudes these boards attract are old-school thinkers, so that means gloss.

And yes sanded is faster, less stick! Have I successfully contradicted myself yet? Still think it is good for a rider to have a connection with their equipment, rightly or wrongly.

Ninenorth78W
Grommet

Post by Ninenorth78W » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:29 pm

hey - nice board, Wayback. very nice pics -- too bad you didn't post on Swaylocks - those are probably the best hull pics i seen where you can appreciate the characteristic that make em hull - thin pinched rails, uprail fwd, rolled bottom. got a nice hull thread goin there. Nice.

I myself am waiting for my Pointbreaker model - should be arriving in a few days.

question: why'd you pick the Inbetweener (as opposed to the Pointbreaker or MP3) ? ( really i guess that's like asking you what reg type wave you surf)

Ninenorth78W
Grommet

Post by Ninenorth78W » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:32 am

i reread again through the posts, takin my time, and see wayback's where mentions riding in beachbreaks. i guess that's why you picked the inbetweener, instead of the pointbreaker. (inbetweener more versatile/ pointbreaker more committed, as they say)

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:30 am

Have to agree with you 9N78W, Waybacks pics really give a good insight to the design.

Can you shed any light on the Wet'n'dry? Wanna give us a run down on how these puppies ride??

Ninenorth78W
Grommet

Post by Ninenorth78W » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:57 am

i'm new to hulls myself, so cant' give you any insight yet. my hull's due to arrive in a coupla days. What interested me about them is the style - it's all about projection and glide - and the fact that their ideal setup is a point break, which is 95% of what i surf. Also, I started surfing in 1980 on late 70's single fins - so it's natural to me to scoot up and trim from time to time. (as opposed to always driving off the tail thruster style) I always tended to ride a little further up than most of my pals - i loved twins, and recently jumped back on a fish -- another fact of hull riding i'm looking fwd to.

Wet/dry sanding - it's been said here already - the Hull tribe (and others) seem to believe roughing up the bottom a bit means mo'slippery tru da wata. i'm buyin' it. (even thinking about doin same to my retro fishy)

wayback
regular

Post by wayback » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:24 pm

Sorry for not replying sooner. Made a trip "up north" on the hint of a kick in the swell charts, but spent three days swimming in a flat sea.

I actually specified no gloss coat when I ordered the board, to save weight and, as others have correctly guessed here, to increase slipperiness. I guess Greg Liddle was just so busy, these little things sometimes get overlooked. He got the really important stuff down right, though.

He taped the wet and dry to the board with a note, so I'll let him explain:

"The piece of wet and dry sandpaper should be used to wet sand the bottom and rails of your surfboard for better performance. By using water and the #320 paper and sanding the board from end to end with the stringer you will remove the wax and shine of the finish coat allowing the water to 'stick'. The resulting water to water lubrication will increase hull speed and control.

"If you are sceptical you might ride the board as is and then ride the board after wet sanding. I think you will be surprised at the result. The board can be refreshed periodically with the 320 paper and water to maintain the wetsand feel."

He carries on with a couple of pages on his flex fins and fin placement. I think this gives an insight into the kind of guy he is, and why I really wanted to have a board made by him.

As for choosing the Inbetweener rather that the Pointbreak, you're right that it's because of the waves I mostly ride: beachies with fairly straight, fast banks. I do also ride points occassionally on my travels, and I reckon the Inbetweener is still more of a pointbreak board than for beachies. If I mostly rode pointbreaks, though, I'd definitely have gone for the Pointbreak shape.

Sorry there's no performance report yet: the next possible swell window is about 10 days offs. Hanging ...

Ninenorth78W
Grommet

Post by Ninenorth78W » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:13 am

wayback,

dunno bout you, but i really mulled and mulled and shopped around before i place with Liddle. In the end, it seems the Hull tribe considers him The Man, and i wanted something real committed. I can't just walk into a store and buy decent (much less alternative) board here.

But I saw some killa stuff out there in cyberspace, checkit:

Dennis Ryder (ex-Wilderness shaper) www.dennisryder.com ( http://www.dennisryder.com/surfboards.htm ) - probably the most aesthetically-pleasing hull i seen, with lines more similar to yr Inbetweener.

www.andersonsurfboards.com

--- check the Bojorquez model ( if ya did homework, you prolly heard of Steve Krajewski/Estaban Bojorquez - one of the hulls premier riders in Cali)

--- also check the Pescado --- hybridized hull

Spence Kellogg

http://www.ishapes.net/ -- eps/epox or pu/pe

there are a handful of other well-known hull shapers i've learned of ( Klaus Jones, Marc Andreini), but these are websites i know of

Ninenorth78W
Grommet

Post by Ninenorth78W » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:34 am

regarding wet sanding bottom: although i'm 'buyin it' and i'm gonna do it when i git mine. i'm wonderin. This reminds me of something. i also like to ride Dale Solomonson's surfmats - and me and others posed this quesion to dale: WHAT IF WE FILLED OUR MATs WITH HELIUM? would it lighten up enough so that we'd be catching waves sooner and skimming faster?????

The answer was, that in scientific terms, yes it would infact lighten you up a bit. But the reality of it is that the ammount of lift that helium is giving is inconsequential. Yr decrease in weight and increase in speed would be miniscule ammounts. I was told my mat wouldn't even lift off if it were filled with helium. ( and here i had an image of me walkin out to the point with my mat in hand like a balloon on a tether )

I mean the difference in drag between a smooth gloss bottom and a sanded bottom, across water that's moving maybe 25 mph at best. how much difference can it really make?

.... but i'm doin it anyway! (cuz greg sez so)

wayback
regular

Post by wayback » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:36 am

Thanks for the links; some of them I know and others I look forward to learning about.

I'm sure they're all great but the hull obsession really started in the hands of Liddle, so I chose to make the pilgrimage to the source.

Then again, I do have a Surftech in my quivver so, even though it's a Takayama shape, I'm in no position to preach purity of soul. Whatever gets your stoke glowing ...

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:39 am

Ninenorth78W wrote:regarding wet sanding bottom: although i'm 'buyin it' and i'm gonna do it when i git mine. i'm wonderin. This reminds me of something. i also like to ride Dale Solomonson's surfmats - and me and others posed this quesion to dale: WHAT IF WE FILLED OUR MATs WITH HELIUM? would it lighten up enough so that we'd be catching waves sooner and skimming faster?????

The answer was, that in scientific terms, yes it would infact lighten you up a bit. But the reality of it is that the ammount of lift that helium is giving is inconsequential. Yr decrease in weight and increase in speed would be miniscule ammounts. I was told my mat wouldn't even lift off if it were filled with helium. ( and here i had an image of me walkin out to the point with my mat in hand like a balloon on a tether )

I mean the difference in drag between a smooth gloss bottom and a sanded bottom, across water that's moving maybe 25 mph at best. how much difference can it really make?

.... but i'm doin it anyway! (cuz greg sez so)
Buoyancy and surface tension are two entirely different things my friend, and I can definately tell the difference of the finsh sand. There was another thread on it and I can't be bothered looking it up now but I'd think you'd enjoy the read have a look for it.

Ninenorth78W
Grommet

Post by Ninenorth78W » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:04 am

munch - yes i understand we're talkin about two different things. i wanted to ponder how much difference these things we do to enhance performance really make.

Still it interests me enough to give it a lash.

over on Sways there're numerous threads on it.

hey even if it's a pscyh thing making it seem faster - that works.

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:18 am

Ninenorth78W wrote:munch - yes i understand we're talkin about two different things. i wanted to ponder how much difference these things we do to enhance performance really make.
Hey can you post some picks of your mat :arrow: wondered what rails etc youse have got on it :?:

Ninenorth78W wrote:hey even if it's a pscyh thing making it seem faster - that works.
not biting :twisted: , ah bugger I just did ;) :D :lol:

p.s does the mat have a lightning bolt on it :?:

Ninenorth78W
Grommet

Post by Ninenorth78W » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:54 am

Munch - no lightning Bolt on it -- just has written on it "Blow Here". 8) :D

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:35 pm

Ninenorth78W wrote:Munch - no lightning Bolt on it -- just has written on it "Blow Here". 8) :D
I might get that printed on my underpants from now on, to help the missus and all and sundry.

Ninenorth78W
Grommet

Post by Ninenorth78W » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:38 am

well, WTF! I decided to go ahead and post shots of my new Liddle Smoothie - 7'4". checkitout - you likee?