Liddle Hulls

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:19 pm

Just sent off a request for gimp, munch, munchas gracias :wink: .

Nine-o, I'm in North Carolina, no real points, pretty much all beachies.
Probably why i got the Liddle for the price I did; was @ a high school yard sale by a jilted ex (cute, though) who had moved east from California. Unlike any other board you'll see around these parts.

Don't know if I should bother his royal Liddleness in his Maui sanctuary for further info over so random a find.

Back to pics: I can see my original posts on xp also, not 2000, one must be metric, the other imperial :lol: .

Mind my asking what fortunate turn of circumstances got you to Panama?
I've an uncle who's been next door to you in CR for about 25 years now,
lucky bastard. Both of ya's :wink: .
I'm going to bed now. cheers

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:25 pm

offshore1 wrote:Just sent off a request for gimp, munch, munchas gracias :wink: .
no order, download:

http://www.gimp.org/

but some one will probably offer some advice on something that is:
a. windoze native
b. cost ya bucks

p.s sweet dreams ... :)
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

Ninenorth78W
Grommet

Post by Ninenorth78W » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:12 am

rode my Liddle today in chest to headhigh pointbreak. Nice shape and good conditions.

Very fast down the line - trims beautifully - you influence the board more than you command it. as you climb drop, you build speed on speed.

cutback -- gonna need work here - bringing this puppy around is a bitch, a completey different feel than other boards i've been riding last few years (thruster and Fish). 'member Pointbreaker has WP further up than Wayback's Inbetweener model. Riding from the center of the board is a trip, but feels good tucked in a highline trim.

Bottom and top turns feel sharp.

Felt the fin worked best about 13" up from tail. (trailing end)

gonna take some gettin used to, but loved the speed without having to pump or drive off the fins.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:14 am

Ninenorth78W wrote:cutback -- gonna need work here
This doesn’t surprise you does it 9n78w?

It looks very ________ in the rocker department and with those knifey rails you would need some courage to throw yourself into a cutback. Are they more of a pivot job?

Anyway, nice account, you’ll have fun working it out.

You could always do as I do, go straight :D :arrow:

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:54 pm

ric_vidal wrote:
Ninenorth78W wrote:cutback -- gonna need work here
This doesn’t surprise you does it 9n78w?

It looks very ________ in the rocker department and with those knifey rails you would need some courage to throw yourself into a cutback. Are they more of a pivot job?

Anyway, nice account, you’ll have fun working it out.

You could always do as I do, go straight :D :arrow:
ahh ric now i realise why your double concaves and side biters come in handy on your longboard :wink:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:33 pm

Longygrom wrote:ahh ric now i realise why your double concaves and side biters come in handy on your longboard :wink:
:lol: no side biters on the mal, maybe some outrigger style training wheels would help 8)

Ninenorth78W
Grommet

Post by Ninenorth78W » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:31 pm

yep - very flat rocker - even more so than my fish.

Cutbacks: No surprise really. next time gonna try to pivot a bit off the top like you say, before I try to sink the outside rail and leverage back around. (GL says the rounded flat tail is 'easier' to bring around too, compared to the round tail)

It's definately a good ride tho.

Looking forward to hearing from Wayback on his first good sesh on the Inbetweener.

Ninenorth78W
Grommet

Post by Ninenorth78W » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:52 am

here's a pic so you can further appreciate how flat the rocker is on the Liddle.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:16 am

Ninenorth78W wrote: Cutbacks: No surprise really. next time gonna try to pivot a bit off the top like you say, before I try to sink the outside rail and leverage back around. (GL says the rounded flat tail is 'easier' to bring around too, compared to the round tail)
I’m figuring you scoured the Liddle site before purchase (it is the pointbreak you got?) but reading this suggests maybe the pivot isn’t the go after all.

Thanks for the photo, rake up them hibiscus you lazy surfie bum :D

http://www.liddlesurfboards.com/pointbreaker.html

Ninenorth78W
Grommet

Post by Ninenorth78W » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:15 pm

Yep you may be right about the pivot -- just gotta figure out the technique. I'll get it yet.

BTW- African tulip not Hibiscus :)

Ninenorth78W
Grommet

Post by Ninenorth78W » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:13 am

got an email back from Greg Liddle - gave him my thanks for the nice board... adn some feedback.

his advice re cutbacks: think rail, not pivot. initiate cutback at the bottom of the wave, not the top.

wayback
regular

Post by wayback » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:06 pm

My Liddle lost its virginity on the weekend. Like most first times, the conditions were less than ideal: big, meaty beachbreak slamming onto a pretty straight bank. But the frustration level of week after week of not even a glimpse of a swell - let alone a feel - had built to a climax, so when the typhoon swell hit I went all the way. Sort of.

If I took off at an angle (no time for bottom turns), jumped up quickly onto the front half and simply trimmed, I went faster and smoother than I've ever been on a board - including mals. Then I got slammed in the close-outs.

Tried bottom turning on the rare ones when I had the time and got it fairly sorted on my forehand. Backhand turns had the board flipping over like a dinner plate - I'm obviously too far back and too hard on the back foot. Pivoting, I guess. As for cutbacks: couldn't do them at speed and managed only a few tentative, kooky ones on the reforms.

I really have to learn how to surf completely differently to manage this board. With other new boards, you can usually make a few adjustments and have them sorted within a few waves. Even though the conditions weren't right, I still feel that you simply cannot surf this board anything like you would any other board.

Having said all that, the brief moments when I was in trim and flying felt sooooooo good and also so different from trimming on other boards. Rather than riding on the edge of control on the surface of the wave, I felt as though the board was part of the wave, getting pulled faster and faster with no sense of effort or loss of control.

Learning to surf again: how many times in life do you get to experience doing things you love for the first time?

bc
charger

Post by bc » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:28 pm

I have a shortboard shaped by
"Calum Liddle , Angourie Point, Australia"
-any relation to Greg?

Ninenorth78W
Grommet

Post by Ninenorth78W » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:13 am

i've had my hull out on several sessions since last post here. All on point breaks.

notes:

1) once you tune that fin, cutbacks from the center position aren't all that difficult... just step back a little just before going into the turn. rode it in real lined up point surf 6-8ft faces. riding from the center and forward of center was a trip - heaps of glide - speed building on speed -- and the board still feels plenty sensitive and knifey.

2) on a few waves i've just let the board trim in the pocket the whole length of the wave. no wiggle -- she'll just race along with the lip the whole way - up high - the lip would occasionally break on my hip or thigh, but the board would cruise along nicely. Had a good swell for the last week -- holidays here , so crowds heavy. rode a wave that normally doesn't break, but when other spots are overhead, this spot only about 3-5ft faces -- so few bother - got it alone - some rides 300 yds.

3) on real small waves (3-5ft) you can step right on the tail, and the thin tail allows the board to turn short arcs. like a rapier. the board goes rail to rail extremely well.

4) board paddles like you're pulling along a sea anchor though

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:18 am

Hiya 9/78,
Got any pics?
Are you on the Caribbean side? I need to recheck those coordinates again. :?

hamish
regular

Liddle Hulls

Post by hamish » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:00 pm

here it is. My Dick Van Straalen hull ready to wing its way across the nullarbor. i can't tell you how geed up i am about this board

cousteau
regular

Post by cousteau » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:50 pm

oh my ...
dimensions?

hamish
regular

Liddle Hulls

Post by hamish » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:39 pm

7 ft x 22 x 3
bear in mind the rider is 6'5