Another New Toy

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Another New Toy

Post by Trev » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:23 pm

The last year or so has seen my fitness suffer dramatically. At my age, it's hard to maintain fitness and even harder to regain it when lost.
From a year ago, due to pretty poor conditions I didn't get too many surfs up until August when we went overseas for a few weeks, then on return i was forever getting tests done in the leadup to a prostatectomy in December. Then no surf for 6 weeks afterwards.
It's really only in the last 2 or 3 months I've got back to anything like regular surfs.

I've done what I can to try to maintain some sort of fitness but haven't been all that successful.

The end result has been difficulty in catching waves then difficulty in getting to my feet. This latter is pretty much due to trying too hard to catch a wave, then when I do, rushing the pop up. Probably made worse with peripheral neuropathy.

Anyway, a few weeks ago in a small surf at Maroochydore, I borrowed a mate's board. He's my age, but has had three heart ops and suffers from a mild (at this stage) form of asbestosis and he had a board he bought of a local small volume maker which is 9'3"and about 3¼"thick. To cut a long story short, I caught every wave I paddled for in an hour and a half session and was surprised how well it turned in small surf.

The guy who made it made another one three years ago, slightly larger and I knew he'd moved on to something else since so I had a talk with him.

Bought it off him and with dimensions approaching Nick's Queen Mary category killer, it suits me.

9'6" x 23"x 3 3/8"" With a few interesting design bits and thick rails. I've ridden it in overhead waves and am still amazed how well it turns for me. It's pretty much unmarked. $650. "Christo".

I guess the big thing is it's given me some confidence back. Easy to paddle and more importantly, stable for my pop ups. I still have my Pacer and my old faithful John Broadhurst for different conditions. The big thing is I'm getting more waves, more often.

Some pics.

Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

offshore1
Duke Status

Re: Another New Toy

Post by offshore1 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:29 pm

Nice story Trev, sophisticated shape.
Now we need to work on yours.
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:38 pm

offshore1 wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:29 pm
Nice story Trev, sophisticated shape.
Now we need to work on yours.
Fcuk.
My shape is a lost cause. #*!
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

marauding mullet
Duke Status

Post by marauding mullet » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:55 pm

That’s the idea Trev, gotta keep moving and getting out there, whatever it takes.
I didn’t get in the water much when we first moved back to SA and eventually I just bit the bullet bought my first mal since the old Wallace I had as a first board 55 years ago.
It’s helped immensely.
petulance wrote: 01100100 01101001 01100111 01101001 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101011
Lucky Al wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:07 pm
You're a spazz Mighty Sunbird.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:59 pm

Nice story, Trev. Pics didn't pop up though.
Same type of reasoning on my part for thinking about a Walden. Those fuckers are way thick. I started thinking about it when I started riding the foamy. It's 7'6" and 67 Ltre.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:07 pm

Beanpole wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:59 pm
Same type of reasoning on my part for thinking about a Walden. Those fuschia are way thick. I started thinking about it when I started riding the foamy. It's 7'6" and 67 Ltre.
Anyone else can't see the pics?
They're clear here and it would seem offy can see them.
Beanpole

Skipper

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:01 pm

Beanpole wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:59 pm
Same type of reasoning on my part for thinking about a Walden. Those fuschia are way thick. I started thinking about it when I started riding the foamy. It's 7'6" and 67 Ltre.
I've ridden quite a few of the Walden's megamagics, they are unbelievably good at catching waves but otherwise not very good performers.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:05 pm

image not found x 5

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:15 pm

buddy wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:05 pm
image not found x 5
Odd.
Can you leave the post open for a minute or two and see if they appear?
I'll repost one and see if that makes any difference.
Beanpole

Skipper

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:16 pm

Beanpole

Skipper

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:18 pm

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:29 pm

I think I know what happened.
I'll repost them on imgbb later and change the settings there.
Beanpole

Skipper

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:29 pm

I was visiting Agnes waters during the week. Have only been there once back in the mid 80's when it was 4wd friendly road from Miriam vale into Agnes.
Went there to catch a cyclone swell and it poured rain the entire weekend and can only remember the caravan park and the point.
So on this visit I'm watching a couple of older guys (early 60's) who were both sporting the same long blonde hairstyle from the 70s and riding longer albeit fuller nosed big guy type shorties struggling to catch beachbreak waves. They'd both paddle for waves and eventually get to their feet for a late take off that left them struggling to make an distance across the wave faces. I could almost feel their frustration. Watched them for quite a while since the waves were pretty ordinary.
Eventually a guy who was in his 50's walked down the beach and paddled out on a seaside and beyond midlength fish. He proceeded to glide into waves with just a few paddle strokes and make it across the waves far longer than the 2 other guys who weren't paying the least attention to him even though there was only the 3 of them out there. Moral of the story obviously if you aren't catching waves then there's not much surfing being done. Here's these guys that are obviously life long surfers that were not doing themselves any favours at all with their board choice. But hey, being a selfish surfer I wasn't about to tell them that if they walked past me on the way out. They probably would have told me to piss off anyway...quite rightly so!
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:44 pm

Reloaded at the top and here.

Beanpole

Skipper

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:09 pm

Interesting board Trev, I'd love to give it a tryout.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:29 pm

Looks good Trev. That tail clearly helps with turning.

As much as I love channels, never seen them on a long board. I would have thought the planing area makes them redundant.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:39 pm

channels wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:29 pm
Looks good Trev. That tail clearly helps with turning.

As much as I love channels, never seen them on a long board. I would have thought the planing area makes them redundant.
Yeah. I think the guy just likes to experiment.
I'll ask him tomorrow.
Club comp. First since February.
Beanpole

Skipper

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:21 pm

Can see now. A lot of mals had belly channels back when the revival happened. My sons still got an old Rod Rose one he bought for peanuts. Goes like the clappers actually. Should have taken mine out today.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?