are surftech boards any good??

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Re: are surftech boards any good??

Post by swvic » Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:10 pm

Josh's are EPS. Lighter than PU, but way stronger. Mine is excellent for heaving beachies. Wide point slightly forward, narrow round pin. Did a Sth coast NSW trip with it as my only board. Chucking some small fins in it was okay for smaller days too. Don't surf it much these days, but barely a mark on it
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:12 pm

pinhead is a mate of JD. If he was still about, his comparative inputs would be well worth the read

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:18 pm

Beanpole wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:45 am

Prove me wrong.
Most collectables have been reglassed.
Untrue.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

marauding mullet
Duke Status

Post by marauding mullet » Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:30 pm

buddy wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:01 pm
Epoxy on PU is pretty good.
Yes! The board I bought off Iggy was that construction. Didn’t keep it, wrong board for me but it felt solid and tough.
petulance wrote: 01100100 01101001 01100111 01101001 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101011
Lucky Al wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:07 pm
You're a spazz Mighty Sunbird.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:15 pm

Yuke Hunt wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:18 pm
Beanpole wrote:

Prove me wrong.
Untrue.
Well that’s irrefutable evidence :lol:
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:39 pm

Beanpole wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:15 pm
Yuke Hunt wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:18 pm
Beanpole wrote:

Prove me wrong.
Untrue.
Well that’s irrefutable evidence :lol:
I don't need irrefutable evidence to prove your half baked thought wrong. Some vintage surfboards are indeed re-glasses, many others are not. A quick Google search will prove that as an irrefutable fact.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:53 pm

I will accept your apology, Yuke. Yes, some specimens miraculously make it through after being kept in the dark for 20 years.
Fcuk, I had an absolutely mint MP that was one of the last boards he ever made. Sat on top of a piano in my mums garage for ages.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Pants
Local

Post by Pants » Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:49 am

Anyway, have we concluded Surftech boards aren’t much good when compared to PU? Personally I don’t want to ride something just because it may last longer. Defeats the purpose of surfing.
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:05 pm
Just got another bindie out of my heel when I had a shower.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:25 am

They don't really last longer though, that was all marketing.

The reason you'll still be able to buy 50 year old PU/PE's and not 50 year old EPS/Epoxy boards is that PU is a much more stable, inert and hydrophobic core material.
Once EPS is exposed to water it breaks down very quickly due to water intrusion into the molecular structure.

Really well built compsands like JD's will last because of the strength in the lamination, but take a look at an old Firewire, they've all turned to shit.
Most Tuflites end up in landfill once they get waterlogged.

While a Brewer gun (for eg), well glassed, is still going strong. I have one under the house. The chemical and physical bond between the lamination and the core is much more solid and stable.

And the reason an ancient PU/PE can be stripped and reglassed is that the core is still solid and stable.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Pants
Local

Post by Pants » Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:55 am

Fair enough
Beanpole wrote:

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:09 am

Beanpole wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:53 pm
I will accept your apology, Yuke. Yes, some specimens miraculously make it through after being kept in the dark for 20 years.
Fcuk, I had an absolutely mint MP that was one of the last boards he ever made. Sat on top of a piano in my mums garage for ages.
Jesus fucking H Christ on a stick, you really do waffle on don't you ... there's a shit-tonne of vintage surfboards in good condition all over the planet. Have a quick look on the internets and see for yourself.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:17 am

Another couple of things about JD and the I'll stfu; He told me if the laminate is punctured, get it out of the water and here asap. Probably wouldn't have charged. Great guy

The also have a vent to accomodate heat expansion/contraction. I imagine it's a real problem for EPS cores without them

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:18 am

Yeah, thats the other problem.

Early Firewires had the vent.

Without the vent, delamination is almost guaranteed.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:37 am

Surftechs were built in a mould, they have a "divinicell" layer which is incredibly strong and
very resistant to damage (like a factor of 5 or 10 compared to traditional fibreglass boards), it does not shatter like fibreglass, nor does it age.

Hit it with a hammer and it will not damage. It's ludicrous to believe there would be more surftechs in landfill. The exact opposite would be the case.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:11 am

I was at a sailboard shop about twenty years ago and they had the tail segment of a wave board. It was there to show how strong their new glassing tech was. Along with the tail segment was a hammer that you were encouraged to use.

I wacked it a few times and it left no mark at all. If it had been a surfboard I would have buried it right into the foam.

Can we really try, I asked the owner, he said go for it. He held out the tail and I wound up a huge hit to it, as hard as I could possibly hit it. No damage at all. Surftechs aren't that strong, but they are way, way stronger than the regular glassing regimes.

I find your continued denigration of them as very strange Steve. And the "they are too stiff" is also a cop out. They are too stiff is only because surfers ride boards that aren't stiff, they are not used to them and their reactions arent optimised for them. Flexing the board wastes energy that could be used to drive the board down the line faster, push harder faster turns and get more air.

Pants
Local

Post by Pants » Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:23 am

Nah mate. They are as stiff as well, boards. They work against the water not with it. How many to you see in pro events? In free surf footage..etc.

You’re in the minority but, that’s cool too. You also ride McCoys. You’re an outlier and that’s totally cool.
Beanpole wrote:

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:30 am

Cranked wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:37 am

Hit it with a hammer and it will not damage. It's ludicrous to believe there would be more surftechs in landfill. The exact opposite would be the case.
Sorry mate, that is utter bollocks.

I've seen them snap, I've seen fin boxes ripped out, I've seen them gouged from hitting rocks and other surfboards. I've seen them delam.

And once water gets into the core, thats all she wrote.

Landfill.

I found this thread from 2005- it makes very interesting reading almost 20 years down the track.

https://forum.realsurf.com/forum/viewto ... 8&start=18

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:45 am

What does "work against the water not with it" mean?

Current surfboards are already very stiff. I'd hazard a guess that the average surfboard probably flexes about two inches front and back. I think surftechs may halve that and may flex 1" front and back.

Not so very different, but one works against the water and the other doesn't?