Riding olo boards with displacement tails: a Tom Blake . . .

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Riding olo boards with displacement tails: a Tom Blake . . .

Post by Roy_Stewart » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:58 pm

http://olosurfer-woodensurfboardsatpipel...splacement.html

"We had an absolute blast riding it but it was very hard to ride. It paddles in a straight line better than any surfboard I've paddled. It's no wonder Tom won races on this thing. Turning is another story. Tilt your feet right and it goes left!"

Brad Tucker
Wood surfboard supply

marcus
Owl status

Re: Riding olo boards with displacement tails: a Tom Blake . . .

Post by marcus » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:36 pm

A new Baron is available for delivery now at US$ 528,000. The price includes crated shipping to your door and a custom surf tubes board bag.
i'm in the wrong business
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:13 pm

Required for the job: The patience of Job.

8)

astro
Grommet

Post by astro » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:52 pm

What's so displacing about these so called displacement hull boards. :? Any board/hull will displace water to some degree. :idea: In shipping water displacement is used to determine minimum ballast and maximum loading of a vessle 8) but untill recently that's the only time I've heard of it. :?: Even that Riddel bloke says he now calls them sompthing else. :roll: Is there anyone that can displace my doubts on this issue. :|

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:29 am

Hi Astro.

You are correct. All hulls displace water, even planing hulls.

The displacement tail design is so called because it makes a gradual transition from a predominantly planing hull type to a 'displacement hull' shape. This means that the proportion of displacement based lift to planing based lift increases towards the tail. This is excellent for control and it ensures that control remains consistent over a wide range of speeds.

I have written many times on the fact that the term 'displacement hull' is a misnomer when applied to the kind of boards made by Liddle and co as they are predominantly planing hulls. The extreme pintails which we use are however predominantly of true displacement hull shape. The boards are thus hybrids. I never refer to my pintailed boards as displacement hulls, it's a term which only applies to the tails.

astro
Grommet

Post by astro » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:35 pm

thank you Roy. :)

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:09 pm