kneeboarders???

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

omar

Re: kneeboarders???

Post by omar » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:17 pm

Steve Artis now lives in Bali. I met him out in the surf at Ulus a year or 2 back. He still shapes a few boards. He originally shaped kneeboards at Hot Buttered when they were located in Mitchell Rd Brookie

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:20 pm

one said kneelo is fairly keen and has creased his kneeboard after big freefall drops at copa pt. he'd be in his late 40's now and has been on his knees for a long time. no said permanent knee damage. (yet).
nature is a language. can't you read?
if you spend your life looking behind you, you don't see what's up front...

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:26 pm

chrisb wrote:
otway1949 wrote:John Lennon said it " One thing you can't hide is when a cripple's inside!".
Peter Garrett once said "It's better to die on your feet than to live on your knees".

And the Bureau concluded ...

But you are just another in a long line of fools
Giving us freedom
With a new set of rules
It is only for Sheep
Only for sheep, for sheep
Cos when you're awake you're a sheep

Now as for the deck-pads ... I would highly recommend using them especially if you have dodgy knee syndrome ... I have a full set from Squidgrips on my latest board ... they have good grip but they are a bit thin and lack the required cushioning ... David Parkes has a good product ... you can also make your own with a bit of effort.
As for a board that could cover both standing and kneeling ... a FISH ... after all they were originally designed as kneeboards ... mind you the Australian inspired fins forward style of kneeboard is far superior in my opinion ... the fish style of kneeboard with the fins back is still quite popular with the seppo brigade ... and quite functional ... although the vast majority of high performance kneeboarding is being done on the more modern fins forward design.
Four kneeboarders appear in the latest Surfind World list of Australia's 300 most influential icons ... and one more gets an honorable mention ... :D
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:42 pm

omar wrote:Steve Artis now lives in Bali. I met him out in the surf at Ulus a year or 2 back. He still shapes a few boards. He originally shaped kneeboards at Hot Buttered when they were located in Mitchell Rd Brookie
Thx Omar.......interesting.

Heaps of people move to Indo hey.

Good life in many respects. 8)

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:50 am

mustkillmulloway wrote:interesting, i guess i look at 400 others in the line up....all standing up...all surfing the same :shock:

and wonder....do i really want be just like em :?

i like the idea of a niche, and the fact thats it's not wats coooooool

it's sure hurt some shortboarders egos....but i couldn't give a rats

it's just another way going surfin....hard complain :)
Great outlook MKM, more people should think this way.

Down my way there's a few kneelos on the Island, Neil Luke & co and I see them out quite a bit. It's always interested me and I've also thought about adding one to my quiver.
matt... wrote:it still amazes me how late & deep that these two can commit
Womble wrote:especially when they see how well Kneeboarders handle really late takeoffs and constantly rack up far more tube time than the majority of KnOrmaL surfers
mustkillmulloway wrote:...it's cool looking @ the wave from a different angle, it seems your going so much faster :shock:
Getting more and more interested.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:44 pm

Up your way when you consider it is the original ground where Greenough opened the door on where a board can go I can see you tucked into a long winding barrel , big S shaped cutties and back into the barrel or just a long tuck on the foam ball the average knee boarder can go places on the wave that only expert level surfers can go :!:
Enjoy the new scenery :!:
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:39 am

do you have a board yet?

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:44 am

yeah :arrow: and the best tube in ages 8)

http://www.parkesaustralia.com/KneeBoards.htm

i need decent flippers now

anyone eva rode a old greeno spoon and if so how it go :?:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:24 am

Have a peep at Crystal Voyager - they look like a nightmare to paddle and Greenough uses cut off navy diving flippers. But the footage great and he's in command on the waves.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:12 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote:yeah :arrow: and the best tube in ages 8)

http://www.parkesaustralia.com/KneeBoards.htm

i need decent flippers now

anyone eva rode a old greeno spoon and if so how it go :?:
I've ridden a Spoon and it's a whole different dimension, crappy in crappy waves, needs a full power on wave as you take off ala kickboard, drop udown and pull up to your knees, and then you need to lay a huge capable bottom turn and then you have the speed, if you lack in any of those departments you just wallow and sink.
For al round non genius surfing then the Parkes and other aussie knee board shapes are the way to go.
BTW there is another product for the flippers ( fin sox) may help.
Hey also see Krypt surf for their mats another Greenough inspired vehicle :lol:
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

Rockyisland

Post by Rockyisland » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:33 pm

Thought I better bump this thread as the world kneeboard titles are on at Phillip Island this March 2011
The Island has a yearly Comp intiated by Neil Luke back in 1986 I think Lukey is now up in Byron Bay.
I myself was a kneelo from 1974 but started standing up in the late 80s.
Still pull the kneelo out and I am always glad I do.
I went kneelo coz I liked the underdog staus and everyone had a kneelo mate they called vegie or crip etc.
These days a really good kneelo rider draws attention and respect as they always have and now SUPs cop all the flack before that mal riders and lids. The thing with keeboarding is you look really bad or really good there is no in between as its easy to start but hard to get really good. I find roundhouse cutties are unreal on a kneeboard as you are always facing the action and when you jump back on your fish or whatever it helps you separate your upper and lower body better to get a really good technical cuttie happening so riding a kneeboard is good for advanced surfing.
There are a lot of styles of kneeriding and I want to revisit the slab PC style which is a style of surfing that needs to be brought back ie spin and loop 360s, side slipping in the foam ball and lots of slippery stuff around the pocket.
I think Simon Farrer and Gavin Coleman are two of the greatest surfers in the world you just watch them in awe.
One Island Kneeboard classic with those 2 in the final at a solid 6 foot dredging RHander at Woolamai springs to mind as they pushed each other. As far as getting the stink eye kneeboarding I luv the look on crews faces when you kneeboard a few and then ride one standing up I know flashpoints go good as stand up boards.

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:32 pm

Here's my new board - a More by Mark Pridmore. 5'9"x 23 1/4" x 2 5/8".
I'm off to the other place while everyone is down at Phillip Island.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:11 am

very nice looking knee board, Im getting one of a mate for a swap for a board for his boy, will be fun to try it and if I dont like it will sell.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:08 pm

Have you been tempted to stand up on it?? I like the look of that planshape for a little stubby. Maybe come back to 22'' wide, but it looks like it'd be a fun board. Bet its fast!!

Love the nice curve on it.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:19 pm

i'd surf that standup!!!!!
great looking board....love the spray too 8)
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:22 pm

haha...just read beerfans post...great minds ay 8)

what are you doing for knee pads pp :?:

i'm sold on the parkes pad...but wonder why the shaper doesn't recess the deck so the pad could sit flash :idea:

try it mark , next time :idea: :!:

p.s love see footage of the comp....any links please paste em up

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:53 am

scooping ou for the pads would add weight, reduce floatation, reduce ease of resale, create alot of extra work for no real per benefit, would do it if customer wanted it but if we can do for kneelo, why not on shorties, why not the whole deck area where feet go ??? probably for the before mentioned reasons... :roll: would reduce float but add senstivity and feeling but would have to add foam elswhere, would make em look different and surfers dont like different looking unfortunately, even if it goes well, its gotta look nice and like what the mags show and what their mates ride...

cant see in pics but there's a little original logo of hand drawn 'purple pyramids', by my son, just to personalise this board a little MORE...ooops is that a plug, quick, shoot him down, thats not what the net is for..... :roll: :roll: :roll: sarcasim is the lowest form of wit.... :roll: :roll: :roll: