Tuberiding a longboard, maybe?

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

passanger

Tuberiding a longboard, maybe?

Post by passanger » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:34 am

Hello everyone,
I'm new here, a semi-landlocked surfer who spends all his money on surf travel. I get to ride some 2 months of good waves per year abroad, plus around 2 weeks of local windslop back home. Luckily, it's only one week to go for the next trip, surfing reefbreaks in Canary Islands.

With around 200 days of surfing experience I've sometimes made it a bit deeper in a small pit but never really ridden a proper cover-up, let alona a real barrel. If I progress a bit further (or too far) during the next weeks, I'm curious of what to expect. On a longboard in the tube, where do you want to go when the wave closes out? And where do you go? I know it's a bit of hit and miss, just don't want to get hit hard.

Please share your barrel hunting tips, not that I'm in a hurry, but just soon too old to crough on a board :D

Mr_momo_32
Local

Post by Mr_momo_32 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:15 am

On a longboard in the tube, where do you want to go when the wave closes out? And where do you go? just don't want to get hit hard.

then you probly shoudn't be riding a longboard in barrels. :(

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:55 am

try to make sure you stay low and crouched if indeed you are going to get pumped, avoid diving off unless you're pretty sure that will give you a good chance of getting clear of your board and avoid going over the falls. To me it sounds like your probably only going to be surfing small tubes anyhow, so the best place to be as I say is low on the face if you can anticipate the closeout, this will be better than either A) going up and over the falls, potentially onto some sharp reef or rocks or urchins, B) straightening out is an option as long as you clear the lip of the wave, and youve got somewhere to go (some times you're gonna have dry reef which doesn't cooperate well with bare human flesh nor foam and fibre glass).

At the end of the day, copping minor beatings is half the fun, as long as you arent injuring yourself or damaging your equipment, getting comfortable with copping a flogging and taking it in your stride will be a benefit to the development of your surfing.

RE your board, mals are good for noseriding and cruising, but if you are after barrells then its time to start thinking about different shapes, for what I'm guessing is your standard is, this doesn't necessarily mean a shortboard, what you do want to do however is lose the platform nose, you can still have a board that is big and easy to catch waves on, but that big round platform on the nose of your board is a serious hinderance to controlled tube riding, so have a look around for something around the 7'6" - 8'6" mark, with pulled in nose and probably a rounded pin tail, definitely a tri-fin, a little bit of extra lift in the nose will keep it clear of catching, dont go crazy on the curve (rocker) of your board, the more you increase the curve, the slower it paddles.

something like a mctavish carver would work and is a proven performer:

pricey but reliable with good re-sale value.

You might even wanna go further in pulling the nose in.

surfanimals
Local

Re: Tuberiding a longboard, maybe?

Post by surfanimals » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:56 am

passanger wrote:Hello everyone,
I'm new here, a semi-landlocked surfer who spends all his money on surf travel. I get to ride some 2 months of good waves per year abroad, plus around 2 weeks of local windslop back home. Luckily, it's only one week to go for the next trip, surfing reefbreaks in Canary Islands.

With around 200 days of surfing experience I've sometimes made it a bit deeper in a small pit but never really ridden a proper cover-up, let alona a real barrel. If I progress a bit further (or too far) during the next weeks, I'm curious of what to expect. On a longboard in the tube, where do you want to go when the wave closes out? And where do you go? I know it's a bit of hit and miss, just don't want to get hit hard.

Please share your barrel hunting tips, not that I'm in a hurry, but just soon too old to crough on a board :D
I went through a period some years ago when I snapped 4 mals in three days surfing well overhead Windy Point in Cronulla...November 1998 it was.

Dane Wilson was surfing it a bit at the time and he offered me some advise on your question.

'The safest place to be is in the barrel. Dont flick your board in front or to the open face, take the tumble in the pit with your board - reason being this is where the most water is moving'.

I never snapped a board there again too this day. :wink:
Last edited by surfanimals on Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nappy
Local

Post by Nappy » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:48 pm

Interesting read, Ive only been mal'ing for about 8 months but been a shortboarder for nigh on 20 years. (ride a few boards)
You can get some nice bazzas on mals but u generally have to get further back the more the wave is sucking, there seems to be a point of steepness/thickness that a standard mal cant hold. Can get some nice mid stance barrels on armond waves.

I find that once the barrels get to sucky (IE 90's kirra) that a mal cant hold the face once u get nice and deep, the board likes to flatten out.
This is only my opinion riding a 9'1 22' 3' Im 70 kg....

Maybe some super modern thiner mals could hold it tight, the width of a mal hurts too tho imo.

surfanimals
Local

Post by surfanimals » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:43 pm

Nappy wrote:Interesting read, Ive only been mal'ing for about 8 months but been a shortboarder for nigh on 20 years. (ride a few boards)
You can get some nice bazzas on mals but u generally have to get further back the more the wave is sucking, there seems to be a point of steepness/thickness that a standard mal cant hold. Can get some nice mid stance barrels on armond waves.

I find that once the barrels get to sucky (IE 90's kirra) that a mal cant hold the face once u get nice and deep, the board likes to flatten out.
This is only my opinion riding a 9'1 22' 3' Im 70 kg....

Maybe some super modern thiner mals could hold it tight, the width of a mal hurts too tho imo.
Right on the money mate...agree completely.

And when you get it wrong or choose the wrong line, this is what happens !

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:46 pm

Nappy wrote: I find that once the barrels get to sucky (IE 90's kirra) that a mal cant hold the face once u get nice and deep, the board likes to flatten out.
spot on mate, its flatten out or go up the face the other way unfortunately.

An interesting take on it is that of californian Tyler Hatzikian, he glasses em heavy and that way they stay moving in the direction they are pointed in steeper faces, works okay for bigger waves, but ya still gonna get screwed in the smaller ones as soon as ya need to make an adjustment and ya cant, though the long and heavy approach can seem to power through a fair bit of foam and turbulence, maybe even just push through the curtain if yav got enough skill and balance.

My latest mal is of the point and shoot variety, long thick and heavy but with pulled in nose and semi-rounded pin tail with 2+1 fin setup, with bigger (4'and up) fuller faces in mind. most other stuff is more fun on the fish or hybrid. I used to get stoked on riding bigger boards in knee high slop, but that wears thin pretty darned quickly. big boards in big powerful waves is a rush, a different rush to shortboarding, makes the high tides useful too.

surfanimals
Local

Post by surfanimals » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:02 pm

WANDERER wrote:
Nappy wrote: I find that once the barrels get to sucky (IE 90's kirra) that a mal cant hold the face once u get nice and deep, the board likes to flatten out.
My latest mal is of the point and shoot variety, long thick and heavy but with pulled in nose and semi-rounded pin tail with 2+1 fin setup, with bigger (4'and up) fuller faces in mind. most other stuff is more fun on the fish or hybrid. I used to get stoked on riding bigger boards in knee high slop, but that wears thin pretty darned quickly. big boards in big powerful waves is a rush, a different rush to shortboarding, makes the high tides useful too.

Wanderer, those pic's didn't work - would love to see them....! :roll: PLEASE.

This is my latest big wave machine....picked it up last week and yet to be ridden....so stoked.

My old one was a flyer. Here's some pic's on a smaller day but the speed and thrust is just a whole differnet experience to smaller boards. :wink:

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:14 pm

try right clicking the red crosses --> show picture or something??

they are coming up for me, although I did have some issues getting my photobucket album to load previously, maybe they are having technical difficulties or something??

lemme know if ya cant get em working and I'll email em or something.

or try clicking em?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ ... wilde1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ ... wilde2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ ... wilde3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ ... wilde4.jpg

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:35 pm

No mate, they are working fine now.

Animals, that is a very interesting looking board. What is the length overall, and if you don't mind me prying, what weight are you - I'm 90kg's and just trying to figure if that shape / spec would work for me..or if I would be blown off the back of it.

surfanimals
Local

Post by surfanimals » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:29 pm

LONGINUS wrote:No mate, they are working fine now.

Animals, that is a very interesting looking board. What is the length overall, and if you don't mind me prying, what weight are you - I'm 90kg's and just trying to figure if that shape / spec would work for me..or if I would be blown off the back of it.
The Malibu Gun is an amazing board - it doesn't just fly in head high plus, it also cruises 2-3 footers magically but for me, it is primarily for those juicy days say 4-5 foot plus. Fully tested in Indo by Andrew McKinnon as test pilot (ex Aust Longboard Champion).

I'm 36yo and 94kg and it makes my average ability look good ! :lol:

It's 9'3 by 23 by 3 1/4 and is bigger than his 'normal' Mal Gun shape. Standard is 9'1 by 22 or 22 1/2 by 2 7/8 or 3 1/8. I just like 'em a touch bigger to get in earlier and jumping off a 9'6 Tolhurst or 9'8 South Coast, it just makes the transition fluid for me.

Check out his website for more pics and info;

http://www.mcsurf.com.au/

The guy who bought my old red and blue one was blown away - just loves it to bits too.

Cheers dude.

surfanimals
Local

Post by surfanimals » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:52 am

Check this one for a beast !

A mate of mine learnt his trade under Skip Frye and is now out on his own under the gise of 'Josh Hall Surfboards' in the States.

Awesome guy and beautiful boards.

He sent me these last night....a 12 footer to beat them all. :shock: :shock:

Check him out at;

www.myspace.com/joshhallsurfboards

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:54 am

beautiful...

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:06 am

concur

dougirwin13
Grommet

Post by dougirwin13 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:19 am

surfanimals wrote:Right on the money mate...agree completely.

And when you get it wrong or choose the wrong line, this is what happens !

Oh! Fixey fixey! Twenty dollar!

-doug

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:00 am

WANDERER wrote:beautiful...
Bet if I had made it you bastards would just laugh and shake your heads. :?

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:17 am

ohhhhh now come on, take this tissue and lemme give you a hug.

For the record, I only laugh at Roy Stewarts ridiculous pipe-canoes.

Nappy
Local

Post by Nappy » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:21 pm

Great pics crew, my digi camera got nicked latley so i cant post any.

Animals thats alot of broken boards man! I only own 1 mal and would be gutted if it snaped, there not bloody cheap. That green mal/gun looks sick too, screams out "gland"" for some reason......
WANDERER wrote:My latest mal is of the point and shoot variety, long thick and heavy but with pulled in nose and semi-rounded pin tail with 2+1 fin setup, with bigger (4'and up) fuller faces in mind. most other stuff is more fun on the fish or hybrid. I used to get stoked on riding bigger boards in knee high slop, but that wears thin pretty darned quickly. big boards in big powerful waves is a rush, a different rush to shortboarding, makes the high tides useful too.
Interesting about the heavier glass and that. Also got emphasize what you say about the different rush to shortboarding in powerful waves as its so true, feels a lot rawer. Sometimes its like tamming the beast, im not a big dude :lol:
The nose on my mal is resonable flat, great nose rider tho. Im finding that im getting to the stage that knee high slop can get boring on a mal but still better than a standard shorty.

Seems common sense but alot of shortboarders dont understand/respect all the different intracies of riding a mal, I didnt really appreciate them till i rode one properly. (ie not just some once a year dig on a 1 ft summers day) Adjusting your line in a barrel on a Mal is alot harder too.

A little OT but cathing the nose can be hilarious on a Mal friggen hard to dig out once they go under. Got one the other week on a little 3ft (shoulder high for any feet challenged) where i free fell a fade take off, just caught the nose at the bottom. Like slow motion at first then launch.... a friggen cattapolt !!! Maybe even akin to pole vaulting as i was way back for the take off.

EDIT FK whats this 6 edits this is why i dont post much, in my day typing was for secutary's...not that im that old.
Last edited by Nappy on Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:20 pm, edited 6 times in total.