who can noseride

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

can you noseride at all

can u stick your toes over the nose cross stepping up there
32%
can u hang ten on the nose cross stepping up there
24%
can u stick your toes over the nose shuffling up there
15%
can u hang ten on the nose shuffling up there
No votes
are u nearly there and cross stepping
3%
are u neary there but shuffling
26%

Total votes: 34

Longygrom
barnacle

who can noseride

Post by Longygrom » Mon May 17, 2004 9:09 pm

who can noseride

theboat
charger

Post by theboat » Mon May 17, 2004 9:14 pm

i know that technically, they are all noserideing, but in my opinion, only options 1 and 2 can/should be claimed.

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Tue May 18, 2004 2:29 pm

I can shuffle up there, but I don't claim 'em.

Making myself cross-step, I'll be really stoked when I cross step up there cleanly and get back.

whitey
regular

Post by whitey » Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:27 pm

I used to have a shredder of a photo, I took a cammera out at noosa and took off on a set hung ten, pulled out the cammera and took a happy snap.Claimin` it.
.Whitey.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:54 pm

I can hang ten, kick five and occasionally hang heels...i take pride in my nose riding, i believe it is an essential skill in being a good longboard surfer, i get most of my boards built with nose riding ability as the priority, the reason? when surfing contests the chances of the waves being good enough for you to surf a high preformance style are very low, where as with the right board you can almost always noseride in any conditions

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:55 am

thats very true. in a longboard comp on the east coast, you will always have more of a chance of winning in any given surf (usually small) if u can nosewride well.

Freshie Boy
regular

Post by Freshie Boy » Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:58 pm

Longygrom wrote:thats very true. in a longboard comp on the east coast, you will always have more of a chance of winning in any given surf (usually small) if u can nosewride well.
haha story of your life chog.
Speaking of noseriding, is the old mal rally gonna be on this year, i had so much fun in that last year (ie my pic was taken at old mal rally)
<--------look at me!

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:47 pm

[quote="Freshie Boy"][quote="Longygrom"]thats very true. in a longboard comp on the east coast, you will always have more of a chance of winning in any given surf (usually small) if u can nosewride well.[/quote]
Speaking of noseriding, is the old mal rally gonna be on this year, i had so much fun in that last year (ie my pic was taken at old mal rally)
<--------look at me![/quote]

i beet u at the state on my thruster in 4ft surf!!! not many noserides there mate

theboat
charger

Post by theboat » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:48 pm

Longygrom wrote:
Freshie Boy wrote:
Longygrom wrote:thats very true. in a longboard comp on the east coast, you will always have more of a chance of winning in any given surf (usually small) if u can nosewride well.
<--------look at me!
i beet u at the state on my thruster in 4ft surf!!! not many noserides there mate
haha boom tish!!!!

yeah but i agree with longygrom and wanderer, noseriding it a much more essential skill in comps in comparison to progressive moves just becauseyou use it so much more... and besides who can to a floater at the end of the close-out (what most judges think shows any ability in "progressive" moves........ since when a floater was considered progressive i do NOT know.)

baldric
barnacle

Post by baldric » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:27 pm

when I ride a mal...nose riding is the manouvere of last resort...I know it's probably heresy to the majority of you, but floaters, reo's, round house cutbacks and the like are so much more satisfying than hangin' a few digits over the front of the barge....

I have a sayin' for all me mates that like ta ride their mals "traditional"...:
"those who can do....those who can't, they ride the nose".. :wink:

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:36 am

baldric wrote:when I ride a mal...nose riding is the manouvere of last resort...I know it's probably heresy to the majority of you, but floaters, reo's, round house cutbacks and the like are so much more satisfying than hangin' a few digits over the front of the barge....

"those who can do....those who can't, they ride the nose".. :wink:
Baldy... you signify everything that is bad about modern longboarding!

the point of riding a mal is to ride the nose, it is my belief that you have absolutely no noseriding skillz wotsoeva, you probably only noseride on the fat shoulders and even then you probably don't have your toes anywhere near the nose, plus "floaters, reo's, round house cutbacks" are hardly exciting or "much more satisfying" when its small surf. as a fairly well rounded mal rider I (and also many others) can perform the total repertoire of manouvres...

i also have a saying for blokes like you...

those who can noseride...do...those who can't should get off a mal and stick to riding shortboards or boogie boards...

the thing i hate to see out in the water is jacka$$'s like yourself, trying to eminate kelly on a malibu, never goin near the nose and just trying to slash and burn... back in the late sixties surfers wanted to "get radical and vertical" they found less use for the nose so they...

CHOPPED IT OFF!! ...if you aren't going to noseride then you should do the mal riding fraternity a favour and farg orf!!!

its shortboard wannabe's that make mal riders look so bad...

I have nothing against surfers who swap and change between equipment, this is the right way to go... but if you ride a mal like it is a shortboard you are a W^NK3R and should be ignored, the worlds best mal riders can do everything but most of all they can noseride...

IT IS NOSERIDING WHICH SETS MAL RIDING APART FROM EVERY OTHER STYLE OF SURFING... YOU CAN'T DO IT, I'D BET MY LIFE ON THAT!!!

...and B..R..E..A..T..H..

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:58 am

You're kidding aren't you Wanderer. I've never ridden a short board. Started surfing in 1962. Can't get more traditional than that. I can and do nose ride (getting the trim right to be able to cross step is an art form, I agree) but really can't be bothered. Like Baldric I prefer to use the length and weight of my Mal for turning - bottom tuns, off the lip etc. Nose riding - yep fun for kids and great points earners in comps.

baldric
barnacle

Post by baldric » Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:01 am

let me read my post again....looking for where it specifically says Wanderer in there and where it is a personal attack...nope...can't find it...SO WHY THE F*CK HAVE YA DECIDED TA RAG OUT ON ME IN A PERSONAL MANNER WANDERER???

It was my opinion, which included the fact that I thought it would be heresy to most of the people who post here....so don't tell me the "point" of ridin' a mal is to ride the nose....it might be to you, but it isn't to me....

as for it being "shortboard wannabes that make mal riders look so bad"....the way ya surf gives mals a bad name???....you've gotta be f*cken kiddin' me....mal riders get a bad wrap because some of them are inconsiderate arseholes no matter what their style...these are the blokes who take every set wave and/or consistently drop-in and have no consideration for anyone else in the water....

and the saying in me post is a jibe based around how I surf and my style....it's not a declaration of right and/or wrong or whether they are a waste of space and shouldn't be riding their boards....

now I knew my post would create a bit of controversy but I wasn't expectin' the inane personal spray that you posted....suggest ya go find ya dummy ya spat and replace it very quickly... :lol:

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:42 am

nose riding should be the first and most important thing on a check list of what makes a person a good mal surfer, anybody can stand at the back of the board...

i challenge you guys to try and focus more on nose riding... if you don't enjoy it then i reckon you're not doin it at the right time...

there's no better feeling than having your toes firmly planted on the nose whilst your flying thruogh a critical section...on the edge of disaster...

i love it!!! along with reos cutbacks and slashes

an important point to remember is this

IF YOU AREN'T NOSE RIDING, THEN THE EXTRA 2 OR MORE INCHES AT THE FRONT OF YOUR BOARD IS PROBABLY MAKING IT HARDER FOR YOU TO SURF PROGRESSIVE AND HIGH PERFORMANCE.
WHY NOT GET A BOARD MORE SUITED TO THE STYLE OF SURFING YOU WANT TO DO..

I understand that i am extremeley opinionated in this area but i feel very strongly about the way that mal riding is heading in australia.

I WILL NOT COMPROMISE ON MY BELIEFS

I DON'T THINK YOU SHOULD EITHER BUT THIS:

"those who can do....those who can't, they ride the nose"..

IS BULLSH!T...

THE BEST MAL RIDER IS THE ONE THAT HANGS TEN AND THEN FLYS THROUGH A FIGURE 8 CUT BACK AND TEARS THE TOP OFF THE WAVE

NOSE RIDES MAKE YOU A LONGBOARDER, OTHERWISE YOUR JUST RIDING A LONGBOARD.

I HAVE LITTLE REPECT FOR PEOPLE WHO RIDE MALS WITHOUT RIDING THE NOSE, THERE'S NOTHING SPECIAL ABOUT THAT...

NOT PERSONAL, THATS A BLANKET STATEMENT FROM ME TO EVERYONE!

i don't give a bollock if you like it or not, thats my opinion.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:06 pm

HAVE LITTLE REPECT FOR PEOPLE WHO RIDE MALS WITHOUT RIDING THE NOSE, THERE'S NOTHING SPECIAL ABOUT THAT...

Seems pretty personal to me, mate. I reckon you've missed the point of riding a Mal. It's about the versatility to work the wave. Nose riding WAS NOT (see I can yell, too) the primary purpose of surfing in the 60's. It has gained credence during the 80's and 90's revival, as someone said, partly because of the emphasis put on it in comps.
Me, I love the speed of being about a metre back from the nose, in the slot and flat out to make the section, maybe a head dip or if you really get it right, getting shacked.
But at the end of the day, I suggest some tolerance on your behalf in relation to other surfers who are all out there freely expressing themselves. That's what surfing was about in the 60's and, fortunately still is in the area I surf most.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:19 pm

TrevG wrote:HAVE LITTLE REPECT FOR PEOPLE WHO RIDE MALS WITHOUT RIDING THE NOSE, THERE'S NOTHING SPECIAL ABOUT THAT...

Seems pretty personal to me, mate. I reckon you've missed the point of riding a Mal. It's about the versatility to work the wave. Nose riding WAS NOT (see I can yell, too) the primary purpose of surfing in the 60's. It has gained credence during the 80's and 90's revival, as someone said, partly because of the emphasis put on it in comps.
Me, I love the speed of being about a metre back from the nose, in the slot and flat out to make the section, maybe a head dip or if you really get it right, getting shacked.
But at the end of the day, I suggest some tolerance on your behalf in relation to other surfers who are all out there freely expressing themselves. That's what surfing was about in the 60's and, fortunately still is in the area I surf most.
In the new millenium mal riding is about riding the nose...its not the 60's any more... a 9' board with maybe a 16 or 17' nose might be easier to surf from the tail, having a nose riding platform at the front of your board if you are not gonna use it is excess baggage, if you only go to within a foot of the nose why not streamline your board by removing some of the unwanted width in its nose and you'll probably find it goes better and is easier to handle in the juice... just a thought.

my question to everyone is if you are gonna have that big wide nose on a board, whats it for? if not for nose ridin...

theboat
charger

Post by theboat » Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:13 pm

WANDERER wrote:nose riding should be the first and most important thing on a check list of what makes a person a good mal surfer, anybody can stand at the back of the board...

NOSE RIDES MAKE YOU A LONGBOARDER, OTHERWISE YOUR JUST RIDING A LONGBOARD.
That last comment is quite true in my opinion.

I personally think of myself as a surfer, but what the hey, we are talking about mal-riding here.

Wanderer makes a logical argument saying that if you are not using the nose of your board, get rid of it! Although this logic can't really be applied to most cases because of surfing styles, physical factors etc etc.

Longboarding sets itself apart from the other forms of surfing because there are three moving parts, rather than just two; firstly the water, secondly the board, and finally, the one which sets us apart from shorties etc, the bodies movement via the feet.

This movement of the body is what I love about ‘being a longboarder’...I love taking of on my 9’6 heavy single fin and finding a pocket in the wave with a steep section forming up and then elegantly (I hope) cross stepping to the nose and looking down to see nothing infront of you except running water pearling at the nose of your board with little droplets of water splashing up between your toes.... nothing like the feeling. This followed by you once again moving your body, stepping back to the tail for a nice, long, smooth cutback (DK if you want to surf only traditional) back into the pocket..... Thats what I love about using my mal to longboard.

What I love about using my mal to ‘just ride a longboard’ , is getting out my 9'0 light, Tolhurst beach break model, duckdiving through the shorey and darting out into the lineup on a decent sized day. Paddling out for the set wave, knowing that people who don't know you are thinking that because you are a mal-rider, you are going to kook it. Then feeling your balls drop as you scream down the face and take that first swooping bottom turn and eye off the lip before feeling suspended in the air for a long, board breaking floater and then carving a few more turns and a quick noseride if there's enough time before the wave closes out.

I would consider myself a traditionalist, I was taught and brought up that way. My second little scenario written above is nowhere near as common as the first (I will usually take out the fish or the shorty) but it is often just as exhilarating.

You see some guys who criticise people surfing progressive..... they will beat them at point break comps, small days etc... but when a beachy is cranking, they will be the ones standing on the beach whining, whinging and moaning saying "This isn't what longboarding is about" as the progressive rider paddles out and goes for the first punchy set.

Then again the same guy who takes that set will be surfing with the traditionalist at clean 1ft Crescent a month later, watching his elegance and style and control of the board and thinking to himself "Yeah well, doesnt matter cause I charged that day last month.... this is only 1ft" before taking off on a wave, shuffling to and from the nose before trying a floater on a non-existent lip.

In my opinion the key is finding a balance between the two, you want to be a surfer, you want to be equipped for all conditions, but you can never, ever forget what longboarding is about… it is the glide, the trim, the movement and the style which sets us apart.

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:35 pm

'Noseriding and style should be a bigger part of judging.i beleive that classic style manouveres like drop knees, cheater 5's and walking the board are the essence of REAL longboard surfing'

'If u r going to ride a loongboard, ride it the way the best longboarders rode them.And if u r going to ride a shortboard, do it the way the best shortboarders do it'

'You dont go out on your shortboard to hang ten, and its not appropriate to hop on a longboard and imitate shortboard moves. If u do, you r joking because it is and looks so much easier on a shorter board'

quotes from ALEX KNOST