Show us your guns!

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

kayu
Local

Re: Show us your guns!

Post by kayu » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:58 am

8 ft woody gun...
Attachments
new 8ft gun-woody 001.jpg

Jorgo
Local

Post by Jorgo » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:14 pm

Kayu - thats a mighty fine looking piece of craftmanship. Any other pics of bottom and rocker profile etc. How is the weight factor and what set up fin wise??
Kayu - is that a play on words for U Kay? :?

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:18 am

Jorgo , I make wood blanks for some shapers. Props to DVS for design and shaping on this baby ( with some input from Mike Diffenderfer through Dick's experience). The weight is correct for the board....some very expensive wood used, but I hope it gets ridden in the conditions it was designed for...that would be cool...I think I have a rocker pic somewhere....

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:25 am

ps...the deck and bottom are milled from a slab of 100 year old plus Tasmanian Huon pine , the rails are solid Eqador balsa and the core is high density eps.....one god , one country ,one fin.... :lol:

Jorgo
Local

Post by Jorgo » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:33 am

So Kayu - looks mighty fine as I say. And so DVS and Mike D - they are both Gold Coast inhabitants??? - does that mean you are too?? Did you get to the Currumbin Wooden Boards show in early Aug. I had to bail by 9.30 and not all exhibiters were set up by then- but there were some truly beauitiful craft of all manner and shape
Regardless - a lovely job - and single fin would be only fitting 8)

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:55 am

Jorgo wrote:Regardless - a lovely job - and single fin would be only fitting 8)
I’m sure I could have squeezed in more :wink:

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:26 am

I'm at Currumbin.I intended to go to the wood board day , but got sidetracked and didn't make it . DVS is a Gold Coast institution of handcrafted surfboards and Mike Diffenderfer passed away some years ago in California. The board design is retro...and timeless....no extra fins required

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:17 pm

kayu wrote:I'm at Currumbin.I intended to go to the wood board day , but got sidetracked and didn't make it . DVS is a Gold Coast institution of handcrafted surfboards and Mike Diffenderfer passed away some years ago in California. The board design is retro...and timeless....no extra fins required
Ah kayu, I'm a Currumbin boy (well Tugun actually) but there was never any surf at Tugun. :roll:
So, The Alley it was or a long pushy ride with my Joe Larkin under my arm into the southerly to get to Kirra or Snapper.
Do you go back that far at Currumbin or did you move there from somewhere else?
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Jorgo
Local

Post by Jorgo » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:45 pm

Kayu - yeah well familiar with Dick and had a few boards in my time from him back from early 80s. As Cuttlefish knows too - he has a very solid following of folks that love his designs of all sorts of craft in all sorts of materials.
I thought (though the brain is not as good as it was) that Mike D was living on the coast at Tallai - or behind there at some stage about 5 years ago - though its probably 10 now. But I do remember surfing at the Alley on some early morning sessions when he was out :?
Trev - you just would have loved the banks at the Alley for the last month or so - but the last big swells has put a lot of holes in them - oh well another 8 years and they'll be perfect again

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:03 pm

Almost 40 yrs in Currumbin Jorgo , so I'd know your face no doubt !...originally south side Sydney..I do work for Joe quite often...he's got the work ethic of a young man and still put's em out with a deadly eye !...Currumbin Beach to Belinga has been good all year ,depending on conditions....short pushy ride for you !....

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:22 pm

kayu wrote:Almost 40 yrs in Currumbin Jorgo , so I'd know your face no doubt !...originally south side Sydney..I do work for Joe quite often...he's got the work ethic of a young man and still put's em out with a deadly eye !...Currumbin Beach to Belinga has been good all year ,depending on conditions....short pushy ride for you !....
Have you managed to combine Jorgo and me in this post?
Pushy for me in '65 & '66'.
Then at least I had a car from then on. But finished school and had to move to Brissie to work.
Do you still run across Eddie Sawden - or Peter Sawtell?
Or the Stewart twins Bill and Tony?
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:17 pm

Eddie has been scarce in recent years , don't know why ,I made an 8ft balsa blank for him maybe 10yrs ago or more ......I do know Peter , but not that well..still workin his digger far as I know.....it's funny how Currumbin has changed since they pulled down the pub...that place was unique

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:38 pm

kayu wrote:Eddie has been scarce in recent years , don't know why ,I made an 8ft balsa blank for him maybe 10yrs ago or more ......I do know Peter , but not that well..still workin his digger far as I know.....it's funny how Currumbin has changed since they pulled down the pub...that place was unique
Eddie and his brother Bernard lived at the bottom of our street. Their father was a builder.
Peter and I were in the same class at Currumbin Primary. We sort of caught up again when I started driving down to The Alley from Brisbane in the mid 80's to mid 90's then I got transferred to Sydney.
If you see Peter tell him I said "Hi"
Beanpole

Skipper

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:58 pm

Oh! Yeah!
Bet that baby will paddle like a shark.
Off to Outside corner Ulu's?
Only a rat can win the rat race.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:33 am

No disrespect but it's weird time of year to be taking delivery of a semi-gun?

Specially after the winter we just had.

Slight rolled vee throughout?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:27 am

Single conc?

Interesting.

Woulda thought a hulled/vee entry would be better for negotiating steep entry and bumpy surf.

Was that talked about?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:32 am

Yeah, that bottom contour config makes more sense.

Not saying a concave wouldn;t work.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:41 pm

Kitty....

Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.