Gothic Dolphins

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

bondi
regular

Gothic Dolphins

Post by bondi » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:56 am

A new flick coming out for all your trimming lovin' loggers on tha hulls!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFgY4TYvAB0

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:47 pm

that board looks like it goes like rubbish, but I'll reserve my judgement until I see some footage of quality that doesnt suck.

bondi
regular

Re

Post by bondi » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:31 pm

i guess that's why some of california's finest have been riding them and raving about them for so long - you've hit that one on the head wanderer!

you can stick to riding your sean wilde pigs - imo they're rubbish!

;)

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:03 pm

WANDERER wrote:that board looks like it goes like rubbish...quality...suck.
You got your foot in you mouth again Blunderer? :lol: Maybe this tells you more, although I doubt it. :D

Bondi, the way they are ridden doesn’t strike me as being one thing or another. Like a lot of people do when they ride a fish, albeit different in this case.

It looks like they are holding back on their turns in fear of something, something not good...

Whatever floats your boat though, plenty of room for different thinking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4hYK5TNKps&NR=1

WANDERER
Owl status

Re: Re

Post by WANDERER » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:15 pm

bondi wrote:i guess that's why some of california's finest have been riding them and raving about them for so long - you've hit that one on the head wanderer!

you can stick to riding your sean wilde pigs - imo they're rubbish!

;)
MMWWWWahahahahahahaaaa youre a funny cunny bondi, heres a tissue, wipe away the tears, and get a hug from mum, then I'd be having a quick bath to remove the sand from your vagina.

IMO I dont give a fark what you think, to the best of my knowledge I dont know you from a bar of soap, I also dont know what gripe you have with Seans boards, perhaps you just want to slander him in a public place? or me maybe? I rate Sean Wildes boards highly, they are by far and away the best I have ridden (that is my opinion), Sean is predictable and reliable and he knows what hes talking about when it comes to boards, I think I asked you once before to suggest someone who you thought was better, but it seems youre only interested in muddying Seans name. What ever it is mate, you need to chill the fuck out because you sound like a whiney bitch.

back on topic
My original point on those boards still stands, just because they are different doesnt mean they are better, just because some 'different for the sake of being different' 'alternative type' hippies from cali are raving about em, doesnt mean they dont go "like rubbish" IN MY OPINION.

Its funny, I havent noticed Chris Ward, Corey Lopez, Taylor Knox, the Hobgoods or Tim Reyes riding these boards and Id consider them some of californias finest? what finest are you talking about?

I was just making my judgement based on what I saw, which for the record is slow heavy boards which need to be pushed to get any speed out of, rubbish turning ability, and generally very sloppy responsiveness. I'm sure theyre a laugh to ride, heaps of fun, but that doesnt change the fact that if you were faced with surf like that at youre next go-out your best would be a semifish or hybrid, if not just a standard shortboard, maybe even a longboard. in my opinion they look like hard work.

and the arty farty style of the film just makes it all the more a wank.
Last edited by WANDERER on Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hamish
regular

Gothic Dolphins

Post by hamish » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:16 pm

we've been through this at length
http://forum.realsurf.com/forum/viewtop ... sc&start=0

I've been riding these boards all year on reefs and points in SW WA, and they are great. They trim much more quickly than a log and are, quite simply, fun.
Don't try to turn em too hard though.

bondi
regular

Re

Post by bondi » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:04 pm

Go Wanderer - stoked your easy to wind up!

Im stoked you dont like them, you can stick to your Hobgoods boards - they sound like they suit your style of surfing and personality!

As if i'd tell you where else to go get your boards shaped, thats for you to work out, and those 'arty cali' type of shapers dont want your style of surfing anyways!

;)

fong

Post by fong » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:51 pm

:shock: a longboard thread with a catfight :!:

I'VE SEEN IT ALL NOW :lol: :lol: :lol:

sorry hijack....i 'm in a postion too get a new board ( yayyyyyyy 8) )

is $680 a good price for a high performance mal :? :?

and i have a issue with actually buying a mal....i should get a standard shorty....cause welll.....u know.... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

but i surf better on a mal...should i give in
:shock:

surfanimals
Local

Post by surfanimals » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:19 pm

Hey Fong. $680 is a steal but is it a shitter or good quality ?

Plenty of cheaper end longboards but very badly built. Beware of the cheapo's, they end up coasting you in the long run.

Jacko's have some great quality 2nd hand boards for that sort of money - as good as new and a few differing labels to boot.

Other than that, $920 for a new 9'1 South Point Bonga Model would be your cheapest new option.

Now as for you Bondi, you retro little bugger......was your awesome sojourn to Indo and South Africa not enough for you in the past month to get you on a potato chip ? Geez man, those alternates have hit the spot....

Go hard brother, I love your passion for the wierd and wonderful - you are one mighty stoked young man and that's why we're mates.

(the video gave me a headache though - too much for my brain with all that flicking on the screen) :shock:

Wanderer, give him a break dude, he's a top guy, just misunderstood on this one.....but it was good to see raised hackles in this thread :lol:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:58 pm

Does anyone make a wave in that video?
Reminds me of softboard surfers in the flags at Bondi.
There was one guy out last summer who had the full california 70s style on a softie. Could have been in Pacific Vibrations or something.
It was really soulfull :wink:

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:50 pm

surfanimals wrote:Hey Fong. $680 is a steal but is it a shitter or good quality ?

:
it's a quality bit gear...actually...its sick....all that and more...and yeah i could buy it sell it 4 profit....but thats not my style :wink: :arrow: made for a pro who never showed pick it up :cry:
it's off my LOCAL shaper...he woiuldn't sell me shit for fear of dropins :wink:

AND THERES NO ONE LOWER THAN THE GUY/GIRL...PUT $50 DOWN ON A CUSTOM THAN NEVER COMES BACK........SCUM :x

i like it....al;ot...but i've broken my quiver...only got a fish left :cry:

BUT BEST FISH IN THE WORLD :!: :lol:

but....i got cash for another...and i really want a 6'6...but.....u know.....am i kiddin meself......maybe i belong on a mal....but can i get over the STIGMA of riding one full time :?: :arrow:

p.s i've broken my fong username.....but this is me... :wink:

surfanimals
Local

Post by surfanimals » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:05 am

mustkillmulloway wrote:
surfanimals wrote:Hey Fong. $680 is a steal but is it a shitter or good quality ?

:
but....i got cash for another...and i really want a 6'6...but.....u know.....am i kiddin meself......maybe i belong on a mal....but can i get over the STIGMA of riding one full time :?: :arrow:
Just work out which you enjoy.

Does a 6'6 give you more satisfaction than a mal, which one gives you more wave count, and which one is more suited to the conditions you surf more often than not.

Don't let the mainstream dictate what you actually feel more comfortable on, just work out what YOU want to ride and what YOU find more satisfying.

If we were all the same, it would be a very boring place to be so just do whatever gives you the most stoke.

Some people suit shortboards, others alternates. It's no different to some people being better than others on the tools as opposed to some being better in a professional work role and some driving utes as opposed to sports cars.....each to their own.

Sounds like you got yourself a good buy if the board anyhow - if it feels right just do it and love it.

Go forth and enjoy - you'll never get a second chance at today so if you miss one session in the water because of the wrong board, you never get it back so why waste it ?

p-a
Grommet

Post by p-a » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:07 pm

thoes boards look so lame,

its the same type of board jimmy gamboa (spelling???) was riding in sprout and as soon as he tryes to cut back the thing just sucks

why is it that every thing from SoCal is so cool????????????

i dont get why you would want to ride an S deck

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:43 am

p-a wrote:those boards look so lame,

its the same type of board jimmy gamboa (Edit by WANDERER: and Dane Perlee from memory) was riding in sprout and as soon as he tryes to cut back the thing just sucks

why is it that every thing from SoCal is so cool????????????

i dont get why you would want to ride an S deck

Thank christ for that, I was starting to begin to wonder whether it was just me...

Surfanimals: like I said, I dont know 'bondi' from a bar of soap, I have no reason to get stuck in, other than his constant and unexplained slander of Sean Wilde and his boards, I'm sure he is a very nice fellow, my first response to this thread was aimed at the subject matter not the author, I stand by that response and it seems that I'm not alone.

I'm all for experimentation and innovation, but it should always be about finding new things that work.

I'm about to order a new mal, its gonna be a supa-cruiser with access to bigger days in mind: 10 foot, glassed a bit heavy, pulled it at nose and tail with a 2+1 fin setup, part all-rounder, part gun but maintaining a very decent level of nose-ride-ability, if anyone has seen the 9'10" that Tudor rides at Puerto Escondido at the end of the film "siestas and olas" they'll know what I'm talking about.

Ninenorth78W
Grommet

Post by Ninenorth78W » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:13 am

That particular youtube vid of hulls was lame -- i agree. But i've been riding Liddle hulls now for about a year - coming off std shortboard and fish -- and find them hulls addicting. Ideally you ride on long pointbreaks, not much bigger than overhead, although it's done. It's a fast, smooth, on the rail style..... and you can do some pretty beautiful high-speed cutbacks on them once y learn the board. You don't always have to be pumping the board for speed, which the best part of all. This board ain't about fin-free, tight gouges, tail slide, vert surfing -- rather smooth banking turns with sustained (increasing) speed allaway down the line.

You gotta admit, those waves in the gothic dolpin southwinds vid wuz pretty crappo.

Ninenorth78W
Grommet

Post by Ninenorth78W » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:21 am

Here's a clip that's a little better --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryEpoBDaggo

..... with some gratuitous made-in-SoCal violence for spice. (??)

and then here're some older clips (1971-1977) of the Hull Tribe at Malibu:

www.allaboutsurf.com/articles/sixfeet

Definately not for everyone -- but i dig.

p-a
Grommet

Post by p-a » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:58 pm

it just looks like they draw the same lines on the hulls as you would on a log just no walking or drop knees

i have been on the liddle websight the fins look nice

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:36 pm

You guys really don't need to look to california in 71 for that kind of action. It was done better right here on similar equipment.