Massive fin gouges

Tribal discussions for bodyboarders only.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, sandonpoint, Forum Moderators

Nine Mile Point
Grommet

Massive fin gouges

Post by Nine Mile Point » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:05 pm

Why does this happen to me, my Churchills sliced my feet when i bought them, but it stopped mysteriously around April. down on the South Coast i lost my churchills, so i bought Nomad NX's

These have put slashes around the top of the foot that cause quite a bit of pain. Does this actually happen in summer like water temps, because i had no problem with the Churchills through winter.

I'm about to go out and buy fin socks but i want to know what the cause of the problem is

dammit__01
Owl status

Post by dammit__01 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:13 pm

next time try the fins on, make sure nothing digs in and walk in them making sure there comfy.

The Dan
Local

Post by The Dan » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:21 pm

scar tissue mate, u gotta build it up

Nine Mile Point
Grommet

Post by Nine Mile Point » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:42 pm

dammit__01 wrote:next time try the fins on, make sure nothing digs in and walk in them making sure there comfy.
they are comfortable when im not in the water, just they rub away

Lachy13

Post by Lachy13 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:05 pm

ye ai experienecd this for ages with my techs and it never went away and when i wore flipper socks they just sled down and it still rubbed i hav jst purchased teh new winchester stealths which are bit better but not much aka i strill gfet out of the water with mildly bleeding ankle area

goldfish
Grommet

Post by goldfish » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:06 pm

yeh, everytime i get a new pair of fins i get cramps in my feet. can be the exact same design..... yet it still happens. feet have a mind of their own. but yeh, with the cuts try a pair of the wettie fin socks! good luck!!

buie

Post by buie » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:17 pm

get a pair of PODS...not as good power as churchies but dont cut up ya feet at all... few years back up at snapper / dbah had massive ulcers in my ankles until i lost a fin at kirra...got a pair of PODS in byron two days later and the ulcers were gone by time i got home about a week later, still surfing every day...i also just got back from two months on indo and didnt have any trouble with fins over there....using PODS...except for loosing a few...and no...i dont work for them

--++sunstroke++--
Owl status

Post by --++sunstroke++-- » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:26 pm

The Dan wrote:scar tissue
Sounds like a good title for a song :arrow: :roll:

Get proper neopreme booties

chopescahrger
regular

Post by chopescahrger » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:03 am

i had a pair of churchies i bought over in hawaii last year
after about a month when my foot adjusted to it
they were absolotly perfect i didnt get one cut ur blister
they fit my foot perfect and didnt move around at all when i kicked
i think u just have to wear fins in for a litle while b4 they get
adjusted to ure foot

bringbackmacca
regular

Post by bringbackmacca » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:48 am

takes time. took me about 1 month using churchies before i didnt get blisters.

descendant
Grommet

Post by descendant » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:32 am

water temp effects them thats why you get it in summer cos the water is warmer. you gotta get fins that fit your feet not just cos they are cool or whatever, try a whole bunch on and get the ones that are most comfy. you can also glue some excess neoprene (wettie stuff) around the top of your fin and it will limit the rubbage.

peace

yanks r us
charger

Post by yanks r us » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:48 am

yeh have it when u first get new fins cuz the skin has to get use to it, so i gues sits the same with your new ones. unless of course its really uncomfortable an shi* then thats ur problem.

Nick-W
barnacle

Post by Nick-W » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:04 am

Just those small fin socks with the heel cut away are great. a bandaid underneath with some elastoplast at first, then once it heals a bit go out in just the socks and fins.
I think any boog that has been out multiple times in a summer week has got these ulcers.

billy
regular

Post by billy » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:38 pm

The Dan wrote:scar tissue mate, u gotta build it up
yep once the skin has blistered and healed so many times over and over you'll be left with scarred lumps on your feet, just gotta wait it out and enjoy the pain

wingnut72
regular

Post by wingnut72 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:03 pm

I wear a pair of manta blades i got way back in 91 or 92. i hate wearing socks with them but still get blisters on 2 of my toes in each flipper. i tape them up (using the pic below) before going for a surf and it does the job.

mind you im thinking of getting a new pair of flippers so what do you peeps recommend. i originally had churchies when i started in '90 but went to the blades as they didnt cut my feet up as much as the churchies and were heaps softer in rubber and comfort.

dammit__01
Owl status

Post by dammit__01 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:09 pm

quck Q. am i the only one who moulds there fins? e.g. heats them up and moulds them to my foot? makes them alot more comfy, i never get cramps and i never get cuts.

GAV!N
regular

Post by GAV!N » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:32 pm

all my fins have given me decent cuts and ulcers until i got churchills, since then i've never had a problem, if you cant find a pair that dont cut, i'd suggest getting flipper socks that go under your fins, you can get one's that are like anklet type socks, so you cant really see them, but they'll cover the parts that are getting cut up

Nick-W
barnacle

Post by Nick-W » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:49 pm

WIngnut, I had blades for a bit, underrated i would say. Since then I've had a few different types of fin and last summer thought i would road test the churchill, see what the hype was about.
I don't like them as much as the Blades, too little bang for your buck. The stealths on the other hand, thats my next pair. I wore a mates and they are far more comfortable than anything i have tried and cost half the price of curchills.