Technique in onshore

Tribal discussions for bodyboarders only.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, sandonpoint, Forum Moderators

enuenu

Technique in onshore

Post by enuenu » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:18 pm

I'm after some technique advice. After surfing standup all my life I've switched to bodyboarding for a while. I've got a nice new Science Mike Stewart board and a set of Da Fins I already had for bodysurfing. I've been out every day since I bought the board. I'm quite unfit at the moment and almost 50. I'm recovering from back injuries and two surgeries, That's three surfs on a BB now. Great to be back in the water after 9 months out.

Today I was out in solid 3ft - 4ft conditions, wind was onshore about 10 knots+ I noticed when catching crumbling waves from in the soup, I would get a big push on my fins from the foam. This impact was really bending my ankles and knees. I tried rolling into a few sets from in the soup as they were crumbling. When the foam hit my fins it really jacked up my ankles. I couldn't work out whether to point my toes to the sky or try and bury them.

When I paddled in the last stretch to the beach to do a walk around, I wanted to catch a broken wave in. The effect was the same. My ankles and knees got belted when the foam hit me from behind because of the impact of the fast moving foam on my fins.

All this has made me want to try to BB without fins.

Maybe it's just a matter of paddling faster with my arms at take off when in broken or crumbling waves? Are my Da Fins too big in area, presenting too much area to the wave as the soup hits me from behind? I'm still getting used to the fact I don't have the paddling speed I had on my 6'9" surfboard. It's all new but a challenge I am enjoying.

Any tips appreciated.

shinsonsurf

Re: Technique in onshore

Post by shinsonsurf » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:11 pm

Wow just found this gem of a bodyboarding journey. No idea if you're still active as its been 5 years. From my personal experience body boarding without fins is the best. Much more comfort and makes the waves feel more daunting. In the gnarly sendy way. Hope is all well with you. Peace

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Re: Technique in onshore

Post by Beanpole » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:25 am

Good to see someone postinginhere
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?