i am a kook

Tribal discussions for bodyboarders only.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, sandonpoint, Forum Moderators

marcus
Owl status

i am a kook

Post by marcus » Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:37 pm

just responding to some people that get offended when i talk about how i dont like spins, or i talk about my favourite surf spot.
just letting you all know im a kook, i cant surf small waves to save my life, i have a really unco small wave style, i wear glasses and sometimes read books.
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

prepare
regular

Post by prepare » Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:19 pm

i wear glasses

i read a shit load of books....for fun

and i to have no small wave style that i know about

Fun9RY

Post by Fun9RY » Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:49 pm

OMG YOU KOOKS!!!!

As if. Spins are pussy move - GO BIG!!

marty
barnacle

Post by marty » Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:47 pm

i dont like spins either. rather do a nice carve/cutty

also surf better when it starts to get biggeer aswell

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:06 pm

yeah i just got to thinking that some of my posts could make me seem like im trying to be superhardcore or up myself or something, so just wanted to say i actually dont think im that good at normal wave surfing, just had alot of weird shit happen in the waves i thought would be interesting to realsurf people.
trust me, in crappy waves im as kooky as anyone, copped alot of crap in cronulla so i decided as a kid to focus on the big stuff to prove the guys wrong, sometimes i get a bit passionate about power surfing, and all that"soul" surfer stuff.
so just clearing things up, and putting my perspective out there.
hope i havent seemed like too much of a wanker.
cheers
marcus
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

WiNzA
charger

Post by WiNzA » Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:14 pm

well now that u cleared that 1 up..................
it isnt always the fastest or the biggest, rather the most determined

"Stay happy and everything will be perfectly all right"... Jack Norris

marty
barnacle

Post by marty » Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:39 pm

..............who here actually competes in comps? regularly? or has ever competed in a comp?

ive never competed personally....

mattyhammer

Post by mattyhammer » Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:59 am

On the comp scene I've done a couple of comps but really never liked it. I won the lid section of the local Pippi Beach Surf Comp in Yamba one time - scored a pushy out of it!! But apart from that just a few ones at Ballina and Port Mac. Like I said never really enjoyed it, just like the surfing with mates thing. As I am in the Defence Force, time of recent to go surfing is limited so technical moves are not really there but usually maintain enough skills to steer through most pits and punch a decent bit of air when the opportunity arises. Just do it for myself, not to showboat. I don't really think you can call anyone a kook unless they gloat about their style when they really are shit. If someone is new but admits it, they are just inexperienced and need encouragement. But if you find it necessary to bag someone on their weaknesses, you really are just compensating for something...
Do it because you love it, not because you think someone will rate you because of it!!

stoive
barnacle

Post by stoive » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:54 am

I've been in SBC a couple of times but never really taken it too seriously.

rex
regular

Post by rex » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:56 pm

i do the endless comps in cronulla and mystics. Its a non-profit organisation and we take turns in judging and score evenly. Best 60 bucks i've spent (registration)
the guy that runs it (John Pyne) competes in the opens as well. If you surf in cronulla or mystics you might of seen him in speedos and a blue rashie

heefcoate
Local

Post by heefcoate » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:27 pm

spin to win!

sunny
Grommet

Post by sunny » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:40 pm

so i decided as a kid to focus on the big stuff to prove the guys wrong
thats cool! small waves suck anyway. and from what ive read, heard and seen, thats the attitude heaps of kids in nulla have yeh? it makes sense having waves like island and solander so close that ppl who surf there are going to have more focus on bottom turning into heaving pits, rather than being able to milk small waves with good style.

personally im the opposite, i surf mostly around n.beaches and therefore am in weaker con's so my surfin reflects that. im fine in the small stuff, like being able to draw lines to get more speed and spin n bflip off a ripple in a bathtub... but when it comes to anything 6ft+ and heavy, i struggle so much.. i actually shy away from testing myself in those conditions due to the fear of my inability to handle it. im talkin about scooping into a slab and setting a good line without bogging or sliding out haha... which i think is fkn ridiculous as a bodyboarder - coz that's where we should be best at and most focused on!

so marcus ur defin not a kook in my eyes champ. surfin more powerful waves is an art and one in which is much more challenging and difficult than spinning like a top in poo surf.

marty
barnacle

Post by marty » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:18 pm

do you and your mates all wear your sick endless rashies when your surfing rex?

chopescahrger
regular

Post by chopescahrger » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:53 pm

fu(kin toolie

skwah
Grommet

Post by skwah » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:12 pm

edit...wrong topic
Last edited by skwah on Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rex
regular

Post by rex » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:43 pm

marty wrote:do you and your mates all wear your sick endless rashies when your surfing rex?
when its boardies weather yes

stoive
barnacle

Post by stoive » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:05 pm

I win

rex
regular

Post by rex » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:14 pm

stoive wrote:I win
???? why do u win?