WST > 2EVENTS CANNED

Tribal discussions for bodyboarders only.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, sandonpoint, Forum Moderators

marty
barnacle

WST > 2EVENTS CANNED

Post by marty » Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:53 pm

Whats going on... The super tour was made out to be the beez neez of bodyboarding and this year the first 2 events have been canned.
First Chopes gets called, and now Chile is off.
Whats the deal....?

Means first event is Island, with a $35000 purse up for grabs ($15000 more then last year). Cant wait-island comp is always insane, plus during the comp (and the waiting period) over the last few years got the best surfs of my life.

Go Coop's for island challenge 04!

christian
regular

Post by christian » Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:15 pm

yes the island comp should be very very good :D

mattyhammer

Post by mattyhammer » Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:22 am

Dudes, I wrote a concerning email to Mark Fordham about this issue after the chopes cancellation and he responded with a great email outlining the major reasons for it. The bottom line is 'sponsorship'. If they can't get the funds together for the comp then it simply can't go ahead, especially at isolated breaks like chopes. He is obviously distraught over it and ever apologetic but basically is out of his hands. They are currently working on sponsorship deals so hopefully next year will be all hands on deck. So if everyone wants these comps to go ahead, then make sure you support bodyboarding companies. Billabong, etc. give some assistance to bodyboarding but are mainly concerned with the standups, so keep supporting local bodyboarding brands, so they can support our comps!!

streetdaddy
Local

Post by streetdaddy » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:32 am

That's really unfortunate. If only the big companies would see the potential of body boarding :( They should tour alongside the WCT competing for even money and charging the same crazy breaks. Seems only fair... So who agrees with me then?
Last edited by streetdaddy on Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lithium

tool

Post by lithium » Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:15 am

"streetdaddy" mate u r an absolute tool. after reading all the posts about the unfortunate loss of don's jack, and the streaming in of posts about the tolerance and humanity and genoristy that this man shows, reading your worthless, ignorant post annoyed me so much that i registered just to say this. ur a fool. who cares what people are interested in. its weird that as soon as someone gets in the water with a certain type of board that they are looked at as a different person by some people. doesnt make sense. its an exhausted topic but u would think the issue today is showing respect and condolences.

streetdaddy
Local

Post by streetdaddy » Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:18 pm

Your post alerted me to the news and I'm deeply saddened by it. Brings us all together to support Don in this difficult time.

I'm sorry if my idea offended you, maybe bodyboarders and standups were never meant to be friends...

Hecko
regular

2EVENTS CANNED

Post by Hecko » Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:31 pm

I dont know about surfers/bodyboarders not meant to get along....

I know there have been, and will continue to be sponsorship problems with contests, but it would be nice if exotic places that have been canned, that some a little less exotic could be added. The box re example, and especially seeing how Human are throwing some decent dollars at the SIC, I dont see why they wouldn't be interested in another Oz event. Or am I just getting greedy wanting to see the pros do there thing??? :D