Most Underrated Beach/Break On The Beaches

Tribal discussions for bodyboarders only.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, sandonpoint, Forum Moderators

mm
Grommet

Post by mm » Mon May 09, 2005 11:39 pm

One Mile Point wrote:I KNOW THIS AINT ON NORTHERN BEACHES but i have to say one mile beachies on low tide are awesome even gale force onshore they are good barrels.

I like whale beach got sum good beachies
Do you ever shut up about One Mile Beach/Box Beach? Nobody cares and nobody thinks they're that good except for you.

blake_reb

Post by blake_reb » Tue May 10, 2005 12:00 am

Have to say South Narra.

On its day you can get some insane top to bottom pits that are heavier than any other beach break I've ever surfed!!

Couple of sessions that come to mind include (Sorry this is a super long post!!!):

That huge swell from a year or 2 ago. Checked it in morning on recommendations but looked like its usual close out self in big - huge swells. Went and surfed DY Pt for bout 3 hours which was throwing hell perfect 6' kegs but insanely crowded as swell was east so crowd wasn't distributed from first rock through.

Got a call as soon as I was out of the water to say that sth narra was like BIG pipe and to bring my camera.
Got there and met mate...witnessed some crazy surfer take a crazy drop where his tail slid out a bit, recovered just in time to dodge lip on a barrel that was prob 2 n half times overhead, pull in for bout 3 secs then this hell section just broke way ahead so wrote him off and started watchin next wave. Next thing I knew the small crowd (As the place doesn't have the rep other spots do up there) went berko as the wave did a super huge spit with the surfer emerging after the mist had cleared. All in all bout a 6 - 7 second barrel. There was only 2 surfers out who were just going berko!!!! (Found out they were Ozzie Wright and Zahn Foxton - both pro surfers). Just went fuck it this a once in decade chance and suited up against my mates recommendations. Ran about 300 metres up the beach as those who have surfed it know there is a hell rip with true top - bottom barrels and 2 other random guys joined me for the paddle out. My arms started cramping up from my previous surf but I had the sensation that a huge set was approaching and that I had to keep paddling as hard as I could. As I came over a wave a hell set feathered up outside. Just went fuck it and dug in. My arms were a mess and causing hell pain but didn't wanna cop these waves on the head. Duckdived first one, just made it, then next one bigger and further out, duckdived as lip was pitchin. Just made it out of the lips pull nearly goin back over, then next one even bigger and further out. Thought about just giving up and letting it drag me back to shore but you gotta do what you gotta do and I dug the hardest I've ever dug in the surf and made it under as the this massive wave sent a huge lip over the top of me. Came up and clear.
Took a rest way out the back and noticed that the other guys were missing. They told me later that they had both been hit by the set as they couldn't keep up and had been washed literally to shore. They decided to sit the sesh out and watch.
Paddled down to where I thought the takeoff was as the surfers had caught waves and were struggling to get back out. Set came and I was fairly close to copping them on the head. The surfers started yelling. Couldn't hear what they were saying but I just paddled bit deeper (Which was way out to sea)for the remainder of the set and tried to paddle into one. Thing sucked real hard and was massive. Ballsed out as I was still buggered and prob too deep to make it. Watched from behind as the wave barrelled then massive spit and then washed surfers down the beach right next to shore.
Next set came (I was way out to sea) paddled and got it. It was one of those waves where just bottom turning is hard. Just went straight down, pulled hard on the rail as the lip pitched out over me. It was massive and I was already shitting bricks before this section broke ahead and kinda warped. Thought I was a goneuh. It opened up again, continued through the barrel and came out with the spit. One of the surfers went happy berko before being washed into the beach by my wave.
Turned around to paddle back out and this massive top-bottom closeout exploded. Just thought fuck it, ran back up the beach to where I originally paddled out and did it again for 3 more waves (That's all you need when its like that).
My mate was shooting photos from the beach and said he had some awesome shots but I lost the film a week later on Sth Coast trip where I also got hell photos around the Bawley area....Devoed!!!! There is one shot of the sesh in an advertisement in an old Surfing Life. Not sure which one as it was thrown out by some fool in my household!!!!! Its got a sequence of Ozzie Wright on a shorter whitewashy one but still decent size.

Be stoked to hear from anyone who witnessed this day or knows what mag the advertisement was in....or who found me film down at Bawley

Another one was this super sucky day. Solid 5 foot breaking unusual for the place. Paddled out into some super sucky lefts which Kelly Slater and co were surfing. I didnt realise it was him til we got out. I was just getting flogged on the booger as they were super hard to paddle into cos of the suck. The same bank then started throwing out these even suckier super fast rights which noone was making look rideable except Kelly. All others just made it look like closeout. This one freak 7 footer came through which Kelly airdropped into that actually dropped off the edge of the bank leavin actual sand at the base of the wave and threw out a super thick lip. Kelly made the drop pulled in and went out of view but came up later when the wave closed out down the line. I've never seen a wave drop that far off the edge of a bank like that even at The Zone or Island. I pretty much gave up and just watched Kelly. As I ran up the beach I watched Kelly fly through this right barrel. The guys a total freak!!!!!

Jamoe
Local

Post by Jamoe » Tue May 10, 2005 8:13 am

mm wrote:
One Mile Point wrote:I KNOW THIS AINT ON NORTHERN BEACHES but i have to say one mile beachies on low tide are awesome even gale force onshore they are good barrels.

I like whale beach got sum good beachies
Do you ever shut up about One Mile Beach/Box Beach? Nobody cares and nobody thinks they're that good except for you.
FARRK I totally agree! about time someone pointed that out, you'd think one mile is the equivalent of pipeline or something!

oh and most underrated would have to be sth whaley or Mid Palmy

halfy
Local
Location: Don't you think you've had a little too much to drink

Post by halfy » Tue May 10, 2005 4:21 pm

i would have to say that whale beach, to me, is the most underrated break on the northern beaches purly becuase when theres some swell u can surf pretty much every peak along the beach and most of the time the crowd is small

SpoNgeR_69
regular

Post by SpoNgeR_69 » Wed May 11, 2005 9:34 pm

actually stuff dee why corner like i said before.....just remembered south narra...thanks to that heaps small post.....anyway...sth narra when its on is awesome and is mostly dominated by boogers ay...even better
I would surf too if i couldnt bodyboard

timmy c

Post by timmy c » Fri May 13, 2005 4:20 pm

Alley Rip Bowl at Cronulla has to be the most underrated beachbreak, ive surfed there many a time and getting nice clean wedge barrels

Meataxe
barnacle

Post by Meataxe » Fri May 13, 2005 4:32 pm

Bungan, cept your calves'll moan afterward

Meataxe
barnacle

Post by Meataxe » Fri May 13, 2005 4:33 pm

Jaysus Blake, yah think ppl wanna read all that dribble? bit o self control wouldn't go astray

sandonpoint

Post by sandonpoint » Fri May 13, 2005 5:13 pm

Meataxe wrote:Jaysus Blake, yah think ppl wanna read all that dribble? bit o self control wouldn't go astray
no i liked it, im always all ears for surf stories thats why i love the latest issue of riptide. im sure it beats any of your stories go smoke your weed

"turn the fear of the unknown into the exictement of the potential"

Kashy
regular

Post by Kashy » Fri May 13, 2005 6:09 pm

well said Sandon!
HaVe A Nice DaY ... ;)

MuRfy
Grommet

yes!

Post by MuRfy » Fri May 13, 2005 6:43 pm

i no joke rekon every1 looks at queensie on a day and sais that it
can fuck off...it can produce some grade a banks which can really boost wave and send u on ur way!...also there is a spot in freshie on the southern side ..u need rough 4 footers to come through and the swell to come from the north. + relatively a light or no offshore meets it best...but it is sweet it can produce a wave which goes 10-20 metres along the side of freshie but is a mad wave fellaz!..+ on a big gud clean day freshie itself can have golden waves..every1 rights it off....

murfy
stand up and be counted, lie down and get shacked!

JaxonB
regular

Post by JaxonB » Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:14 pm

id vote south narra fo sho :twisted: