PE or PP???

Tribal discussions for bodyboarders only.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, sandonpoint, Forum Moderators

PP or PE?

PE
38%
PP
62%

Total votes: 34

GCLuke
regular

Post by GCLuke » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:51 pm

Coops@DY wrote:
GCLuke wrote:Im really confused :?

When i ordered my custom unknown, i got Polypropylene core, so that means i have PP?

I find my board very flexible compared to my friends NMD's and 4plays and i always thought i got a PE board. Anyone help me out?
Yep you have a PP core. Despite what people say, after a while it has great flex and projection.

Bodyboarding since 89: Not sure about your comments on Extruded PP vs Beaded PP. Mike Stewart seems to think other wise.
Cheers, PP all the way :lol: :P

Bodyboarder-sicne-1989
Local
Location: any of the heavy NSW reefs, depends where the swell hits. shark island/southern reefs mostly

Post by Bodyboarder-sicne-1989 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:46 pm

mike stewart lives in a place where you surf in winter in boardies. and of course his opinion is going to be in favour of him selling his own range of boards. im sure a EXPP board will perform in hawaii cause of the heat factor. but BPP comes in different densities. Wingnut(my mate Adam Smith, one a M.S's old apprentices) used to get 2 cores and combine them when he shaped his boards, he would get the more dence stiff core, cut the nose off it on a bevelled angle just above the elbow and replace it with the less dence more flexible core then shape it and put it together.

plus a BPP core will stay stiff for a year or two if you dont work it in (Kneel on it at different points and over flex it) with out the weight or elbow dents or creases. my bords a 2002 model and its only just starting to get too flexiable out at shark island when its over 4-6 feet. anything else, and its fine.

My " comments" on cores are FACTS about foam not my OPINION.

do you have flex tip stringers in your boards? im yet to surf a flex tip.

P.S. mike stewart used to shred on old PE flexi boards,these days he surfs nowhere near as good plus like others, his style and board posture suffers from stiff syndrome. he surfed bad at the 2004 S.I.C.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:48 pm

Yeah i have the flex tip stringer on my newest board. It has the most flex out of any PP board i have had. The deck and slick are creased after only a month, but the core (Pactiv 1.9pcf Polypropylene) feels in prefect shape now. Good balance of flex, stiffness and projection.

boogieboy

Post by boogieboy » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:03 pm

pe is definatly better escpeacilly in winter when most of the sweel is around.. and if ur surfing heavy reefs u need to beable to sccop and u cant sccop aswell when ur using a pp board its to stiff and ull prbly get liped but with pe the board is much more flexy and ull be keged in no time :D

lambert
barnacle

Post by lambert » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:28 pm

i got a pp double stringer and mesh and it rides a treat, flex wise that is, easy to scoop, everybody on this forum will have a different opinion, EVERYBODY, and ur the only one that counts so unless u have PERSONAL experience you will never now, just like drugs, some pppl rock on them and other get welll and trully messed on the same drug

Bodyboarder-sicne-1989
Local
Location: any of the heavy NSW reefs, depends where the swell hits. shark island/southern reefs mostly

Post by Bodyboarder-sicne-1989 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:51 pm

how much play would you say that a flex tip can produce? im used to boards, that if you really give it to them it will play atleast 5-8 inches from its original form to full flex point, but only in waves over 6 feet out island or other really sucky reefs. just wondering if anybody would know if a flex tip in a EX PP core could produce as much play? or would i need to get PE with mesh?

thickfreakness
Grommet

Post by thickfreakness » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:23 am

just out of curiousity, do you guys know what guys like mitch and winnie use? do they usually use PE or PP? id be interested to see if the type of core used corresponds to their style of surfing, e.g does the core they use, whatever it may be, is that reflected in how they boost or whether they surf in the pocket more etc etc

stoive
barnacle

Post by stoive » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:23 pm

Dow 200 I think, lightweight Dow. Don't get many stock boards made out of it, I think the 4play element last year had it?

jonisnumber1
Grommet

Post by jonisnumber1 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:27 pm

pp core, double stringer and mesh is WAYYY overkill. my mate has a board with all that and its like riding a super light peice of wood.

lambert
barnacle

Post by lambert » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:02 pm

yeah what model? mine has perfect flex imo, good balance of speed and manourverability

Bodyboarder-sicne-1989
Local

Post by Bodyboarder-sicne-1989 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:26 am

now before you reply and tell me that the info in this link contradicts my previous post, make sure you read all of it carefully...

http://www.benseverson.com/index.php/materials

lambert
barnacle

Post by lambert » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:49 pm

pp is stiffer correct? well it is less dense then pe so i dont get it :cry:

stoive
barnacle

Post by stoive » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:29 pm

their different materials

lambert
barnacle

Post by lambert » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:44 pm

roger that stevie mate, ty, very confusing, haha not really but i will stick with funkshen anyway