Whats in a fish?

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

moya
regular

Whats in a fish?

Post by moya » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:00 pm

Please excuse my ignorance and lazziness. I am interested in your opinions more than searchng the web for random reviews anyhow.
What are the technical characteristics of a fish? In design AND in performance.
I ask as, im about 70kg and my second board is a DHD which was made for Luke Egan. The board is 6'4" x 19" x 2.5".
It goes great, picks up waves like a mal, bangs the lip and "feels " like youve hit a lip. It does big strong driving turns and goes great in all conditions.
Take into consideration Luke must be about 90kg+ and this would be his performance board and i am 70kg would this be more like a fish to me?
my usual board is 6'2" x18.3/8x2.2/8 and goes great in anything with form and a wall but as you would imagine notso in fuller waves.
The DHD looks pretty well the same shape as the smaller board however just a bit thicker a bit longer and a bit wider. It still has the same lines and a bit less rocker.
My question - Will a blown up version of a performance shortboard be quite similar to a fish or do they perform way differently?

the truth

Post by the truth » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:18 pm

fish boards are generally ridden 3-5 inches shorter, 1-2 inches wider & up to an inch thicker than you standard shortboard.

i ride JS luke egan models for my standard boards (6'5 x 18 3/4 x 2 1/2). I'm 6'4 & 90kg ... my fish is 6'0 x 20 1/2 x 2 5/8 ... it's a personal thing that is dependant on size, weight & ability i guess.

bro
Local

Post by bro » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:22 pm

It also depends on your definition of a "fish"
Are you talking a true fish ie Skipp Frye or a modern fish or a hydrid like a tombstone, slingshot etc etc?

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:41 pm

The way you turn on a fish is also different compared to a classic thruster.
On a fish you have a more even didtribution of weight, with front foot and back foot being equal and the weight is transferred from rail to rail.
On a classic thruster, its all about compression and unweighting. ie much more back foot than a fish. You put more weight on the back foot pushing in to the turn, with the weight coming on to the front foot as you come out of the turn.

moya
regular

Post by moya » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:45 pm

Mister Truth - Would you describe how your JS board rides, for my files.
I am tossing up between JS and LSD
I know JS shaped loads of DHD's boards early on and probably even the one im riding ( its 3yr old and is almost dead, i want something similar) as Luke preferred his shapes. Am currently on an LSD and it is really sweet in the right conditions and have heard good things. Im pretty confident he will shape a nice board with the same sort of dimensions and bonus is i can go talk to him etc

whitey
regular

Post by whitey » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:59 pm

I just re shaped my 5'11 shortboard into a fish, I cut into the tail to about the 1ft mark making a 6 inch wide swallow, cutting off the middle fin. The tail is a bit over an inch thick. I just re glassed it and took it for its first surf this morning, it rips. (thew nose was a little wider than most thrusters too.
.Whitey.

the truth

Post by the truth » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:01 am

moya wrote:Mister Truth - Would you describe how your JS board rides, for my files.
I am tossing up between JS and LSD
I know JS shaped loads of DHD's boards early on and probably even the one im riding ( its 3yr old and is almost dead, i want something similar) as Luke preferred his shapes. Am currently on an LSD and it is really sweet in the right conditions and have heard good things. Im pretty confident he will shape a nice board with the same sort of dimensions and bonus is i can go talk to him etc
no probs, tiger ... i have had 8 or 9 JS's now & they are without a doubt the best shapes i have ridden. i usually ride my curretn shortboard in all conditions up to 6 foot ... ithe latest board i got with a swallow for a bit of extra hold when it gets larger ... i previously had a rounded square, but found that it was too 'slidey' in the juice.

they boards are very responsive & fast, yet very forgiving if you are having a 'kooky' day ...

do yourself a favour & give a JS a try ...

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:06 am

I suspect a fish will ride more horizontally than vertically compared to a standard thruster. My egg does that and has similar rail lines to a fish. You'll surf it completely differently, but it'll suit some waves and some surfers better than a standard shortboard. So, a fish will surf a lot different to an overfoamed shortboard.

whitey
regular

Post by whitey » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:52 am

wanto wrote:
whitey wrote:I just re shaped my 5'11 shortboard into a fish
GOLD!
You should have seen the look on my dads face when he arrived home from work to see me hacking through the stringer on my board, he almost passed out.
.Whitey.

moya
regular

Post by moya » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:50 pm

mister truth
What shape is the bottom?

the truth

Post by the truth » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:18 am

moya wrote:mister truth
What shape is the bottom?
enough of this 'mister' stuff ... you can call me 'The' ...

the bottom is a double concave.