Worried about a ding

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

FishStick
Local

Worried about a ding

Post by FishStick » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:49 pm

I had a bit of a collision the other day and didn't notice that my board had a big crack in the rail up at the nose until after I got out of the water.

I cleaned it up and let it dry and then did a quick ding job on it as I was out camping. I had to repeat this job again when I got back as some of the glass had delaminated a bit so I cut that out let it dry again and patched that up.

Now along the bottom of the nose I can push the glass slightly and hear the foam creak a little, is my nose going bust? How can I tell if I didn't get all the water out? Or is the nose always so fragile that you can do slight pressure dings just with your fingers? I've never had a large ding near the nose so usually don't pay much attention to the strength of the glass around that area but when you get paranoid you start to worry about things that are quite normal.

Considering I'm out of work at the moment I don't want to risk losing my nose as a new board or big fix is not in my budget at the moment.

The glass job on this stick is rather light as I've put my foot through it a few times when going over the falls so maybe the squeezability of the nose is normal?

Over the last few weeks I've seen several surfers surfing nose-less boards patched up with tape and I'm worried that will be me soon.

tubedude

Post by tubedude » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:41 pm

dings dont do shit to your board, or its performance,

FishStick
Local

Post by FishStick » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:01 pm

It's not the ding I'm worried about, that's been fixed, it's that the nose feels all soft now and I was wondering if that was a reason to worry as I'm guessing a soft nose won't like getting pounded by a large wave. So is the nose alright or would other warning signs show up if it was really that bad?

seedy
regular

Post by seedy » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:38 am

smack ya self in da head a few times and test it out numnuts
last laugh's on the smartarse

Jessep
Local

Post by Jessep » Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:49 am

you could of just got a really soft blank does it do it anywhere else in the board is it new?

big_spender
regular

Post by big_spender » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:32 am

im not paraniod, who says i am?