here is your chance to send a South Australian to his death

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

streetdaddy
Local

here is your chance to send a South Australian to his death

Post by streetdaddy » Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:50 pm

I'm gonna be in Sydney this weekend for a few days after a Thu/Fri conference at UTS... at this stage I'm only gonna bring one board, probably a shorty since I probably won't know where to go for the real juice... I'll have a hire car and all saturday and sunday to hunt waves... any hints on which way I should be heading? Im not a kook, but Im not a hardcore either... E.g. don't send me to kiddy waves, but then don't send me to mackin 6-8 foot Deadmans either... :D Somewhere in between the two would be nice! Just seems like so many places to choose from I don't know where to start :roll:

tubedude

Post by tubedude » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:24 pm

well there is a line of 3 reefs and deadman is furthest out and to the south. the end reef is a soft cockanitus wave and the wave in between is just nice:D real nice barrels, hectic take off bu after the take off there is a real nice barrel you can get an link up with the bower if your lucky. im not telling you where it is but get a road map and find shelly beach near manly and you'll be close :D
IM NOT GONA BE ANYWHERE NEAR SYDNEY IM GONA BE UP NORTH PULLING INTO MONSTER HAYDE :roll: :wink: :P NS REEF PITS...MMMMMMMMMM:p

streetdaddy
Local

Post by streetdaddy » Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:59 pm

excellent work td, I've sketched up my own map based on your instructions. my orange crayon snapped while I was trying to draw myself in the barrel at deadmans (i figured this would help keep me focussed on the search) so I might get the reefs wrong... wish me luck

Gym_Slu_t

warning

Post by Gym_Slu_t » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:21 pm

streetdaddy..
if your planning to surf the deadmans,winki and bower stretch your better expect crowds in excess of 20,000. Not at the Deadmans end, only chargers out there, but as you pass through winki and bower expect to be dropped in on..especially by people like me...although i wont be there (i am away up north also)
just warning you in advance :lol:

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:32 pm

Get out of town Streetdaddy, head Sth 2-3hrs. The world is your oyster.

tubedude

Post by tubedude » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:33 pm

by the way they don't call it deadmans for nothing mate, it break very close to very large boulders and you will get pulled towards winki but if you mkae it to winki prpare your self for a dose of rockrash. stick to winki, you' find it easy!

streetdaddy
Local

Post by streetdaddy » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:43 pm

will a springy suffice for the south coast this time of year? its that or a 4x3 steamer...

Nikko
regular

Have car then travel

Post by Nikko » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:13 am

I'm with the tiger man, go south and get away from the city slickers.
You got wheels and the wetty should do ya if ya from SA.
"No matter what happens; it will always be alright".

zzz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by zzz » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:31 am

SD - I agree going south is the best chance for clean waves but there's a lot of choice and with limited time and little knowledge of the area's you could easily frustrate yourself - but if you find a guide or plan your trip around the weather/swell conditions and you do have the two days you'll score well.

If you're keen to try some of the Sydney waves here's a couple of comments.

* If there's ok size SE->NE swell the bower/wink/deadies stretch works well (needs a good period for the SE to wrap in properly though) - on a weekend and working its very crowded but you'll manage to get a wave at bower, and its a fairly soft wave. Wink has a tighter takeoff and is a bit trickier so less likely to get a wave out there in a crowd. I don't really consider deadies a wave ... its just madness and not usually too crowded.
Easiest entry to bower is to paddle out from shelly beach and around.

If its working and you're used to surfing any kind of reef break then its worth a look because its such a well known wave.

* Curl Curl is a good swell indicator and catches most swell and works even when its small but doesn't hold good swell. If the swell is large and coming in more from the south head one beach north to Dee Why and you'll find waves somewhere along the stretch there. If its coming from the North head south to the Manly/Bower stretch.

* If its 4' or less then you'll get an ok wave at curly itself. There's quite a few peaks along the stretch. The north end seems to hold better in south swells of late.

* Driving further north on the trek to palm beach pull into the different beaches - there's plenty to choose from and as you get further north it gets less crowded. Long Reef (north end of the Dee Why stretch of beach) often has a wave either on the beach or on the reef and usually isn't too badly crowded. The middle of Dee Why beach (near 'the pole') is also usually not too crowded.

Watch out for break-ins in Sydney - don't leave valuables in the car - if you do - hide them (e.g. in spare tyre well).

Don't worry too much about crowds - unless the surf's epic and its early morning there's a fair chance most of them are non-locals and/or kooks. Plus you're only here for the weekend so make the most of it.
"Stay happy and everything will be perfectly all right"... Jack Norris

tubedude

Post by tubedude » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:59 am

your a fucknut wanto sum guy just wants to come get a few good waves for a weekend and wont be coming back, just let him have a few.
PS: Collaroy is shithouse

zzz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by zzz » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:57 pm

looks like you might have scored epicly SD. If the swell comes through as per what the bouys are showing tonight then not many places will be holding it but you'll be able to get a good look at the action.

Head to bower - paddle out from shelly its a pretty safe channel if you stay wide and you'll get a close up of the action and might even snag a wide set wave if you feel up to it. Or alternately just watch from the cliff - you'll get to see deadies, wink and bow in proper action.
"Stay happy and everything will be perfectly all right"... Jack Norris

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:07 am

Ironically enough, due to the nasty storm swell, Collaroy may be one of the few rideable places today. But the water will be filthy.

streetdaddy
Local

Post by streetdaddy » Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:30 pm

what a fkg idiot I am! I got to Sydney only to discover that my license expired on wednesday... so no hire car for me :( what with the crap weather and abundance of footy meatheads filling the streets I decided to change my flight and run home like the nancy boy I am... at least it's sunny down here in SA :roll:

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:45 pm

oh man. damn you missed it.
come out next time ok, place on the couch for you.
bombies have been clearing my addrenalin pathways today.wooooohoooooo. still buzzing.
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

One Mile Point
Snowy McAllister

Post by One Mile Point » Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:01 pm

ahhhh during that storm i waited and an hour b4 dark i scored 6foot sets jacking to 10ft wedge barrels

moneyman
barnacle

Post by moneyman » Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:19 pm

bull...shit
Ka ChInG !!!!!