post your modern day sickness

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Thud
Duke Status

Re: post your modern day sickness

Post by Thud » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:09 am

Ghost:

The design that JJF rode to his (second) 2017 World Title! The Ghost is a possibly the first truly High Performance board that works great for all levels of surfer and could be considered a one-board quiver for any surf trip with decent to good waves on the menu.

A super versatile board, it has become one of JJF's favorites for all kinds of surf (Margaret River winner, Bells Ollie Oop, J-Bay carves, and even head-high Trestles) and a go-to for many surfers around the world.

Originally designed for performance in hollower, more powerful types of waves, the Ghost has proven to be great for reef breaks, dumpy beachies, and also excels in point waves.

Based off of our Short Cut, The Ghost outline is more refined: it still has the wide point pushed a bit forward of center, but the nose area is kept down and the tail slightly pulled in to help it fit into a tighter curve.
The thickness is also pushed forward, which helps even more with getting you into waves easily, and we kept the tail and rails thinned out to help hold through barrels and turns at speed.

The rocker is med/low through the front half to get you into waves easily and pick up speed quickly. The rear end has plenty of rocker curve for turning control and a snappy responsiveness. Single concave runs through the entire bottom, with a double concave set inside, which equals speed and lift both on a rail and over flat spots while allowing for quick rail-to-rail transitions. The Ghost's combination of rocker and concave makes for high performance handling through a healthy mix of sensitivity and control.

Depending on what you want to ride it in we recommend you order your Ghosts anywhere from your height to 8" over, a 1/4" to 1/2" wider, and 1/8" to 3/8" thicker than your everyday shorty. Stock boards all have 5-fin set up.
Comes with a round tail, but we can custom make it with any tail you like.
Beanpole wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:34 pm
I grew up with Sikhs, Thudster.
Quoted from the book “A serendipitous life. Bean there, done that”

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:16 am

Thud, go up to your original post "let me guess. More foam up front than normal HPSB?" and read the post above it.
I'm not talking about the ghost.

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:11 am

It wasn’t a post to try to prove you wrong. I just wanted to post something on design about a board people love and seems to be the nexus of modern board design. The ambition is possibly a bit of chat and learning on HP design.
Beanpole wrote:

mario
Grommet

Post by mario » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:09 pm

This ones just under a year old and still looks new apart from the usual compressions . I was with the same shaper ( Warren Carey ) for a very long time and just felt the need to ride something different . After buying a few different brands I came accross a beat up chilli peri peri and instantly gelled with it . So shouted myself this for my birthday .5'10 stock dimensions but went with their strong + inegra cloth for the deck .

Wyre
Owl status

Post by Wyre » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:13 pm

Nice one mario. Bold colours! 😀

I just bought the twin to my Outer Island 6'1".

A 6'5" step up, which I'm hoping to get out in this swell a'coming.

Needs FCS 2 find though, which I don't have.

Any suggestions? Large, I reckon..
Sniff wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:46 am
I remember some wheelchair xylophonist getting all macho about how he liked to smash absolutely heaps of Weetbix before a hard day's roofing

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:16 pm

9 posts in 11 years.🤔
You're rushing things a bit, Mario.

😃👍
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:17 pm

Great feedback Mario
Beanpole wrote:

mario
Grommet

Post by mario » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:18 pm

Trev wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:16 pm
9 posts in 11 years.🤔

😃👍
Hmmm , you may be right . Any suggestions on how to slow down ? I`m never the greatest forum poster , even on the mountain bike forums , preferring to read and absorb instead . Plus work is slow today .

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:19 pm

mario wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:18 pm
Trev wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:16 pm
9 posts in 11 years.🤔

😃👍
Hmmm , you may be right . Any suggestions on how to slow down ? I`m never the greatest forum poster , even on the mountain bike forums , preferring to read and absorb instead . Plus work is slow today .
lol.

You're welcome here anytime, Mate.

Actually, maybe beanpole can help you.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

mario
Grommet

Post by mario » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:22 pm

buddy wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:37 pm
Thud wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:30 pm
buddy wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:56 am
Thud wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:08 am
let me guess. More foam up front than normal HPSB?
That for me?

Just well balanced, it’s pretty low volume still.
I think JJF boards have foam forward. That’s all. I’ve a Conner coffin board he and Kelly rode in comps with foam forward. And they are easy to ride for an average punter.
Nah, just central I think.
Dims written are 6’, 18 7/8, 2 5/16, 27L but I reckon it’s chunkier than it says. Mate sold it partly cos it felt like a touch more volume than he wanted even though it was the same as his last. Good for me.
I`m breaking my post count here I think . Love the Fader and I think I`ll be ordering a Faded 2.0 soon . My Peri Peri starts to get real skatey above 5 foot so I`ll probably go to a 6'2 in the Faded .

mario
Grommet

Post by mario » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:29 pm

Wyre wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:13 pm
Nice one mario. Bold colours! 😀

I just bought the twin to my Outer Island 6'1".

A 6'5" step up, which I'm hoping to get out in this swell a'coming.

Needs FCS 2 find though, which I don't have.

Any suggestions? Large, I reckon..
Cheers Wyre , I`ve always had colour / designs on all my boards . Personal question though - how much do you weigh ? Fins are subjective I find to the board . I weigh 73 kgs and I`ve run large FCS in a 6'2 and mediums in it also . For me the larges gave me what I needed on 6 foot days and lots of water movement and the mediums in just the normal stuff . I run the Julian air cores in the peri peri and also in the churro 6'0 that I have . For me the JW fins have been the winners .

Wyre
Owl status

Post by Wyre » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:49 pm

Thanks mario, I'll check them out

Ps yep for 6+ days
Sniff wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:46 am
I remember some wheelchair xylophonist getting all macho about how he liked to smash absolutely heaps of Weetbix before a hard day's roofing

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:10 pm

Thud wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:11 am
It wasn’t a post to try to prove you wrong. I just wanted to post something on design about a board people love and seems to be the nexus of modern board design. The ambition is possibly a bit of chat and learning on HP design.
Yeh, no worries.
I was just more looking at the smooth outline and rocker (not that that's new) as a comment regarding Nick's new shooter.

mario
Grommet

Post by mario » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:49 pm

And finally got a chance to go pick up today . Love it , don`t want to surf it now . Chilli Faded 2.0 . 6`2" x 19 1/2 x 2 5/8 @ 32.5 litres . Now for the solid days .

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:57 pm

mario
Grommet

Post by mario » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:06 pm

Legion wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:57 pm
Oh boy, lucky surfin turf isn't around any more.
Do tell , love a good story .

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:54 pm

mario wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:06 pm
Legion wrote:
Well as you know these forums have little to with surfing so the real question is WTF is that sorry excuse for lawn you are standing on?

mario
Grommet

Post by mario » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:10 pm

channels wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:54 pm
mario wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:06 pm
Legion wrote:
Well as you know these forums have little to with surfing so the real question is WTF is that sorry excuse for lawn you are standing on?
Ahhh , at the start of winter we tore down a pergola / bbq area and the only thing growing on it was weeds ( we grow them well here ) . Now that the weather is warming up the grass is starting to send out runners . Its roughly 6 meters by 3 meters . I reckon by summer the grass will cover it so no more dirt patch .