post your modern day sickness

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

post your modern day sickness

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:01 pm

I would just to say hurray for modern surfboard making, it has somehow seen me into the best quivers of my life.

See below current cream of the crop for 2-5' surf (iggy scale; waist high to double overhead).
lil quiver2.jpg
lil quiver2.jpg (52.86 KiB) Viewed 64026 times
From right to left:

5'11" Webber round pin deep concave thruster, G3 template phil way hand-foiled glass fins

5'11" Bushrat round carbon flextail deep concave, five box 4Way setup (better four I think)

5'10" MC round pin superconcave super Metro prototype, C-Drive small thruster setup

5'9" MC roundtail superconcave K-etro prototype (x-Kelly), C-Drive smalls

6'3" AB six channel concave pintail, usually with AB flat inside edge fin set

what have you got. I love the usual suspects but let's see some others too.

Lard Lad
regular

Re: post your modern day sickness

Post by Lard Lad » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:15 pm

where's the fat-bats nick?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:40 pm

so if thats the cream NC, what do you ride atm if its a 2-3ft average beachy ? sometimes the decision making is the hardest part I reckon....lovin the lotus position too.... 8)

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:11 pm

ahh one of these (not the AB), or nothing at all! I often don't surf at all when it's 2', go bodysurfing or ski paddling or whatever.

Board decisions are weird things, I think you've just got to trust your first intuitive call, even if the board seems odd or not exactly suited to conditions, if you want to ride it you'll make it work anyway.

Then other times you have a very certain fixed idea about what you want to ride a board in and you wait for that day.

Anyway yeah let's see some shit hot non-retro normal wave quivers you fcukers.

Lard Lad
regular

Post by Lard Lad » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:08 pm

in light of these revelations nicholas, it might be worthwhile a resident shaper reviewing the contents of their website with particular reference to the provisions of the Competition and Consumer Act 2010, they might have a little bit of exposure?

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:12 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:Anyway yeah let's see some shit hot non-retro normal wave quivers you fcukers.
Nice to see someone else rides non-retro boards. I've started to feel like the odd man out at the beach these days. I swear they're saying " hey look guys, that kooks riding a 6'2" PU thruster, what a knob" as they walk by with there 4' bat tailed, twin keeled, minisimmonsydimsimfishdumpsterfridgedoor.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:23 pm

Lard Lad wrote:in light of these revelations nicholas, it might be worthwhile a resident shaper reviewing the contents of their website with particular reference to the provisions of the Competition and Consumer Act 2010, they might have a little bit of exposure?
I don't think there's anything wrong with the wording in this. But it's Nick's call of course.

Nick Carroll is not a team rider but he does ride some of my boards. He is great to work with and gives possibly the best feedback that I have ever had from a surfer and its due to his very thorough knowledge of surfboards and also his journalism skills, so he can explain how a surfboard performs in a clear and detailed manner, that's gold for a shaper. He gives me honest feedback and then discuss possible adjustments and improvements for his next board. He knows the worlds best surfers and shapers and sees all the surfboard trends and its great for me to be able to discuss all this with him, here's a few pics of NC on one of his Fat-Bats....
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Lard Lad
regular

Post by Lard Lad » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:14 pm

Argument for the prosecution item 12 indeed trevor, how many boards out of the range has nicholas tested, with what frequency, and when was the last 'feedback' issued? My interest being consumerism protection of course....

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:28 pm

Lard Lad wrote:Argument for the prosecution item 12 indeed trevor, how many boards out of the range has nicholas tested, with what frequency, and when was the last 'feedback' issued? My interest being consumerism protection of course....
Fair comments I guess but Nick HAS owned and ridden a couple of Mark's boards and IIRC even commented on here.
So any feedback from him to Mark would go towards the knowledge fund for the future - ongoing.
I'm happy for Nick to make any call which he feels is necessary.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:34 pm

reginald wrote:
Trev wrote: I don't think there's anything wrong with the wording in this. But it's Nick's call of course.
If you don't think there's anything wrong with it why bother saying anything?

My god you're one deluded omnipotent dingbat.
Well you see, I was responding to Lard lad's post.
No need for you to crawl out of your hole.
Beanpole

Skipper

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:43 pm

FFS, can't you blokes play nice. One post and the threads highjacked into personal tit for tat. Get a life. :roll:

Lard Lad
regular

Post by Lard Lad » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:46 pm

with respect trevor, the legality of the point has absolutely nothing to do with nicholas' concurrence to it being there or not. the reason for legislation such as that quoted is for a level playing field which i dont believe the other shapers here get, case in point being tiger probably 7 years ago being unwilling to spruik his wares without deference to approval from the Don, a gentleman is the tiger (never met him, likely never will), a level playing field for all should suffice, and I'm a Liberal voter!!!! the point you reference would be a clincher for mine, there's a lot MORE garbage spruiked that could easily be buried...... as you were, I'll call back in a few weeks.....

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:49 pm

hey I think you are off track there llad, I've had three Mores, which were a couple of fat bats and a more customised version, the last new one I got was 11 months ago, I gave Mark quite detailed feedback off all of 'em, I'm OK with having that feedback on his site for as long as it is relevant (which I imagine won't be a whole lot much longer, since his designs have altered and moved on a bit since my last More).

Please don't make an issue out of it here — indulge me instead. I don't want to read some boring usual-suspects argument, I want to see other people's non-retro advanced smaller wave quivers. For instance, rather than hassling Pridmore, let's see what you've got!

you too Reg you fcuken bikie slut.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:51 pm

Lard Lad wrote:with respect trevor, the legality of the point has absolutely nothing to do with nicholas' concurrence to it being there or not. the reason for legislation such as that quoted is for a level playing field which i dont believe the other shapers here get, case in point being tiger probably 7 years ago being unwilling to spruik his wares without deference to approval from the Don, a gentleman is the tiger (never met him, likely never will), a level playing field for all should suffice, and I'm a Liberal voter!!!! the point you reference would be a clincher for mine, there's a lot MORE garbage spruiked that could easily be buried...... as you were, I'll call back in a few weeks.....
Agree about Tiger.
I've met him and surfed with him.
Regarding the way Don did it back then, times have changed. I have hopefully made it clear I'm happy for regular Realsurf contributors to spruik their wares.
Even one of Tiger's mates, Cuttlefish has been talking up his board bags (as has crustt). I have no problem with that. Hopefully common sense has prevailed in the last 7 years.
Beanpole

Skipper

huie
Local

Post by huie » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:42 pm

interesting subject here. still riding throw aways nick 21st century and all

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:26 pm

2012-02-18 21.03.45-2.jpg
2012-02-18 21.03.45-2.jpg (22.08 KiB) Viewed 61746 times
these go with me when I can get of out town

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:32 pm

Trev wrote:
Lard Lad wrote:with respect trevor, the legality of the point has absolutely nothing to do with nicholas' concurrence to it being there or not. the reason for legislation such as that quoted is for a level playing field which i dont believe the other shapers here get, case in point being tiger probably 7 years ago being unwilling to spruik his wares without deference to approval from the Don, a gentleman is the tiger (never met him, likely never will), a level playing field for all should suffice, and I'm a Liberal voter!!!! the point you reference would be a clincher for mine, there's a lot MORE garbage spruiked that could easily be buried...... as you were, I'll call back in a few weeks.....
Agree about Tiger.
I've met him and surfed with him.
Regarding the way Don did it back then, times have changed. I have hopefully made it clear I'm happy for regular Realsurf contributors to spruik their wares.
Even one of Tiger's mates, Cuttlefish has been talking up his board bags (as has crustt). I have no problem with that. Hopefully common sense has prevailed in the last 7 years.
I've deleted all my posts I could find that I've made regarding them.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:36 pm

Well done!
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole