bonzers.....the quad fad is over

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

JaM71
charger

Re: bonzers.....the quad fad is over

Post by JaM71 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:45 am

Davros wrote:Low rails Jam?
more medium. Not as low as I usually have, it has a flat deck which gives the perception that they are thicker. As u know I never totally gelled with my quartet and this one has similiar attributes until u flip it over & feel that beautiful bottom contours (& fin set up obviously).

Very different to my gary Mac s but I love it all the same
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:29 pm

Beerfan wrote:
JaM71 wrote:Hey beerfan, it's a bonzer 5 pod which is kinda like the egg but with a pulled in nose. It also reminds me plan shape wise of a stretched out MLV. I wasn't sure about it because it is wider & thicker than I would normally ride (I had never ridden a bonzer before either) but decided to give it a whirl because it was second hand & I reckon I could sell it to Batoes if it didn't work out :)

Anyway really glad I did, great board which goes well in clean 2 ft ers plus bigger stuff. I haven't worked out which type of waves I prefer it in yet because I have had fun & some great waves every time I ve ridden it (only had it a week & surfed 4 times tho).

The thickness is a funny thing, it feels chunky on land but not in the water. It floats me higher, the bonus is I catch more waves & more glide......it still jams a turn off the tail like a mofo. Great open face carves, bottom turns & closeout reos.

Goes well backside but i need to work on that as I have a snappier backhand which hasn't clicked as well as my carvier more drawn out forehand.
Batoes has enough already! Someone close by has none haha

Awesome stuff mate, enjoy it
never enough! :-)(
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:53 am

batoes wrote:
Beerfan wrote:
JaM71 wrote:Hey beerfan, it's a bonzer 5 pod which is kinda like the egg but with a pulled in nose. It also reminds me plan shape wise of a stretched out MLV. I wasn't sure about it because it is wider & thicker than I would normally ride (I had never ridden a bonzer before either) but decided to give it a whirl because it was second hand & I reckon I could sell it to Batoes if it didn't work out :)

Anyway really glad I did, great board which goes well in clean 2 ft ers plus bigger stuff. I haven't worked out which type of waves I prefer it in yet because I have had fun & some great waves every time I ve ridden it (only had it a week & surfed 4 times tho).

The thickness is a funny thing, it feels chunky on land but not in the water. It floats me higher, the bonus is I catch more waves & more glide......it still jams a turn off the tail like a mofo. Great open face carves, bottom turns & closeout reos.

Goes well backside but i need to work on that as I have a snappier backhand which hasn't clicked as well as my carvier more drawn out forehand.

Russ short been getting wet lately?

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:47 am

Beerfan wrote:
batoes wrote:
Beerfan wrote:

Russ short been getting wet lately?
Nup - it's listed on gumtree - either for a swap or sell - $750. Tyre kickers galore have been chiming in with some offers from $400 to $650 :B
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:04 am

Why are you selling it? Getting another for solid days?

Gumtree people, lol

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:14 pm

Beerfan wrote:Why are you selling it? Getting another for solid days?

Gumtree people, lol
Just not riding it at all. I have a 6'0 NPJ 2+1 that is much better suited in terms of volume. I thought maybe i could use the Russ Short as a mid length with its volume, but it's far too rockered for that. It goes well in the big stuff, no doubt; just prefer the 2+1 - don't need two step ups. I'm in no rush - and to be honest if it doesn't sell - i plan on putting on ten kilos in the next year after no 4 arrives - then it'll be my grovellor. :shock:
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:21 pm

Haha lol.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:40 pm

batoes wrote:

Gumtree people, lol
Just not riding it at all. I have a 6'0 NPJ 2+1 that is much better suited in terms of volume. I thought maybe i could use the Russ Short as a mid length with its volume, but it's far too rockered for that. It goes well in the big stuff, no doubt; just prefer the 2+1 - don't need two step ups. I'm in no rush - and to be honest if it doesn't sell - i plan on putting on ten kilos in the next year after no 4 arrives - then it'll be my grovellor. :shock:

I saw your board on "the gumtree.
How much rocker does it have? I'm looking for something with a little more than my new mini merk. Are you in a position to compare it to the mini merk rocker at all?
Been riding my mini merk a fair bit since I got it. Mainly at Cronulla point. I'm loving it and am thinking about getting something longer and more slender for the bigger days at Cronulla point where I seem to struggle with the width of the board. It really doesn't seem to like the choppy days either. I seem to stack it a lot in the choppier stuff. Which is surprising as its glassed heavy.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:02 pm

I fear my slightly bulbous pod bonzer has ruined my surfing/quiver!!! It's the only board I ve ridden the last couple of weeks & we ve had some pretty good waves up here, i loved it but in hindsight I should ve mixed it up a bit. Today was N/NW waist to shoulder high fairly weak, a bit bumpy nothing too inspiring & I decided to ride my trusty quad. Didn't feel it at all!

I had my higher volume bonzer in the car so switched & sure enough got some fun waves with a couple of nice carving turns......bonzers shouldn't be that much fun in slop!!!

Has this mature age grom lost his shred? Is it just a phase? Or am I now a 5th gear addict? Is there any way back?

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:56 pm

JET01 wrote:
batoes wrote:

Gumtree people, lol

I saw your board on "the gumtree.
How much rocker does it have? I'm looking for something with a little more than my new mini merk. Are you in a position to compare it to the mini merk rocker at all?
Been riding my mini merk a fair bit since I got it. Mainly at Cronulla point. I'm loving it and am thinking about getting something longer and more slender for the bigger days at Cronulla point where I seem to struggle with the width of the board. It really doesn't seem to like the choppy days either. I seem to stack it a lot in the choppier stuff. Which is surprising as its glassed heavy.
Yeah its got some rocker - both nose and tail. I think the Russ is made for better waves. I tried riding it in smaller stuff and it didn't work for me. Ni idea how it would compare to the MM - maybe email Malcolm? or Rhino?
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:11 pm

I want a small wave bonzer.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:45 pm

Mblv by the sounds of it

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:01 pm

Getting a stiffy just thinking about it.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:30 pm

Here's a link to a few pics of my mlv...with a few other boards lying around for comparisons sake.
http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Surf ... ad/?page=6
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:49 am

Cuttlefish wrote:Here's a link to a few pics of my mlv...with a few other boards lying around for comparisons sake.
http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Surf ... ad/?page=6

Have you surfed it yet mate? Looks insane

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:54 am

Nice one Cuttlefish.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:39 pm

Very nice lawn. Did you mow it just for the quiver shot
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:00 pm

:-D-: :-D-: :-D-: