yes
88%
no
13%

Total votes: 16

SharkBoy
Grommet

Post by SharkBoy » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:56 pm

actually, I don't know if they need to be ridden shorter. I have a 5'11", which is also my normal shortboard size, but because they twitch a bit more without that back fin, they project less from the tail, more from the rail.

I reckon you can also stand further forward on them. could just be mine, but it seems like it likes to be surfed like that more.

k_boarder
regular

Post by k_boarder » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:40 pm

I can barely believe how popular quads are with the standups now. I've ridden a quad kneelo standing up before, I didn't really like it much. It makes me wonder what a quad stick would go like, I'll have to try one one of these days.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:13 am

Iggy,

How tall & heavy are you?

hymie

Post by hymie » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:00 pm

a question for guys that have been riding quads - i'm thinking of going down this path and i'd like to know whether you still ride thrusters on big days ?

for the last few years i've been using a fishy thruster for waves up to about 4 foot and then a conventional thruster, a bit longer and narrower, for big days.

i have fond memories of riding twinnies 25 years and 20kg ago, but I also remember their limitations. a board that has extra looseness without the sliding and popouts sounds good - but I guess it'll be my small wave board, right ?

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:41 pm

I still ride a thruster. In fact Ive been back on a thruster for the past couple of weeks. I went back to my quad yesterday in smaller surf and frk I realised why I like it so much. Its good to change things around anyway.

When the waves get bigger I tend to go back to a thruster for a few reasons. The thruster allows me a quicker, tighter pivot when taking a more vertical approach (more often when the waves are bigger/ better). Also sometimes a quad can be too fast and you end up having to completely change your lines just to keep in the pocket. Also the quads I like to ride are set up for smaller waves, with slightly more width and rail bulk than my normal shorties. I find a little more bulk in the back rail helps coz you drive so much off that part of the board with a quad set up.

I would say to anyone thinking of going down the quad path 'keep an open mind'. To me about 90% of quads are complete crap, and chances are you may not like it. But if you find a good one you will wonder why you didn't get one much earlier. If you like the 'twinny' feel then there is a better chance that you will enjoy one of the 'every day' quads out there eg. Simon S4. I personaly don't like that 'twinny' sk8ty feel.

There are guys riding quad set ups in guns. Mavericks as an example. To me this sort of set up for big waves is best left in the hands of an expert shaper with experience in quads. Fin placement is critical and its not just a matter of whaking in 4 fins. A thruster would be a safer bet for most people in bigger waves.

longbum
Local

Post by longbum » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:36 pm

Natho wrote:I still ride a thruster. In fact Ive been back on a thruster for the past couple of weeks. I went back to my quad yesterday in smaller surf and frk I realised why I like it so much. Its good to change things around anyway.

When the waves get bigger I tend to go back to a thruster for a few reasons. The thruster allows me a quicker, tighter pivot when taking a more vertical approach (more often when the waves are bigger/ better). Also sometimes a quad can be too fast and you end up having to completely change your lines just to keep in the pocket. Also the quads I like to ride are set up for smaller waves, with slightly more width and rail bulk than my normal shorties. I find a little more bulk in the back rail helps coz you drive so much off that part of the board with a quad set up.

I would say to anyone thinking of going down the quad path 'keep an open mind'. To me about 90% of quads are complete crap, and chances are you may not like it. But if you find a good one you will wonder why you didn't get one much earlier. If you like the 'twinny' feel then there is a better chance that you will enjoy one of the 'every day' quads out there eg. Simon S4. I personaly don't like that 'twinny' sk8ty feel.

ditto.
I tend to surf flatter and slower when I jump back onto my small wave thruster.
A good quad will let you ride something smaller in bigger stuff which is perfect for down here.
My quads are all 602's, have a 604 but hardly ride it unless its hang onto your nuts down the line kinda screamers where I'm not really turning, just trying to make thru sections....