Konnichi Wa!

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:56 pm

the shackle wrote:so everytime i write f u k u s h i m a it gets changed to darn?

darn.
does it :?:

let me try it :arrow: fukushima, darn, how about I try it again fukushima nup still the same :lol:

Like the vibe of the vids LA, thanks for sharing ;)
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

the shackle
regular

Post by the shackle » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:38 pm

munch wrote:
the shackle wrote:so everytime i write f u k u s h i m a it gets changed to darn?

darn.
does it :?:

let me try it :arrow: fukushima, darn, how about I try it again fukushima nup still the same :lol:

Like the vibe of the vids LA, thanks for sharing ;)
using kanji or hiragana it would be spelt fu ku shi ma

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:03 pm

my housemate used to live in fukushima, so we get people from up there coming to stay sometimes. there was one i remember well because he's the only japanese person i've met who recognised 'wollongong' as soon as i'd said it: yoshimitsu, who's sponsored by byrne and has stayed at phil byrne's place and surfed stanwell park, sandon, woonona, spot x, shitty's and a few other places in the area. we smoked a lot of pot and drank a lot of beer and sake the night he came to stay, but because we'd talked about surfing all night it was no trouble getting up for an early the next morning. and when i saw yoshimitsu shredding, i thought, 'fuck, no wonder phil byrne wants to make this guy boards!' so yeah, i haven't been to fukushima darn it but i always want to go.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:05 pm

realsurf.com sucks! just let us say whatever we want!!!

the shackle
regular

Post by the shackle » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:18 pm

Lucky Al wrote:my housemate used to live in darn, so we get people from up there coming to stay sometimes. there was one i remember well because he's the only japanese person i've met who recognised 'wollongong' as soon as i'd said it: yoshimitsu, who's sponsored by byrne and has stayed at phil byrne's place and surfed stanwell park, sandon, woonona, spot x, shitty's and a few other places in the area. we smoked a lot of pot and drank a lot of beer and sake the night he came to stay, but because we'd talked about surfing all night it was no trouble getting up for an early the next morning. and when i saw yoshimitsu shredding, i thought, '****, no wonder phil byrne wants to make this guy boards!' so yeah, i haven't been to darn darn it but i always want to go.
i spent quite a but of time surfing around the beaches near iwaki. i got to know some of the locals at toyoma and they even invited me to help carry the omikoshi with them one year. great guys and decent surfers too. some good waves in that area.

edit - darn is also great for the city of aizu wakamatsu. its a castle town with a cool history - the byakkotai etc. you would dig it if your ever up that way al. god snow there too at bandai san which is a extinct volcano. ok i'll stop being a tourist guide now. enjoy mate

Apehammer

Post by Apehammer » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:37 am

I spent a year in Japan and got some great waves around Miyazaki. Went to the Ocean Dome once to check out the wave pool. Quite a mind-blowing little wave when they crank it up, although the public aren't allowed to surf it. The ironic thing was that by the time we left the Ocean Dome a six foot typhoon swell was rolling in to Miyazaki City rivermouth. Solid lefts and rights with all kinds of dodgy debris floating around the lineup. Fun country.

the shackle
regular

Post by the shackle » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:48 am

Apehammer wrote:I spent a year in Japan and got some great waves around Miyazaki. Went to the Ocean Dome once to check out the wave pool. Quite a mind-blowing little wave when they crank it up, although the public aren't allowed to surf it. The ironic thing was that by the time we left the Ocean Dome a six foot typhoon swell was rolling in to Miyazaki City rivermouth. Solid lefts and rights with all kinds of dodgy debris floating around the lineup. Fun country.
is that where "currens right" is?

Apehammer

Post by Apehammer » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:54 am

As far as I know Curren's Right is a bit further down the coast. The whole east coast of Kyushu has stacks of points, reefs and beachies. Has a bit of a Bali feel about it (although the waves aren't of Bali's consistency or standard).

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:18 pm

anyone seen naohisa ogawa surf pipeline? i've just seen photos, but i guess he surfs it pretty good and big. the spot he grew up surfing's quite different to pipe, though - just like the spots most of the people who surf pipe good and big grew up surfing! what i want to know is, what on earth gets into people?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 1294725383

the shackle
regular

Post by the shackle » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:18 am

wanto wrote:al, you gotta gimme a preview when you get back. thoroughly engaging stuff.

one of the best books i ever read: Musashi. i found a lot of themes which can be related to surfing. so it didn't surprise me that the Japanese would take to surfing like they have.
musashi miyamoto the famous swordsman?

the shackle
regular

Post by the shackle » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:13 pm

i guess it just depends on whether you want to pronounce it in the japanese tradition of family name first or in the western tradition of family name last.
either way its still the same bloke :D

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:03 pm

sure i'll give you preview, wanto - just gotta wait some months because i filmed lot and don't know where to start putting all together.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:04 pm

short story about spot that should never been and never quite what a spot should been: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 3083936010

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:09 pm

sometimes waves hard to ride but still you think might as well give it a go

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:46 am

thanks for the advice wanto, but i think because i haven't paid to use the music in the clips claiming them might be a bad idea. anyway, these are nothing - i'm just bumbling my way through learning to film and edit, and still got a long, long way to go. having a blast while bumbling, though.