13%

Total votes: 16

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:36 pm

munch wrote:Oh dUg are youse talking about using eps :?:
yup. ;)

got a pic somewhere of the first blank I made ( will try and dig it out ) ... "M" grade Expanded Polystyrene and 3 ply stringer. Even customised the compress in the foam to match my weight... but I glassed the first couple of boards too light and snapped 'em. Third one was good though... carbon fibre rails worked a charm!!

I'm still not 100% sure if I'll do it... may still just take the lazy way out and go for standard PU/PE construction. At least I can pour hot coats then and not wait a freakin day to see how sh1t my glass job is... LOL

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:56 am

Hey dUg are youse talking about hot wire cutting the blanks out :?:

I've gone down the compsand route and are really happy with the boards :arrow: and they have been in situations that imho would of snapped regular boards, can't say they are easy :roll: but worth it :D
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:15 pm

munch wrote:Hey dUg are youse talking about hot wire cutting the blanks out :?
hehe, yeah I tried that the first time... then after snapping the wire about ten times I thought there had to be a better way. :?

Ended up buying 100mm thick refrigeration foam offcuts ( for about five bucks ) then bending in the rocker with weights and making an epoxy glued sandwich with the 3ply in the middle. 4 four big clamps hold it all together and yeah... it's a biyatch getting it all to line up. But once it's set you have a blank with customised tension right through the foil.

I shape in the tail and nose rocker by marking it out along the flat edges of the block, then once I am happy with that I cut out the planshape with a wood saw and do the deck, and finally rails. Bit of a mission... but as you say... they end up pretty strong!!

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:28 pm

You guys have gotta have a lotta time on your hands getting in to exotic materials, hand made fins - all sound like serious tinkering in the shed
For me shaping a standard PU blank without the aid of power tools is all the hand crafting I can be bothered with. Hopefully will have it finished in next couple of weeks - will post pics when done

porca
regular

Post by porca » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:56 pm

Im selling my Byrne quad if anyone is keen $420 pretty good condition.
I love riding it but scared that I will snap it (I seem to snap boards easy) so am selling and getting something epoxy

longbum
Local

Post by longbum » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:42 pm

porca wrote:Image
that ain't a quad :roll: ....its a thruster :wink:

porca
regular

Post by porca » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:49 pm

spoke to Phil B about the board before I got it he said he puts the extra plug in so you can have a bet each way, if yiu dont like it as a quad then its a thruster

longbum
Local

Post by longbum » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:03 am

its either a thruster or a quad matey.........

I bet its a thruster setup knowing PB. :wink:

Norman_Gunston
Grommet

Post by Norman_Gunston » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 am

Longbum,
Still waiting for a review on the firewire quad and the JS paraletic......

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:28 am

dUg wrote:then once I am happy with that I cut out the planshape with a wood saw
dUgout and Munch, best tip I ever got about cutting planshapes was to use a circular saw. Yes, you have to take some slices at the nose and tail, but for a good 90 degree cut it is hard to beat. Just cut close to your line and tidy with block mounted sandpaper or Surform.

Just hold the the fence up with your other hand while you cut. Stand at the opposite rail and work over the bottom of the board, that way you can see your pencil line. Hope that makes sense. I’ve still got most of my fingers. :twisted:

Everyone’s got a circular saw, right? If you don’t you can even get an el cheapo gay man’s choice = GMC (that is another story) :D

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:47 am

you use one of these things to cut a blank??

watch your thumbs...

surfin39
charger

Post by surfin39 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:58 am

^^^^

F! me that must've hurt ..... being a backyard blitzer I know the pain all too well that power tools and a stray hammer blow can cause, so I can imagine :shock: ...

I know an apprentice builder who took his thumb off at the knuckle Monday last week when his saw kicked back on him (poor bugger).... at the hospital he was fourth :shock: in line to have it sewn back on ... apparently it's a daily occurance

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:32 am

Yes Wands, one of them.

I have a healthy respect for tools! :wink:

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:17 am

ric_vidal wrote:
I have a healthy respect for tools! :wink:
Thanks for the kind words.

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:40 am

barstardos wrote:You guys have gotta have a lotta time on your hands getting in to exotic materials, hand made fins - all sound like serious tinkering in the shed
For me shaping a standard PU blank without the aid of power tools is all the hand crafting I can be bothered with. Hopefully will have it finished in next couple of weeks - will post pics when done
I took offence to that, took me a while to figure out why :arrow:

Yeah I suppose it does take a bit of time and it is consuming and that's a whine that's come out'a the handbrake and others :roll: and that's why I think I took offence BUT i love surfing something I've made. Plus building a different type of board is a hard process and I love thinking things through, designing and building stuff and I need it in my life much to my other half's chargrin :D
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:27 pm

ANGLE GRINDERS ARE BY FAR THE MOST DANGEROUS TOOL ( unless u come accross wanderer in a really bad mood)

you can't see shit with shield on...but once u take it off....serious injury is only a seconds distraction away :oops:

p.s quads go faster than thrusters 8) :lol:

longbum
Local

Post by longbum » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:39 pm

Norman_Gunston wrote:Longbum,
Still waiting for a review on the firewire quad and the JS paraletic......
JS PAraletic - 602 x 19 1/4 x 2 3/8 QUAD.

First thing when you see and feel these is the weight. Holy shit, they're the lightest surfboard I've ever felt and I instantly thought it may be too light and automatically lose some drive and glide.
After the first couple of surfs, which have been in 1ft crap, I noticed how zippy it felt from takeoff and thru turns. A few waves where I had an actual face to work with, the board definately opened up and blew out some turns because of it (hard to adjust on a 1fter), I even made an air as it felt floatier thru the air, I haven't tried an air since I was 16.
So I haven't got a real feel for it yet but it just feels good under my feet and am looking forward to getting it in good waves.

FW 602 x 19 1/2 x 2 3/8 QUAD.

Again haven't had much of a feel in this because of the waves but it is too big for what I usually ride so its kinda not apples for apples.
Other than feeling like I'm throwing around a bigger board and throwing my ack out is that it does feel more like all my other quads in that it feels drivey and tight (tight meaning on rail and not skatey) Not like a Simon type quad.

Not much of a review but give me some time (shops pretty mental) and some waves. I'm also working on another carbon rail type quad design with Gaz who shapes our boards that look great. I'll post pictures of my quads when I get a chance.
:D

Rug
Local

Post by Rug » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:02 pm

Finally had a surf on me revamped board yesterday. 2-3ft NE wind swell which was pretty farkin fat but the board showed some potential.

Am gunna have to play around with the fins a bit. Had G7000s in the front and Slaters in the back. Really big fins yeah but I went out and purchased 2 side G-AMs and 2 side GXs so the next surf may see the board come to life. I'll chop and change over the next few months to fin a combo that works for me.

And I had to have a chuckle at Porca. Jeez mate do ya not drive ya car out on the road in case ya get run into or a stone chips the paint work? Any board can snap......yes even those pop out epoxy things. Mate just ride the board and watch the close out maneuvers and ya should be right.
The best surfer in the water is the one having the most fun.

"Stay happy and everything will be perfectly all right"... Jack Norris