Wetsuits

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

johno_52

Wetsuits

Post by johno_52 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:20 pm

With the recent water temp drop, I've got out the rubber, been using the rashie and spring suit it has started to rub around the neck more then ever and it starts about 1hr after getting in the water. Anyone have an ideas on how to avoided this rubbing or extend the time before it starts to rub????? :?: :x
Johno

danw
regular

Re: Wetsuits

Post by danw » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:33 pm

^^ vasoline

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:33 pm

johno_52 wrote:With the recent water temp drop, I've got out the rubber, been using the rashie and spring suit it has started to rub around the neck more then ever and it starts about 1hr after getting in the water. Anyone have an ideas on how to avoided this rubbing or extend the time before it starts to rub????? :?: :x
Lucas' paw paw ointment, less greasy than vass and a must have for any surfers kit bag....

Surfa 69
Grommet

Post by Surfa 69 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:45 pm

There's not alot you can do to stop it to be honest. I worked for a wetsuit company designing and selling suits for 6+ years and it's usually to do with the way a suit fits you. How does your springy fit (does it pull or fit loosely around the neck)? The other thing that causes it is the drying of salt water crystals, this can be avoided somewhat by washing the suit after use but over time it is unavoidable and is only made worse but the neoprene getting tougher.

You can't do much to stop it in the next few days beside using some vasoline or leaving surfing out for a bit until your skin recovers. You skin may toughen up after that but to be honest I'd say think about getting a new suit one that feels very comfortable around the neck.

danw
regular

Post by danw » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:54 pm

pridmore wrote:
johno_52 wrote:With the recent water temp drop, I've got out the rubber, been using the rashie and spring suit it has started to rub around the neck more then ever and it starts about 1hr after getting in the water. Anyone have an ideas on how to avoided this rubbing or extend the time before it starts to rub????? :?: :x
Lucas' paw paw ointment, less greasy than vass and a must have for any surfers kit bag....

^^ very good but not always available. that why suggest vasoline.
also like was said in previous reply washing suit fresh h20 if possible helpdsas well.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:59 am

does your rashie have a high neck (like the old skivvy style...) or is a low neck ... I use low neck in summer when no wettie required and have a couple of high neck rashies for when wearing wetties ...

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:34 am

Can't beat a high-neck rashie.

I always use one and never have had this problem.

Wetty is 3 years old now and I wear it all year round too.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:41 pm

Hatchman wrote:Can't beat a high-neck rashie.

I always use one and never have had this problem.

Wetty is 3 years old now and I wear it all year round too.
High neck rashies work for me.

Haz
barnacle

Post by Haz » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:17 pm

^^ Great models! :lol:

Kinda looks like my mum :shock:

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:00 pm

pridmore wrote:
Be carefull I saw a doco illustrating that sharks love the smell of that stuff.