Webber Afterburner or Anacappa Pro Standard

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

bigmac

Webber Afterburner or Anacappa Pro Standard

Post by bigmac » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:59 am

Hi I was lucky to win a surfboard off global surf industries, :D and I have to pick one from their range, I've narrowed it down to a afterburner or Al Merrik Anacappa Pro Standard has any one who can surf well rode either of these boards, give us some feedback. I will be using it in standard beach break conditions. I've rode customs for last 25 years . Reverse vees for the last 10 of those, I've never rode a double concave, but I know the design concept behind them. I dont want some rockered out toy that slides out whenever I jam it and yes I know their both machine cut and made in thailand. : :roll:

Mark Kelly

Luck's a fortune

Post by Mark Kelly » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:32 pm

Hey BigMac, wait a couple of weeks and get one of the 2008 Webber models. They are constructed of GSI's new SLX technology. Epoxy Glass job and high density EPS core. They also feature Greg's new bottom contour and templates. Send me a PM and I will give you the local rep - Matt Harbour - cell phone number and he can show them to you. They arrive at the end of the month.

jfdi
regular

Post by jfdi » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Those new Webber split double concave bottoms look real interesting. I'd have a guess that it would ride a bit like two narrow boards in one.

longbum
Local

Re: Luck's a fortune

Post by longbum » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:11 am

Mark Kelly wrote:Hey BigMac, wait a couple of weeks and get one of the 2008 Webber models. They are constructed of GSI's new SLX technology. Epoxy Glass job and high density EPS core. They also feature Greg's new bottom contour and templates. Send me a PM and I will give you the local rep - Matt Harbour - cell phone number and he can show them to you. They arrive at the end of the month.
I'd have to agree with Kel on this one. Seen them on Thursday and they are a very much improved board.

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:37 pm

jfdi wrote:Those new Webber split double concave bottoms look real interesting. I'd have a guess that it would ride a bit like two narrow boards in one.
look better than they ride

bigmac

Re: Luck's a fortune

Post by bigmac » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:41 pm

[quote="longbum"][quote="Mark Kelly"]Hey BigMac, wait a couple of weeks and get one of the 2008 Webber models. They are constructed of GSI's new SLX technology. Epoxy Glass job and high density EPS core. They also feature Greg's new bottom contour and templates. Send me a PM and I will give you the local rep - Matt Harbour - cell phone number and he can show them to you. They arrive at the end of the month.[/quote]
I'd have to agree with Kel on this one. Seen them on Thursday and they are a very much improved board.[/quote] :D in what ways were they improved,were their any different shapes or models amongst them,the standard webber looks ok but i need the size up with a bit more volume,id say i will still stick with a fiberglass constucted board thats all ive ever known.i was checking out some simones and chillis i liked their basic outlines and bottom curves and yes their all machine cut too. :roll:

bigmac

Post by bigmac » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:45 pm

[quote="jfdi"]Those new Webber split double concave bottoms look real interesting. I'd have a guess that it would ride a bit like two narrow boards in one.[/quote] lost me there whats a split double concave :shock: :shock:

damned

Post by damned » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:59 am

check em there not square not the webber

bigmac

Post by bigmac » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:34 am

[q :D i had a look at the new webbers yesterday ,the eps epoxy combination is very impressive light and strong.his new concave configuration is quite different,will be interesting to ride.i ended up choosing a fatburner,it will get me in the water more ,especially in less than ideal conditions which in spring and summer is the norm around my local at any rate. :twisted: lookout mal crew. Thanks to the guys at Global surf,mark matty.chris ,very helpful and proffesinal.5 stars. :D .uote="damned"]check em there not square not the webber[/quote] :D

pig champion
Local

Post by pig champion » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:18 pm

get the webber & trade it on a better board ... those anacapa's are pretty ordinary
my heaters broke & i'm so tired ...

bigmac

Post by bigmac » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:18 pm

i got the fat burner and it s all good good desizn shape etc im confident it will go good for what it is designed for,i have a simon xfc as my allrounder as well asa a 7/7 gun for the serious shit, which i will trade on a dalbergh semi or banks :D :D Really at the end of the day they all work in diffewrent ways it all comes down to taste and what you are used to , by the way i did not get one specific response to my original query. :roll:

doowdle

Post by doowdle » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:43 am

I've got an afterburner tuflite, its a great little beach break board but it seems to lack a sense of direction untill youve got it going.

bigmac

Post by bigmac » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:19 pm

:D what fins have you got in it,as a lack of drive could be put down to the fins,or to little volume in the board for your weight :?:

doowdle

Post by doowdle » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:16 pm

M5's. They look like they would do the job. I weigh just under 70kgs and its a 6'2", so plenty of board. It just feels too light. still good though, just squirrls around a bit.

bigmac

Post by bigmac » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:37 pm

probably :D because of it being a tuflite it would be the extra bouyancy i would say

bigmac

Post by bigmac » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:48 pm

:D SURFED THE FATBURNER TODAY IN 2FT OFFSHORE WAVES ,HAD A BIT OF TROUBLE GETTING DOWN THE FACE ON A COUPLE DUE TO THE EXTRA AREA IN THE NOSE,AND I FOUND I HAD TO SURF IT FURTHER FORWARD THEN NORMAL, IT HAD PLENTY OF SPEED A TOUCH SKATEY BUT IT RESPONDED WELL TO FULL RAIL ROUNDHOUSE CUTBACKS WITH A NICE BIT OF SQUIRT OUT OF TURNS WHEN I DUG MY RAILS UNDER POWER. PRETTYGOOD OVERALL FOR MY FIRST SESSION :D