my new board

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

dammit__01
Owl status

my new board

Post by dammit__01 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:25 pm

you may have read im a surfer looking for a new board my skill level on a scale to 10 is 2 but my knowledge of the sea is about 7/10 after reading martys topic i got some tips and im thinking about getting this board but im waiting on some advise from some real surfers soo here it is ...

Up for grabs here is a 'PCC' Surfboard in great condition . The board has a few depressions on the deck and the bottom none of which effect the performance of the board. It has had a few minor repairs which have all been professionally done

Dimensions are 5ft'8in x 19 1/2in x 3in.

It is fitted with FCS fins and an Ocean & Earth legrope

i didnt wanna put the ebay link up incase it is good and sum1s looking for a board aswell and then im in a bidding war :evil: even tho ill sniper u down :lol:

fong

Re: my new board

Post by fong » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:39 pm

: :lol:
Last edited by fong on Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:22 am

damknit_01 this is a hybrid type board I have done for a few friends now and this one is a demo board at the moment until it gets sold somewhere somehow. I made it and didn't achieve the rocker I wanted for the guy I was making it for, so I made another one before he even saw this one.

It has been ridden once by the guy’s brother who was a fair bit larger than the guy it was intended for so it wasn't for him.

6' 1 3/4" x 21 1/2" x 2 3/8" very wide so should paddle well and be stable, but narrow enough tail so should perform OK, I haven’t ridden it as it is probably too small for my :oops: large frame so can’t lie :shock: about its wonderful performance.

You are more than welcome to have a test drive if it is of any interest and the price could be less than you think (but not as cheap as the ebay) as I know what I would get if it went on consignment. :cry: PM me if interested.

smw1
Local

Post by smw1 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:49 am

I honestly suggest you go to a real surf shop and talk to someone. I can think of at least 4 shops on the NBs that have a fantastic selection of second hand boards, from absolute dogs at 200 bucks to things that are as good as new.

IMHO this board is going to do absolutely nothing for your technique and style, which is what you really need to be working on at this point.

SMW1

crooked
Local

Post by crooked » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:36 pm

Pin tail for a beginner?

id be looking more at swallow tails. Other features for your skill level would be:

Soft rails= easier to turn
Longer board=easier to get onto waves

Im not an expert, but I reckon get a board that suits your skill and the waves you'll be surfing in- ASK A SHAPER, I doubt anyone would have more knowledge that would help you out

Happy surfing bro

dammit__01
Owl status

Re: my new board

Post by dammit__01 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:52 pm

fong wrote:[
:lol: :lol: :lol: i misread a discription on the seinfeld box set ended up buying it for 50 bucks ... cases only :lol: an i was upto 200 buy and sells :x :lol:

CaT_SPeW
charger

Post by CaT_SPeW » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:15 pm

im still new to alot of this but i just bought my first board not long ago and i spent a lot of time talking to the store guys and researching forums like this. 5'8 seems very short to me i'd be aiming for at least 6'6 and fairly wide like 19' or 20'something. even a mini-mal just to get the feel of everything and then get a shortboard later if you progress quickly. i ended up buying a 6'6 but i have a 7'0 softboard and 6'5 shortboard to practise on too. i rhink its a wise move to buy a bigger board first and just progress to a shortboard as you get better.

dammit__01
Owl status

Post by dammit__01 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:03 pm

hey theres another board a no name wicky stix??? but its only a dolla right now :lol: prob wont get to more than 50 its dimentions are ..

Size : 6'7"

Width : 19"

Rails : Hard

Thickness : 2 1/2"

Fins : 3 x FCS Fins.

Leash : 6 foot with key pocket.

any tips?

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:47 pm

Post a pick, slightly shorter narrower and thinner than mine.

JaxonB
regular

Post by JaxonB » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:24 pm

Dammit get down to all the decent surf shops and look at their 2nd hand boards, you cant go wrong with one for a beginner. I bought a 2nd hand from powerlinez in narra, and ive been hooked ever since. DO IT!!

evolution
Grommet

Post by evolution » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:33 pm

hey Fong..... any suggestions regarding those rails??/ :lol:

Hawkeye
barnacle

Post by Hawkeye » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:56 pm

Dammit, I think you'll do alright with those wickystix boards, especially the hybrids/minimals with the more generous dimensions. For an Oz made board the pricing is pretty sharp.

Your main concern for the time being will be adjusting your timing for catching waves, and accumulating sufficient back and arm strength/endurance for paddling and popping to your feet.

Manoevres and style you can worry about in about 6 months to a year - get the basics happening first. I reckon these boards will suit where you are at and where you will get to over this period. 8)

And if you want some decent fins for it, come and see me! :wink:
Last edited by Hawkeye on Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NCP
Grommet

Post by NCP » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:57 pm

Hi Dammit,
That board is too thick... the guy in my avatar rides a board 3.5 in thick, and he is HUGE! 5'8 is really short too. What board you ride also depends on your size, weight etc, not just your ability.

You are a booger changing to surfing right? If so, you will progress very quickly being already experienced in the surf, so buying a real 'beginners' board is not as good an idea as it may seem. How tall are you? how much do you weigh? I would tend to stay clear of wierd looking boards like that one you have your eye on on ebay. Rasta might be cool, but I think you will find you progress much faster, and get better technique, if you buy a fairly normal shaped board. Personally, if I were you, I would just spend the extra dosh, cop the earfull of cr@p from the idiot who sells you the board, and get one from a surf shop. Much more realiable option.

Oh, and once you get OK, buy customs. Just buy one and you will know what I mean... you will never look back.

patske
regular

Post by patske » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:26 pm

lol that guy in your avatar is in the credits of crossing the line with bruce irons. HAHAH cracked up when i saw him in the barrel. I was like.. man why can't I ride like that y0

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Thu May 11, 2006 10:44 pm

I agree with NCP, buy a second hand shortboard, my first board was a 6'3 and was pretty thin but if you get down to the waves alot as it sounds you should pick it up easy and then I would give it a year or so to get your turns and cutbacks/floaters downpacked and then buy a brand newie off the rack or order a custom but go down an inch or two, depending on your height/weight(the local shaper will help you with this) and you'll be set :)