Chicama 1980

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Frus

Chicama 1980

Post by Frus » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:53 pm

Bought a one way ticket from L.A. to Lima for a solo return tereste trip to California. Chicama was a spectacular experience. First, no rain. Which meant no greenery. Add to that extreme poverty and cloudy skies.
Guys name was Jimmy Dore, from Santa Monica. Prescription drugs, cocaine, and "Chapman del inca".....local home brew. First time I saw him was out at the point. He was quoting Jimmi Hendrix and leashless.
The only hotel at that time was Hotel Sony. Brick construction and a young kid that cleaned the toilets every morning.
Then there was Zorro. He was the "needs" guy. Cola, smoke, psychedelic shrooms, and all around cool guy.
Just a matter of time before you got sick.
Best section was the inside. Called "el hombres "
The Jimmy Dore story has a part 2 that's straight out of the movies.

Wyre
Owl status

Re: Chicama 1980

Post by Wyre » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:19 pm

Nice one Frus, must've been pretty intense back then. I was there in 2008, some things the same,some very different. Still very poor. Still very sketchy. We were staying down in Huanchaco and came up for a day trip, with a taxi driver who was ex-Policia. Place was pumping, 4 foot and clean as. Not a heap of crew, pretty chilled but for these very annoying Americans, one was quite fat, who had hired a local with a boat to shuttle them back to the top of the line up after each wave, while us fools had to do the very long walk back each time. That's fine, but once we'd managed to paddle back out, they'd get dropped on the INSIDE of us and then take off on the bombs! Fcuk that!

I remember the sweep was full on, you had to really paddle hard to stay in the spot and go for it when a wave came or you'd be gone in no time. The wave was beautiful, and 'el hombres' fantastic. I'm not sure if it breaks like that all the time, apparently we got it good.

I was so tired by late arvo, came up to where the taxi driver had pulled up for the day (we'd paid for his lunch and beer etc), he was starting to get pretty agitated, telling us we needed to get the fuck outta there before dark, as a car with fancy surfboards on the roof was just asking to be jacked.

My mates eventually came in, we got out of there and headed back to Huanchaco for ultra fresh ceviche and beer.

Our holy place was Lobitos, a little further norte...stayed there for 2 months!
Sniff wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:46 am
I remember some wheelchair xylophonist getting all macho about how he liked to smash absolutely heaps of Weetbix before a hard day's roofing

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Chicama 1980

Post by Drailed » Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:59 pm

Nice one mate
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable