Hawaii - Maui

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Natho
barnacle

Hawaii - Maui

Post by Natho » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:35 pm

Hi all,

Im heading over to Hawaii in Feb. Other than the North Shore I plan to pop over to Maui for a week given that I have not been to Maui before. Anyone got any tips on good surf spots at that time of year in Maui? Honolua is at the top of my list if its breaking.

I have a no cost accomodation option in the Wailea area in the Southern part of the West coast. I understand this is a bit of a way from some of the key surf spots up North, however is Wailea too far? I will have a car and it means good accomodation at no cost. Otherwise I may need to pay for accomodation to be closer to Honolua, Flemmings and the like. Is it worth paying to be closer?

simplesimon

Re: Hawaii - Maui

Post by simplesimon » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:55 am

Nath, I will PM you. I may be heading back over around Feb also.

Balts

Post by Balts » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:46 pm

I was there last January mate - great spot!

That will be fine, easy drive and hardly any traffic (apart from yank tanks!)

Had heaps of waves over there, best place.

I was suprised how many standups surfing the small beachies... seems everyone has one of them.

You will love it.

Balts

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:00 am

Cheers Balts. Yeh looking forward to getting out of Oahu and heading over to Maui. Heard good reports on the Jan- March period in Maui so thought I would give it a shot. Always wanted to surf Honolua Bay, but thats not to say it will be breaking when Im there so Im not getting my hopes up.

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:28 am

Been to Maui a couple of times end of October, can find waves up at Peahi on the NE if you're lucky but over on the west side of Lahaina there always seemed to be a few waves. If there's not much surf catch one of the snorkeling tours out to Molokini from Lahaina, definitely worth doing as well as a luau at night. I stayed in the south near Wailea and I found a couple of breaks down the south I have no idea what the names were in the middle of lava fields that looked like fun breaking around 3-4' probably more because of the idyllic scenery than anything else. Would like the chance to go back and really explore and drive around the whole island.

Both times I was there (2002 & 2003) I wasn't on a surf mission I was actually there for a race so I wasn't really able to chase waves anyway. I never really saw much to make me regret that though except the time I saw Peahi at about 6' it looked pretty nice but nothing Laird would tow into. I think the big swells hit later November and December. Nonetheless a beautiful place and far less crowded than Oahu.

simplesimon

Post by simplesimon » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:56 am

Frk Natho, looks like you have a cracking swell over there ya pr!ck. :evil: enjoy. That's if you are over there yet.