King Island

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

King Island

Post by steve shearer » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:49 pm

Anyone been there?

I know a bit from hearsay....any eyewitness reports gratefully received.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Re: King Island

Post by Yuke Hunt » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:21 pm

I haven't been there ... but by jeebers they make good cheeses.

And some their cows are pretty tasty too.

I'm sure theres waves for the wise ... 8)

What time of the year are you thinking of heading down ... or is this an up-stumps and move there kind of idea ... :?:

Storms ... wind ... waves and sharks ... lots of bloody great big toothy noah's arks.

Oh ... and sheep ... :shock:
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:00 pm

Always wanted to surf there.

Wild, wild coastline by the looks of it though, decent sized testicles will be required to take it on I'd reckon

Meat, cheese, butter etc. is top class too.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:44 pm

Thanks Hatchy, how much rubber you wearing down there at the moment?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:21 pm

steve shearer wrote:Thanks Hatchy, how much rubber you wearing down there at the moment?
You could get away with a spring suit at the moment Steve in my neck of the woods. Temperatures are still around the 20 degrees mark but I'd probably advise a 3/2 steamer for King Island as it's bound to be colder.

I always wear a 3/2 for sunburn protection in summer but in winter I'll wear a hotskin vest underneath as they do a good job (I hate 4/3's)

If you're going late autumn or winter to King Island you'd want booties and a hood, and a 4/3, as I'm betting it'll get bloody cold.

Would love updates/photos if you do go, the place looks like it would have some great waves
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:47 pm

Probably off topic, but I heard the Shire president of the island offered it as a place for a new detention centre for asylum seekers - apparently they can't get enough people to work there. (I've seen some good shots of there too, and not all Martha's)

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:08 pm

Surfed there once Steve, place on the south side Red Hut something or other. Went in on spec with dinghy off a mother ship, and anchored off the break. Yep, it's cold, but psychologically being above southern Tas, we didn't think it was too bad. This was in Autumn mind you and an unseasonally fresh almost balmy northerly was blowing, clean as a whistle, fullsome long lines. Some power as it had fetch.
The shipwreck place Martha's whatever is further round on the west side i think. Got a mate who lived there for a while. Popped an email off today for a bit of info. Anything comes of it I'll post.
But hell yeah, go for the experience. And the cream too. :o

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:20 pm

Steve, I'm not sure where I saw it but there has been a thread on this (could have sworn it was Realsurf). Anyway, the consensus was there's plenty of surf to be had there.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:29 pm

always been interested in this place, did you end up going steve :?:
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Fri May 20, 2011 6:39 pm

I've been to King Island. Great place.
I was only there for a few days, and unfortunately we didn't get much surf.
If you're thinking about moving there, take up kite surfing. It's in the "roaring 40's". Windy all the time. You should see the vegetation around the coastline.... not much in the way of tall trees.... all low laying scrub/bushes.
I went for a surf one afternoon. Onshore wind slop. It's quite freaky. They farm kelp down that way and when the tide goes out the kelp is close enough to the surface to brush your feet. Freaks you right out.
I had booties and a 3/2 on, If you were there in the colder months you'd need a good quality flexible 4/3.
There are a few breaks around the island. Some you need to access through private property. There aren't many surfers on the island so crowds aren't much of an issue.
If you want a bit of culture, try and time it with the annual king island race meet. Apparently a good day out, i had to nick off to Hobart for a wedding so missed it, but the other boys had a good time.
If you're going to head over to the island, book a car/4wd in advance. There aren't many hire cars on the island. And tell them you're going to stay on the roads or they might not take your booking.
I stayed with a friends parents, but can't really go back because his wife is suffering from Cancer.
I took a 6'7 shorty and from memory i was on the boarderline.
The phone reception down there is almost non existant, don't expect sydney style 3G wireless access. I'm pretty sure Telstra 3G is the only mobile reception you'll get there.
Sorry i don't have much more in the way of exact spot details, but that's about as much as i can remember.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.