Malaysia in January

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Malaysia in January

Post by ajohnsen » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:00 am

A mate just won two tickets to Malaysia and has asked me to go with him. The only opportunity to use them is in January, which I understand is not a great time for surf in that part of the world. If anyone can steer me in the right direction in terms of waves, I'd really appreciate it.

Any other tips, hints or observations would be appreciated as I've never been there before.

Ta,

AJ

ronnieron

Re: Malaysia in January

Post by ronnieron » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:52 pm

Hey AJ,

We went to Malaysia this March and drove to Cherating Beach from KL, specifically to go surfing. It was a fun trip but we didn't score any waves however Jan/Feb should be pretty good for waves. We only missed a decent swell by a couple of day (always the way!) so you might score in Jan.

Check out the Long Break review of Cherating;
http://www.longbreak.com.au/destination ... sia/trip1/
http://www.cheratingpoint.com/Home.html

Have fun,

Ronnie

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:16 am

Thanks, Ronnie.

I've been reading some stuff on Cherating. It looks like it gets a bit of wind swell November through March, but nothing spectacular.

We're also thinking that our best bet would be to catch a cheap Air Asia flight somewhere else. Any suggestions along these lines are also welcome.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:00 pm

ajohnsen wrote:We're also thinking that our best bet would be to catch a cheap Air Asia flight somewhere else. Any suggestions along these lines are also welcome.
That time of year (January), you're best bet would be to try and get across to somewhere that pics up North Pacific swells.......say the Philippines?

Or you are just a bees dick from the Ments, so you could hope for some off season small fun uncrowded conditions there in January.

shish
regular

Post by shish » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:41 am

waist to head high slop if your lucky. I recently went to east malaysia. Swell maps looked promising but never got larger than waist high. I got really good waves on the South China Sea side of the Phillipines about 10 years ago.
yeehaa!

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:17 am

Thanks Don, Shish.

I'll check out my Mentawai options, I reckon.

ronnieron

Post by ronnieron » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:29 am

Yeah, I think you need to get lucky in Malaysia to get good waves.

Good luck mate, have fun.

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:58 am

I think way up north west there is a small strip of coastline that faces into the Indian Ocean that isn't blocked by Sumatra...you'll probably get some waves up there. I recall seeing a picture or 2 of Phil MacDonald surfing some decent looking waves up there once. I've only ever been to KL for a couple of work trips never thought anything close to KL would get anything. Probably not much chance of hiring a board there? I'm only ever up there for a week at most so taking a board on the off chance would be more hassle than it's worth.