J-Bay

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

ShaneK

J-Bay

Post by ShaneK » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:40 am

Hey all,

Looking at a trip back from Europe next Southern Hemisphere winter. Thinking of going via South Africa and amongst other things giving Jeffreys Bay (and surrounding area) a go. Having been to Bali last year and being bummed out by the crowds just wanted to see if anyone had been recently and could let me know what the crowd/vibe situation is like.

Thanks
Shane

ShaneK

Re: J-Bay

Post by ShaneK » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:14 am

any takers? I can give you some goods on Peru...

gibber
Local

Post by gibber » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:14 am

a mate spent a month over there in august and my wifes uncle and nephew spent 6 weeks there through august/sept.
Going by what they said it was crowded at times but they all still got waves. there were a lot of zilla's there as well as euro's. Another mate used to go there every few months or so with his work and reckoned that that was the most crowded time of the year so maybe try and avoid the end of winter if you can help it.
Thats all i got mate, could ask them for more info if you want.

ShaneK

Post by ShaneK » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:15 am

Thanks Gibber.

Was looking at early in the winter - maybe June/July.....which sounds like it may be a bit less crowded...

Sounds promising from what you have heard. I am not expecting uncrowded paradise, but there is busy/crowded and then there is zoo like bad vibe etc....

cheers
Shane

spook
Grommet

Post by spook » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:28 pm

i was there in september a few years ago and found it pretty uncrowded. when supers was good there would be 20-30 guys spread out, but you could get waves. didn't really hassle for any sets, just picked off the medium ones
further down the line all the other sections has good waves too, with pretty much no one out. i found it suprisingly uncrowded

Frus

Post by Frus » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:36 am

Camped out in a vw squareback there for 3 weeks in 1981. Had a 7'2"liddle.
What else needs to be said. Was a spectacular experience. Not just the surf, but socially.
Eventually made it back to johannesburg,sold the car, and flew to Rio.