Cycling

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Meataxe
barnacle

Cycling

Post by Meataxe » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:36 am

Given that I'm already doing a fair bit of running and swimming training, I've been thinking about getting a road bike and working my way up to some triathlons.

Does anyone have any advice/opinions on the sport? I am looking for people who have had some experience. I am not looking for wise guys and associated comments about spandex and lates.

How much would it cost to get a decent bike? Second hand is ok.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:00 pm

Yeh I used to do it till I got hit by a car at Dee Why.

There is no need to go out and buy a top of the line bike. Just a mid range bike with say 105 components should do you fine. You can always upgrade later once you get into it.

Road riding is a real danger. Always wear a good helmet and always assume the cars have and can not see you. My helmet saved my life.

Its great fitness but as i say it is risky and a risk I have decided not to take again.

Meataxe
barnacle

Post by Meataxe » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:17 pm

around much is a mid-range bike with "105 components ( :? ) ? I'm guessing around $1500?

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:25 pm

Meaty, I been road cycling for about 10 years on the Northern Beaches. Never been hit, and never really came close. So don't let that put you off. As Natho said, just get a good helmet in case. Don't skimp on that.

It's great exercise for surfing (from an aerobic point of view). And doesn't fark ya knees like running.

As he said, get a mid-range bike for say around the 1.5K to 2k mark. Don't go too cheap as they are crap and pointless. You'll work that out very quickly. Go to Brookvale Bike Factory if you're on this side. They are really honest and will sort you out for what yo need. You can always upgrade your components as long as you get a good frame.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:27 pm

And 105 is just a mid-range component set from Shimano (gears, brakes etc.)

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:56 pm

Be careful of a second hand bike. It is important that the bike is the right fit for you (bit like getting the right dimensions in a surfboard). A good store such as Bike Factory at Brookvale will make sure you get a bike that is fitted properly for you.

Also you want to make sure the second hand bike has not been crashed, and this can be hard unless you know what to look for. Sometimes a frame can have stress fractures and bends that you can hardly see with the naked eye.

If you shop around you can often get great deals on last season models when a new model comes out.

Yes cycling is great fitness for surfing, and can help with lung capacity. Do that along with swimming and you will build a great level of fitness.

It is addictive too.

deepsouth
Grommet

Post by deepsouth » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:19 pm

Yeah, it's awesome fitness!

I've been riding for just over a year now (my missus put me on to it after deciding that I was getting a little soft! :oops:).

I've got a Felt F90 which cost about $800 (reduced as new model was coming in) with 105 components, so you don't need to spend a fortune to get a reasonable bike but remember you get what you pay for! (stupid Thai made boards...)

I ride about 180-220kms per week (to and from work daily plus longer training rides twice a week) plus swimming (when there is no waves) and I've noticed a big increase in lung capacity and also balance when surfing.

I've had a few minor incidents (mainly with wankers in expensive 4WD's) but generally found that if you are careful and ALWAYS assume that the driver hasn't seen you, then you shouldn't have too many dramas!

Meataxe
barnacle

Post by Meataxe » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:25 pm

salty wrote:
I've been hit three times in a period of 12 months.
:shock:

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:35 pm

salty wrote:
BTW, I never wear lyrcra. I've got a pair of really light-weight boardies and singlet. Period! Lycra really serves no purpose as far I'm concered, other than looking the part.
Gotta disagree with ya there Salty. I wear full lycra gear. Not cause it looks good. The chamioux padding in the shorts stops me ass getting sore and helps with sweating and chaff. The top does the same. It's also more wind friendly. It's purely a comfort thing.

Digger
Grommet

Post by Digger » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:44 pm

There is a Sat morning ride for racing bikes only starting at 6am at the Bike Factory at Brooky. This is open to all levels and is particularly good for beginners to learn some bike craft. Suggest you give it a go when you get a bike. You will dramatically increase your learning curve and get a chance to get some good advice from those with a bit more experience. Get a good frame and spend money on good gears. The rest can be upgraded if you get serious but these are the most important things to get right straight out of the gate. Triathlons are awesome. There is great comraderie amongst the competitors and the sense of achievement at just finishing a grueling event is unbeatable (except for an awesome session surfing). Consider investing in a stationary trainer as well. They are cheap and I have never seen one hit by a car.

By the way, late's and triathlons are not the best mix.

vb
Local

Post by vb » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:50 pm

Only been doing the mountain bike thing for the past five months or so and jazzed to be able to get up most of the hills in my suburb. However, I'm wondering if it's doing my surfing all that good. Seems like my leg muscles are pretty good at pushing down, but when it comes to pushing up (pop up) they're not so hot

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:02 pm

Don't know if the NSW Bike Institute is still around although an equivalent would likely be. They organise all sorts of rides from hard training to social in all areas of Sydney. In the 1980's they had a good 40k training circuit on Saturday mornings from the Pacific Highway to Berowra Waters.

As for other rides I would recommend doing the West Head/Akuna Bay area - plenty of hills. Do it early morning to avoid the cars.

Don't let that SMH "Good Weekend" brain injury story from 2 months back put you off but buy a good helmet nonetheless.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:04 pm

vb wrote:Only been doing the mountain bike thing for the past five months or so and jazzed to be able to get up most of the hills in my suburb. However, I'm wondering if it's doing my surfing all that good. Seems like my leg muscles are pretty good at pushing down, but when it comes to pushing up (pop up) they're not so hot
I'd suggest that installing toeclips on your pedals would solve that. By locking your feet onto the pedals they force you to push the pedals up as well as down.

yanks r us
charger

Post by yanks r us » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:27 pm

i dont have to worry about chaffes, i got a small weiner :lol:

bookster
barnacle

Post by bookster » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:29 pm

chrisb wrote:Don't know if the NSW Bike Institute is still around although an equivalent would likely be. They organise all sorts of rides from hard training to social in all areas of Sydney. In the 1980's they had a good 40k training circuit on Saturday mornings from the Pacific Highway to Berowra Waters.

As for other rides I would recommend doing the West Head/Akuna Bay area - plenty of hills. Do it early morning to avoid the cars.

Don't let that SMH "Good Weekend" brain injury story from 2 months back put you off but buy a good helmet nonetheless.
The Bike Institute are called Bicycle NSW now.
http://www.bicyclensw.org.au

All the rides available are here- and anyone can go along!
http://www.pushon.com.au/

It's actually worth considering joining bicycle NSW if you do a bit of riding- as they have personal accident insurance as well as public liability insurance included in the cost. Also, flashing your membership card will usually get you a discount at most bike shops... plus you get the warm fuzzy feeling knowing that your membership also helps lobby the government for improved facilities for cycling.

And if you are looking for routes to ride, this site is great.

The Family Guy

Post by The Family Guy » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:53 pm

vb wrote:Only been doing the mountain bike thing for the past five months or so and jazzed to be able to get up most of the hills in my suburb. However, I'm wondering if it's doing my surfing all that good. Seems like my leg muscles are pretty good at pushing down, but when it comes to pushing up (pop up) they're not so hot
Not quite sure I understand this vb. You're using the same muscle (quads) to push up or push down. However, the speed of your popup come from the shoulders. Its only once you're on your feet the legs kick in. Where you should relly notice it is in the power to push the board through a turn.

vb
Local

Post by vb » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:59 pm

Yeah, could be old age. The only thing is I've got this balance beam type thing in the backyard and a few months ago used to mount it just by leg extensions. Since bike riding, I've found it's impossible

The Family Guy

Post by The Family Guy » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:01 pm

Nothin' worse than gettin' knocked back by a balance beam :wink: