Interesting Trends

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

AC

Interesting Trends

Post by AC » Tue May 09, 2006 2:06 pm

Can someone please explain to me the reason behind 2 intesting trends that I have noticed are on the increase over the past 5 years:

1. Why are so many people washing their boards under the beach showers. I'm not talking a quick spray, I'm talking the full shower for the board. A flick of the towel gets the sand off (or leave the sand on if it is on the roof). In over 25 years of riding foam & fibreglass, I haven't had a board yet which rusted due to salt water exposure or damaged by residual sand build up.

2. Boards on roof racks fins down - looks stupid, increases the potential for damage to the 'working areas' of the board, and exposes the wax to the sun where it can melt.

Hopefully someone can provide answers...

crooked
Local

Post by crooked » Tue May 09, 2006 2:41 pm

its coz theyre stupid.

thats why people do everything, coz theyre stupid!

rae
Local

Post by rae » Tue May 09, 2006 3:18 pm

I rinse my board under the showers :oops: - someone told me it was better for it and i never really questioned it.

still here
charger

Post by still here » Tue May 09, 2006 3:45 pm

Never seen fins down but it seems a board is "crisper" if rinsed .... as with lettuce . Salt messes with the definity of crystalline structures and gradually alters the cell walls .

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Tue May 09, 2006 3:51 pm

I always rinse of the salt, dry it especially around the grub srews and swivel on the leggy, being metal type bits.

Fins down on racks.......kooks!

CaT_SPeW
charger

Post by CaT_SPeW » Tue May 09, 2006 4:25 pm

i rinse mine. mainly coz it sits inside the house and not in the garage.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Tue May 09, 2006 5:30 pm

Rockin' Ron wrote:
still here wrote:Never seen fins down but it seems a board is "crisper" if rinsed .... as with lettuce . Salt messes with the definity of crystalline structures and gradually alters the cell walls .
farken 'ell! Now I've heard it all...

answers...

1. there are a lot of anal people in the world and those with gear fetishes are common among surfers....sort of blokes that re-tie their leggies over and over before hopping in...

2. Testimony to the amount of half-wit, no idea types who pervade coastal areas under the delusion that they surf. I blame surf cams...
Even if I wanted to rinse, I wouldn't be able to because of the shitty water pressure in the showers on the Manly strip. That's what I blame surf cams for. :wink:

Hawkeye
barnacle

Post by Hawkeye » Tue May 09, 2006 5:49 pm

I rinse off without fail when I get out cuz I have a dry skin problem, and if I don't my face falls to bits from the salt if I let it dry on. Ain't pretty - especially since I ain't no oil painting to begin with. :lol:

Not keen on leaving salt on the board for the same reason - it's corrosive. I rinse and dry it before putting it in the cover because I hate that gross smell that seems to emanate from gear that's stowed wet, and I'd rather the zippers on the travel cover didn't corrode solid this week if at all possible.

I also rinse and spin-dry my wetty before I hang it up in the shade when I get home. :shock:

In case you hadn't worked it out I'm the anal retentive type who likes lookin' after 'is gear. :lol: :lol: :lol:

But as for putting boards on the racks with the fins down - someone should have a quiet word with them. :roll: Won't be me - I'd have trouble keeping a straight face! :lol:

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Tue May 09, 2006 6:30 pm

:lol: :lol: Another city surf fad ............... :lol: :lol:

greygrom
regular

Post by greygrom » Tue May 09, 2006 6:39 pm

Hilarious :shock:

City softkooks. At my beach they turned the showers off two years ago. A quick stomp of the feet and flick of the towel is all that is required to leave the sand in the carpark.

Washing your board .... my god how very, very .... ummmm .... sad!!.

I wonder do these new fangled plastic signature model, shopping mall selection popouts come with "washing instructions" :P

still here
charger

Post by still here » Tue May 09, 2006 6:42 pm

Ron , if you want to see what salt water can do to cell structures , put a condom in a glass of sea water for a couple weeks . (If you want to accelerate the process put the glass in a sunny spot like kitchen window sill or living room ). Make sure to have a second glass with pure water and a condom as well placed in a sunny spot to see the difference . :shock: [/quote]

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue May 09, 2006 7:05 pm

Make sure you take the condom off first :lol: :lol: :lol:
I wash my log after a surf because I put it on the roof and I can't wash my car these days :?
Also if you keep it in a zip up cover it does rust the zippers.
Has anyone noticed boards stay wet in covers?
I can grab mine after 5 days and the leggie strap is still wet. 2 days and the board still has water on it. I guess its condensation.
As for the upside down board syndrome I wondered about that myself.
I reckon its because a lot of cars have oddly curved roofs :roll: :roll:

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Tue May 09, 2006 7:10 pm

Beanpole wrote:Make sure you take the condom off first :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Beanpole wrote:I wash my log after a surf because I put it on the roof and I can't wash my car these days :?
Also if you keep it in a zip up cover it does rust the zippers.
Has anyone noticed boards stay wet in covers?
How about just wiping it down with your beach towel .............. :idea: :wink:

stoive
barnacle

Post by stoive » Tue May 09, 2006 8:06 pm

i do? i like feeling dry

Chrisp
barnacle

Post by Chrisp » Tue May 09, 2006 8:54 pm

I always rinse myboard off, one reason is because I've heard salt damages it (same reason I was my wettie when I get out too)

But also if you rinse it off it stops a little bit of salt water getting into the zip of your board bag and corroding it..............why do they make metal zips :?:

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Tue May 09, 2006 9:03 pm

what's with all these people pretending to be soul surfers, but yet caring about what others do at the showers?
If it bothers you so much, make a complaint to sydney water, or go and ask the person why they're washing themselves with water.
who would of thought, humans using water to clean themselves and their surfboard at the beach.
what's this world coming to. it's not like the old days anymore is it.... :roll:

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Tue May 09, 2006 9:22 pm

Beanpole wrote:Make sure you take the condom off first :lol: :lol: :lol:
No don't take it off, you might catch AIDS. :D

Rinsing the board, I do that too.

Can't say Iv'e seen many boards on roof racks with the fins downwards.
Last edited by chrisb on Tue May 09, 2006 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.