robotic Snapper cam

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

streetdaddy
Local

robotic Snapper cam

Post by streetdaddy » Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:09 pm

if you're on a broadband connection and haven't seen it then you're missing out!

But what really annoys the hell out of me is when you're watching someone go absolutely nuts on a good set wave and then Mr Robotic decides to pan down the beach.... arghh! No shit, I'm sure it was Mick Fanning...

Longboarder
regular

Post by Longboarder » Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:31 pm

Lol yeah i know what you mean, still on my 512k down and 256k up the quality isn't that good, and when the camera gets dirty or its raining it just sucks.

thermalben
charger

Post by thermalben » Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:01 pm

Longboarder wrote:still on my 512k down and 256k up the quality isn't that good
Are you kidding? You must have amazingly high standards - the vision on the Snapper cam is excellent. Just think back 2 years ago when we were lucky to get 1 picture every 30 seconds... this is leaps and bounds ahead.

streetdaddy
Local

Post by streetdaddy » Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:57 am

Longboarder wrote:Lol yeah i know what you mean, still on my 512k down and 256k up the quality isn't that good, and when the camera gets dirty or its raining it just sucks.
:?: what, like in comparison to being on the beach?!! Oh well, nothing wrong with high standards I guess...

Longboarder
regular

Post by Longboarder » Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:09 am

I guess yas have a point but i dunno some of the streams i have gotten from other cams have been nothing but perfect so thats the comparison i have been using.

And it wouldnt even be 2 years ago for some people. i bet there are users online now still on 13k Modems somewhere. :)

streetdaddy
Local

Post by streetdaddy » Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:49 pm

sure is! < 6 months ago I developed an account management site for company that has about 95% rural customers.

"We want all the wizz-bang stuff, graphing applets, bloated-javascript interface, interactive-maps etc., and ofcourse this should all be able to load in under 10 seconds on a 14.4k modem connection... you can do that, right?"

yeah whatever...

anyway, CW has it as close to streaming video footage as you'll get for now, bigups to them for the dedication and for keeping it free (for now at least ;))

Longboarder
regular

Post by Longboarder » Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:21 pm

Yeah coastalwatch do need to be congratulated for keeping it free

streetdaddy
Local

Post by streetdaddy » Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:28 pm

wouldn't you love to see their business plan though! AFAIK there is sweet f.a. money in banner-advertising, so where is the profit? Or is it gonna be coming down the track? Seems all the good sites go pay, and fair enough i guess...

Longboarder
regular

Post by Longboarder » Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:33 pm

Yeah the huge bandwidth costs virtually mean the sites have to go pay-tv.

My dad owns tennis.com.au and hasn't put up any banners yet but when he does i expect some big monies coming his way

thermalben
charger

Post by thermalben » Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:06 pm

Longboarder wrote:...hasn't put up any banners yet but when he does i expect some big monies coming his way
That's the funniest thing I have seen in ages...

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:25 am

they're a bunch of goldie boys, if it is the crew i am thinking of. ex griffith uni crew who are fully stoked on surfing. pretty cool.

Longboarder
regular

Post by Longboarder » Sat Jan 24, 2004 3:03 pm

thermalben wrote:
Longboarder wrote:...hasn't put up any banners yet but when he does i expect some big monies coming his way
That's the funniest thing I have seen in ages...
I meant if nike and slazenger or companies like them realised the potential that tennis.com.au has they would want to advertise there. If thats funny please explain...

thermalben
charger

Post by thermalben » Sat Jan 24, 2004 4:58 pm

Longboarder, it's 'funny' because in actual fact, there is very little money in online advertising. Simply owning a website name related to companies with lots of $$ doesn't mean that they'll throw it your way. First of all, any such website needs to create a product, then a strong presence, and then some return traffic to the website. At the moment tennis.com.au hasn't got any of these attributes - so there's absolutely not way in the world that your dad can "expect some big monies" from banner ads just because he shelled out $100 for the domain name. I mean, have a look at http://www.tennis.com - it's instantly in a league above tennis.com.au. There's also http://www.atptennis.com/ - this is a one stop shop for all current tennis news. This is pretty stuff competition - what part of the market is you dad looking to fill? At the moment it looks like he's just trying to sell the domain.

Longboarder
regular

Post by Longboarder » Sat Jan 24, 2004 5:25 pm

I based what i said upon the fact that over 1300 people are visiting the site aday. If you were a company with a foot in tennis wouldn't you think a page that has nothing on it thats getting that many visits a day would be worth something more then the money that was paid for the domain. 1300 a day is alot and if i was that company i would pay money to advertise there. I will concede big money was probably a mistake in what i said but none the less monies and that your right just owning a related domain to a sport doesn't gurantee anything!

The 13XX is a regular number in the sites traffic statistics and when tennis competitions start such as the australian open even more people visit the site.

Not all the time does a product, return traffic and what not need to exist, some people just type in tennis.com.au thinking they will find information about tennis and it seems that there are alot of people who think this way or even some who like to check back to see if the site has been updated yet. Being in a sites league has nothing to do with whats happening here

Dad just put whats there incase he gets a really good offer until he figures out how to use it to its potential

streetdaddy
Local

Post by streetdaddy » Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:00 am

The problem with online advertising, e.g. popups and banners, is that there still isn't any guarantee that ppl will even see the banners:

x% of ppl block popup ads (this is becoming more and more prevalant)
x% of ppl block banner ads (a smaller number of ppl, but many do)
x% of ppl subconciously ignore them completely after years of net-surfing

I don't know what the x's are, but I'm sure its a growing percentage...

thermalben
charger

Post by thermalben » Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:34 pm

Coastalwatch have a brand new robotic cam at Dee Why too - just a pity there's no surf to see whether it looks any good!

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:32 pm

geee,

wouldn't it be cool to get one of those in SA??? :wink: