Forum, contact or site for C. American travel n real estate?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Kulharin
Grommet

Forum, contact or site for C. American travel n real estate?

Post by Kulharin » Mon May 09, 2022 7:05 am

Anyone know a helpful forum, contact or web site for Central American surf travel and real estate?

I'm a west coast Canadian who has spend ten years off and on surfing on Vancouver Island, which has grown exponentially more expensive and busy during that time. I'm also 40 now and throwing on a wet wetsuit on a cold late fall / early spring morning is just not as exciting as it once was :P ... I've been to Hawaii a couple times, Costa Rica once and Mexico three times. I am planning on making fewer trips out the island and starting to explore down south more over the next five years... and potentially real estate within the next 10 years.

I've been doing some research now of places I'd like to check out, surf and explore in alignment with my values and have a few considerations to weigh. If anyone could point me in a helpful direction that'd be great; otherwise I could go down that rabbit hole here?

Cranked
Duke Status

Re: Forum, contact or site for C. American travel n real estate?

Post by Cranked » Mon May 09, 2022 11:11 am

A friend lived on an island not far from Puerto Escondido for about 5 years and loved it.

I'll text him for more details. He probably won't mind a little exposure as he's been in Bali for the last 5 years or more.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Kulharin
Grommet

Post by Kulharin » Tue May 10, 2022 4:30 am

Oaxaca region is certainly on my list of places in Mexico to visit. Been to Baja Sur and Nayarit so far, both had their pros and cons.

Kulharin
Grommet

Post by Kulharin » Mon May 16, 2022 2:39 am

A few considerations would be proximity to an international airport. A 2.5 hour drive from airport to destination would be around the maximum. I am also looking for somewhere that has sustainability and conservation in mind with good environmental policies... Unfortunately surf tourism has been incredibly exploitative; places I've been to in Mexico that have now been heavily privatized with multiple gated resorts adjacent to one another, or once laid back towns that have been now been overrun. For me it's a real balancing act and that may be the trickiest consideration.